8 replies to this topic

#1 yo_quiero_fumar

yo_quiero_fumar

Slow Smoking

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationWestern Massachusetts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

This is a basic spanish-style rice dish using leftover pulled pork.

Arroz Con Carne de Cerdo
(Rice with Pork)

2 Cups Boiling Water
2 Cups Medium Grain Rice
1-2 Cups cooked pork, chopped
1 Package Goya Sazon
1 Tbsp Goya Sofrito
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Tsp Table Salt (optional)

First fill a teapot with more than 2 cups worth of water and set to start boiling.

Pre-heat a Caldero if you have one, or use medium sized steel sauce pan, over medium heat. I don't recommend any reactive metal pans such as copper or cast iron. After it heats a little (about 2 minutes) add the oil, allow that to heat until it shimmers (about 2-3 minutes). Then add the chopped pork and let brown until you're happy with how it looks.

Posted Image

Next throw the Sazon and Sofrito in the pot, measure 2 cups of boiling water stir into the mixture. Then add the rice and stir it all up. It's easier to measure the 2 cups of rice out ahead of time and set aside in a bowl. If you want a kick of flavor add the salt now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and let simmer for 25 minutes or so (do not disturb the rice, leave it alone!). The grain should be open and puffy when it's fully cooked, if it's sticky there was too much water and needs to cook longer, if crunchy add a little more water and stir the pot. Stir it up after this initial cook (there will be some rice caramelized on the bottom, that's called pegao and some people enjoy eating it), then turn off the heat and let sit for at least ten minutes.

Posted Image

This is the basic recipe, it tastes great with additional ingredients such as fresh garlic, diced tomatoes, peppers, onions, beans, etc. Add with the rice and it will certainly kick it up a notch!

Enjoy.
  • mapett likes this
Mastering: Pulled Pork, Pork Ribs, Beef Ribs, Whole Chicken, Brisket
Own and Use: Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" Kettle, Charbroil LP Portable Grill, Masterforge Patio Grill, Chargriller Akorn Kamado
-
Visit http://smokinbbqdude.blogspot.com/ "BBQ for the Average Dude"
-
"Salt is fine... have salt in yourselves, and keep peace." Mark 9:50

#2 rwhinton

rwhinton

Guru Site Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationTexas Hill Country

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yum. Looks great. Thanks for the recipe.

Primo Oval XL · Kamado Joe Jr. · Weber Performer · 18.5 WSM · mini-WSM · Weber Jumbo Joe 

#3 yo_quiero_fumar

yo_quiero_fumar

Slow Smoking

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

Yum. Looks great. Thanks for the recipe.

Thanks! The pictures just dont do it justice, it is really good and so easy to make! I know a lot of people enjoy spanish rice, throw a drained can of red beans in here and you've got it. I hope everyone can benefit from a little ethnic cooking.
Own and Use: Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" Kettle, Charbroil LP Portable Grill, Masterforge Patio Grill, Chargriller Akorn Kamado
-
-

#4 rwhinton

rwhinton

Guru Site Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationTexas Hill Country

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

I hope everyone can benefit from a little ethnic cooking.

As far as I am concerned that is as much home cooking as chicken-friend steak.

Primo Oval XL · Kamado Joe Jr. · Weber Performer · 18.5 WSM · mini-WSM · Weber Jumbo Joe 

#5 Marty

Marty

Kamado Master

• Members
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

It looks delicious. It reminds me of the one that Daisy Martinez had in the Daisy Cooks. She heated her olive oil in annatto seeds to make the rice yellow and used some stuffed olives and capers in hers ( alcaparrado )-oh and a half cup of sofrito.

as you say you can put in many things. It is absolutely delicious.

#6 yo_quiero_fumar

yo_quiero_fumar

Slow Smoking

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

It looks delicious. It reminds me of the one that Daisy Martinez had in the Daisy Cooks. She heated her olive oil in annatto seeds to make the rice yellow and used some stuffed olives and capers in hers ( alcaparrado )
as you say you can put in many things. It is absolutely delicious.

Thanks! The Sazon has ground annatto (achiote) and amarillo in it to give it that yellow color. Its very common to use olives and capers in spanish cooking but my wife hates capers and I don't like olives in anything but dirty martinis. I really recommend the Caldero, and they come in a 3 pack for cheap and will last a very long time. One thing I didnt do and should have was added a teaspoon of salt. The Sazon didnt have enough and it could have used a hint more. Ill leave that up to the cook to decide.
-
-

#7 Marty

Marty

Kamado Master

• Members
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

I do a double pack of dried beans weekly. I cut ham and brown it. I add four peppers as a mix of red, yellow, green, and Pableno diced. A onion diced and a few of cloves chopped garlic and water. The thing that makes this is the Sazon. I put about three table spoons in. With out he Sazon n it would be ordinary instead of extraordinary
This is a wonderful flavoring agent. .
Puilled pork the way you show would also be great---I have used the trimmings from the ribs.

#8 yo_quiero_fumar

yo_quiero_fumar

Slow Smoking

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

I do a double pack of dried beans weekly. I cut ham and brown it. I add four peppers as a mix of red, yellow, green, and Pableno diced. A onion diced and a few of cloves chopped garlic and water. The thing that makes this is the Sazon. I put about three table spoons in. With out he Sazon n it would be ordinary instead of extraordinary
This is a wonderful flavoring agent. .
Puilled pork the way you show would also be great---I have used the trimmings from the ribs.

That sounds awesome, I never had made beans that way. Meaning from dry. How long do you cook them and how? Speaking of Sazon, have you tried their Ham flavored one? Also, shallots in place of onion adds a better garlic flavor, try it sometime!
-
-

#9 yo_quiero_fumar

yo_quiero_fumar

Slow Smoking

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

Update: today I made this rice again but used Sazon with Azafran instead of the usual Coriander and Annatto and the color and flavor was much better. I also added a couple spanish olives, and it was excellent.
-
-