Photo

Leg of Lamb

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 RossnPepper

RossnPepper

Hamburger Helper

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

I'd like to try something a little different on the Kamado and I'd like to smoke / roast a fresh leg of lamb.
I have the aKorn Kamado. does anybody have any idea of methods that I might use to cook this meat.
Akorn CharGriller Kamado Kooker and Broil King Crown 70 gasser with rotisserie kit

#2 LostArrow

LostArrow

Fire Tender

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationJackson Ms.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

I love leg of lamb & often cook for the holidays.
I'd buy a boneless leg or remove the bone.
I make a paste of olive oil, lemon juice, parsley , rosemary, minced garlic, pepper, salt & a little oregiono & rub the inside & out & roll & tie in butcher string, sit overnite .
Start fire in CGK , get to 230 F , put heat diffuser on main rack & lamb on upper rack & smoke till internal about 110F, remove lamb & diffuser & ramp up to 500F , put lamb on main grate to sear & pull @ 130F.
I make a sauce with the lamb juices, mixed with half mint jelly & mild pepper jelly.
New Braunfels El Darado , Vermont Casting , WSM, Double Chef, mini WSM, SRG,
Chargriller Kamodo.
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

#3 RossnPepper

RossnPepper

Hamburger Helper

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

yes, I like the idea of removing the bone first. I might substitute thyme for the rosemary / oregano and also add the zest of the lemon peel...this is just a personal preference. and maybe a smidge of cinnamon?
I am wondering why you would not put the heat diffuser on the weber grate and the lamb on the main grate. Also approx. what is the length of time to get the meat temp to 110. I like the idea of catching the juices and making a sauce with it. when you have it at 500 do you just leave it or do you turn it? I like your dog. I need to take a better pic of mine.
Akorn CharGriller Kamado Kooker and Broil King Crown 70 gasser with rotisserie kit

#4 LostArrow

LostArrow

Fire Tender

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationJackson Ms.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

"I am wondering why you would not put the heat diffuser on the weber grate and the lamb on the main grate"
Just makes it easier to change from indirect to direct.
New Braunfels El Darado , Vermont Casting , WSM, Double Chef, mini WSM, SRG,
Chargriller Kamodo.
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

#5 Ross

Ross

Kamado Master

• Global Moderators
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

I can't speak for the Akorn, but I'm finding that with the Vision things just seem to come out better on the second rack, although I still cook steaks as low to the coals as I can.

Join the 2014 Kamado Guru Fantasy Football League! http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/12159-the-league-2014/

#6 RossnPepper

RossnPepper

Hamburger Helper

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

I managed to score a fresh half leg marked down and am going to use it tomorrow on the akorn. I had to remove the bone and it is sitting in some clubhouse la grille marinade. the marinade package has been sitting in my pantry for quite some time, and it is actually for beef, pork or chicken and is a greek marinade.
I just had to mix it with a little water, oil and vinegar. my real focus is the actual cooking technique.
I have planned my strategy as follows. I am going to use the high searing basket with briquettes, maybe up to a dozen of them. I will sear the meat directly over the coals for about 2 minutes give a half turn and do another 2 minutes, then flip over and do another 4 minutes. the idea is to try and get it browned and charred a little. then I will move the meat to the indirect side and give another 4 minutes per side or until I reach an internal temperature of about 135 degree F. then pull the meat off the grill and let rest for at least 5 more minutes. the butcher took off early so I couldn't get him to bone me a full leg, but tomorrow morning I will return and have him de bone a full leg. with that one, I'll do my own fresh marinade with herbs from the garden, including home grown garlic from my big brother.

#7 mishtar

mishtar

Looking for Charcoal

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

I love leg of lamb & often cook for the holidays.
I'd buy a boneless leg or remove the bone.
I make a paste of olive oil, lemon juice, parsley , rosemary, minced garlic, pepper, salt & a little oregiono & rub the inside & out & roll & tie in butcher string, sit overnite .
Start fire in CGK , get to 230 F , put heat diffuser on main rack & lamb on upper rack & smoke till internal about 110F, remove lamb & diffuser & ramp up to 500F , put lamb on main grate to sear & pull @ 130F.
I make a sauce with the lamb juices, mixed with half mint jelly & mild pepper jelly.

I know this is from last year but I tried doing this today and there was no meat juice at all to make a sauce. I had a diffuser in and the lamb on the top rack and a catch pan below it but I think there are maybe 4 drip spots where juice hit the catch tray but not actual juice=/  It also took a lot less time then I thought it would, I heated the grill to about 250 and it took a little less then an hour.

#8 DerHusker

DerHusker

Kamado Master

• Global Moderators
  • 4,177 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

Greetings mishtar and welcome to Kamado Guru. Please stop by the Introductions forum and introduce yourself. I've never done lamb before so I'm not sure what happened.

What's the Challenge this month?

Primo Oval XL, Vision Classic Kamado with Adjustable Rig, 60" Members Mark Gasser, Weber 22.5" OTS & Weber Go Anywhere