• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#166 ercougar

ercougar

Microwave Madman

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

I did ribs last night. Set up a ring of fire, lit and left the lid open for the few minutes it took me to oil the grates and get the temp controller set up. Shut the lid, with the top vent open just a sliver past the little half moon and let it go. Temp came up to 225 and held for two hours. I didn't have to do a thing. I don't think a traeger could be any easier.

I've read about people overshooting this way, and I wonder if the ring of fire works better than the volcano to prevent this. With the volcano, you have increasingly large circles of lump exposed to flame, while with the ring, you only have the same few pieces exposed, so your chances of lighting too much lump in that opening phase seem lower. Just a thought.

I did get a 25 degree spike when I opened the lid to foil the ribs and left the auber plugged in. It didn't go past 255 though, so I'm not sure it's even with worrying about.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#167 qprhooligan

qprhooligan

Toaster King

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

In post #1 it says to change 0037 to...

Under code 0037:
Caly 1
bb 60
SF 12

But can someone tell me what the factory defaults were? I changed them but can't find the original settings in the manual.

Thanks.

UPDATE:
Auber sent me the factory defaults in an email, they are...

Caty=1
SF=20
BB=40

#168 Marty

Marty

Kamado Master

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

If you are asking me I'm not sure as I have never tried to go that high. But I would bet you could get it up to 700 if you tried. 6 cfm is a lot of air.

Irvin F.
King Griller w/Auber PID

After my first cook, I ran the CGK up to 400 from 225 using the Auber. (I opened the top vent from 0.75 to 2.0). It took about 10 minutes to get to 400 and once it reached that temp, the fan came on very infrequently to hold the 400 degree temperature over the next 30 minutes. I have no doubt that 500 degrees is an easy feat for the Auber.

I regularly take the AKORN up to 430--450 when I am doing chicken. i have pulled the probe out of the dome and let the temp come up to 600. I have no doubt that you could self destruct the whole kamado if you left the fan in with the top vent wide open and the sensor probe out side the cooker. It would hit 1000 with not problem at all. Some people have reported using the Auber to make pizza by leaving the sensor out and letting it run up to 500.

#169 Rikerz

Rikerz

Sterno Stover

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for all the info folks, I just ordered myself one of these as I am getting too busy/lazy to tend the fire constantly.  Not that the Akorn needs it.

God, family and grilling.  In that order folks!

#170 zarriko

zarriko

Toaster King

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

Ken, thanks for posting these numbers.  I got mine last week and updated the settings immediately.  Sorry to those who read this, haha.  It's a long post.  I got the Auber because after several successful cooks of pulled pork, brisket, pizza, hamburgers, steaks, etc.  However, the brisket I made last came out great, but the wind was dead outside.  There was no wind at all.  The fire kept dying down and I spent the whole night tinkering with the vents.  I eventually set up a fan outside on my back patio in front of the Akorn and that helped some, but was hard to find a good balance.  I finally thought I found a good balance and then in the morning the wind picked up and my temp was up 25 degrees over my target temp.  At that point is when I looked closer and researched more about the temp controllers.  I love to barbecue, I love to eat barbecue, but I also need sleep.  I have two little kids at 4 and 2 and a busy life and just don't want to stay up all night for overnight cooks tinkering with vents when the wind changes.  Anyhow, I did a test run where I let the Auber take me up to 225 using the volcano method with lump and also wood chunks throughout.  It overshot my temp to about 255.  It settled down after an hour and 45 minutes (gradually declined in temp back to target). It held at my target temp of 225 (+/- 2-3 degrees) overnight for about 8 more hours.  

My second run was yesterday. I set up two pulled porks Saturday night at 11:30pm and I took them off the smoker around 3:30pm Sunday afternoon. The Auber performed amazing. This time I filled by bowl 2/3 to 3/4 full instead of a full volcano method (wood chunks throughout mainly towards the center and bottom but covered by lump) and had an ever so slight volcano in the center but mostly it was level.  I had an indention in the center down 3-4 inches or so and lit an alcohol (isopropyl) cotton ball in that spot. I put a piece of lump over it and then placed my smokin' stone and then grating and closed the lid.  I let the fire get started for a couple of minutes (had the Auber hooked up and set the top vent to just slightly more than the the reverse D - mine doesn't have numbers on top vent) and let the Auber run for little bit then unplugged the fan.  Then let it run for another short time, then unplugged the fan.  I did this a couple times until I got to about 10 degrees of my target temp and I didn't overshoot at all this time.  It worked great.  I felt like this was better than letting the Auber fully take me to temp.  Anyway, once I got there the Auber held temp to within 5 degrees the whole time of 14 hours. Amazing!  What a great and smart little device.  I slept so well knowing and trusting it was doing its job.  I had woken up a couple of times and glanced at my Maverick during the night just to check on it and saw the temp holding.  I even left the house (never thought I'd do that) for about 6 hours to go to church and eat lunch, etc) and the temp was perfect when I got back.  The Auber was holding the temp rock solid.  When I took them off and looked at my fire bowl I saw that only about 1/8 - 1/4 of the load was used.  I guess some of the wood chunks turn into lump charcoal in a way so those pretty much have a double use.  Anyway, I can't imagine not using it now! Totally recommend the Auber PID!

#171 Rikerz

Rikerz

Sterno Stover

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Mine arrived, stated to use it but need to grill hamburgers so I took it off.  Reprogrammed it before I ever set it up.  Seemed to work pretty good while I had it attached.  I will run a test probably Wed using the ring of fire method.

God, family and grilling.  In that order folks!

#172 Improv

Improv

Guru Site Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

I thought I'd throw my two cents into this great thread since I've recently joined the Auber club. I went a slightly different route and got their multipurpose controller (1500ELPM) instead of the dedicated charcoal smoker controller (SYL-1615SYS).

1500Efronta.jpg

I got the 6.5cfm fan and use a small AC adapter to run it from the outlet on the 1500. I don't recommend this option if all you want to do is control your kamado, as it's considerably more expensive. I also want to control a crock pot to do sous vide with mine. I know IrvinF has successfully rigged his to run AC equipment for less money overall, but my system requires less tinkering so I went the easy route.

Anyway, I gave it a run with pork shoulder yesterday and it didn't work very well with factory settings. I asked Auber what they would recommend for settings to make it behave most like a stock SYL-1615SYS and they replied "P=300, I=300, d=70 and t=15". Those didn't work that great either, so I tried the settings from this thread. While they worked better, it still overshot considerably.

Then I realized last night after my cook that the settings for this model use a different unit of measurement for "P"... 0.1°. So in order to set it to 0.8, one would set the 1500ELPM to "8". To change P/I/D settings on this model, you hold "set" for 4 seconds then enter the lock code 166. There is no damp constant control that I can find, but all the other settings are found there.

I also put felt around the opening of my fan. With it, I cannot slide the whole thing into the vent track anymore, but I can wedge the bottom in and the felt along the top keeps a good seal. With this modification and the proper settings, I'm having no trouble holding really low temps today, even letting the Auber bring the cooker up to temp. The key seems to be very judicious lighting of the charcoal (I'm using a ring of fire today) and keeping the top vent as closed as possible. Right now it's holding at 190° for me after taking about 20 minutes to get to that temp. I'll be trying different temps throughout the day.

The bonus with these settings is that they also seem to control my crockpot very well based on my tests overnight. So I won't ever have to change a thing to move this controller between my smoker and my slow cookers. Sweet!

Dave
2013 Char-Griller Akorn -- 2014 Akorn Junior -- 2011 Weber Genesis EP-330 -- Auber Multipurpose temp control

#173 Improv

Improv

Guru Site Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

I held 190°, 210°, and 225° for over an hour each today with +/- 5° error overall. Average accuracy was within 3° I'd say. Awesome.

Dave
2013 Char-Griller Akorn -- 2014 Akorn Junior -- 2011 Weber Genesis EP-330 -- Auber Multipurpose temp control

#174 Hot In AZ

Hot In AZ

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationPeoria Arizona

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

I received the auber earlier this week but today is the first day I've had to test it. I purchased it mainly on the comments from this thread ( and having trouble holding temps for a long period of time). I have the char-griller akorn. I have done the mods for the akorn: nomex gasket on the lid, ash pan and the bottom slide.

The first thing I did was to re-program the Auber with the information provided here. Next step was to add nomex to the blower to get a snug fit. Time to fire up the grill!

I use the volcano method with cotton balls to start. I allowded the fire to burn for a few minutes to ensure the start, then put in the weber grate, pizza pan as diffuser, then the grate. When I attached the blower, the temp of the grill was 158. My target was 225 as my first test. I am using the Auber in conjustion with the Maverick ET-732. The first problem was that the temp difference between the two gauges, the Auber was 10 degrees cooler than the maverick. Ok, no big deal since you can adjust the auber for temp difference( can someone post on how to make that adjustment plz?). From 158 the temp continued to rise to 15 degrees above target. It stabilized briefly and then the fire went out! I made no adjustments to anything with the top set at .75 open.

I restarted the fire with the same tempature goal of 225 ( auber set at 215 to compensate for the difference). The temp rose to 7 degrees abive target befire stabalizing, dropped to 7 degrees below target, then raised to 2 degrees below target which held for approx 1.25 hours. Now the problem.

The maverick is currently registering 207 degrees, the Auber is showing 213. What the ? Now the temp difference between the two is 15 degrees different than when I started! I have the probes on opposite sides of the grate due to the position of the availability of the electricity but this shouldn't be a probelm since the fire is generating fromt the center and being diffused.

Any ideas? I really want to get this to work right so I can attempt a long and slow for a brisket. Thank you in advance your your help!

David

#175 Hot In AZ

Hot In AZ

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationPeoria Arizona

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

I received the auber earlier this week but today is the first day I've had to test it. I purchased it mainly on the comments from this thread ( and having trouble holding temps for a long period of time). I have the char-griller akorn. I have done the mods for the akorn: nomex gasket on the lid, ash pan and the bottom slide.

The first thing I did was to re-program the Auber with the information provided here. Next step was to add nomex to the blower to get a snug fit. Time to fire up the grill!

I use the volcano method with cotton balls to start. I allowded the fire to burn for a few minutes to ensure the start, then put in the weber grate, pizza pan as diffuser, then the grate. When I attached the blower, the temp of the grill was 158. My target was 225 as my first test. I am using the Auber in conjustion with the Maverick ET-732. The first problem was that the temp difference between the two gauges, the Auber was 10 degrees cooler than the maverick. Ok, no big deal since you can adjust the auber for temp difference( can someone post on how to make that adjustment plz?). From 158 the temp continued to rise to 15 degrees above target. It stabilized briefly and then the fire went out! I made no adjustments to anything with the top set at .75 open.

I restarted the fire with the same tempature goal of 225 ( auber set at 215 to compensate for the difference). The temp rose to 7 degrees abive target befire stabalizing, dropped to 7 degrees below target, then raised to 2 degrees below target which held for approx 1.25 hours. Now the problem.

The maverick is currently registering 207 degrees, the Auber is showing 213. What the ? Now the temp difference between the two is 15 degrees different than when I started! I have the probes on opposite sides of the grate due to the position of the availability of the electricity but this shouldn't be a probelm since the fire is generating fromt the center and being diffused.

Any ideas? I really want to get this to work right so I can attempt a long and slow for a brisket. Thank you in advance your your help!

David

Still on the first run. From 213 degress I wanted to see what would happen increasing the temp to 250. Temp is currently 282 after 25 mins.

#176 mbellot

mbellot

Fire Tender

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

I have had some problems with the Auber overshooting and then snuffing the fire too.

Last weekend I did a couple butts and tried something different. I've only done it once, so take it for what it's worth...

I've always tried to creep the temperature up, but as I said, overshoot always seemed to happen anyway. I honestly believe the controller has a real issue with overshoot when increasing temperature.

So this time I used reverse psychology. ;)

I still crept up, but to only 200. Then I set the Auber to 235 (with 225 my actual goal) and waited until it hit 215, then I turned the set point down to 225.

Dumb luck, coincidence, alien visitation.... I don't know, but the Auber came up to 225 and held 223 - 227 for over 14 hours with no overshoot or snuffing.

I will be trying again next weekend when I do a pastrami or two, we'll see if I get a repeat performance.

#177 chrisrobey77

chrisrobey77

Looking for Charcoal

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

Does everyone use the AC adapter, or does anybody use a battery?  Anyone know how many mAH are needed for 12 hours of usage?

#178 zork75

zork75

Cooking with Fire

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Has anyone used the auto tune feature. On there akorn if so how long did it take and what temp does it reach before the shut down process starts.

#179 Hot In AZ

Hot In AZ

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationPeoria Arizona

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

I have had some problems with the Auber overshooting and then snuffing the fire too.

Last weekend I did a couple butts and tried something different. I've only done it once, so take it for what it's worth...

I've always tried to creep the temperature up, but as I said, overshoot always seemed to happen anyway. I honestly believe the controller has a real issue with overshoot when increasing temperature.

So this time I used reverse psychology. ;)

I still crept up, but to only 200. Then I set the Auber to 235 (with 225 my actual goal) and waited until it hit 215, then I turned the set point down to 225.

Dumb luck, coincidence, alien visitation.... I don't know, but the Auber came up to 225 and held 223 - 227 for over 14 hours with no overshoot or snuffing.

I will be trying again next weekend when I do a pastrami or two, we'll see if I get a repeat performance.

So I tried something similar for a BB rib cook yesterday. Volcano method with cotton balls to start. My target temp was 250. At 200 I attached the auber and

set the temp for 215 with the top vent at .75. I did all the adjusments in 15 degree increments until I reached 250. Temps held at +-4  for 5 hours! Stoked!

#180 Hot In AZ

Hot In AZ

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationPeoria Arizona

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Has anyone used the auto tune feature. On there akorn if so how long did it take and what temp does it reach before the shut down process starts.

This will most likely be an all day process because the Akorn doesn't cool too quickly. After my first unsuccessful first run I tried the auto tune. After 3 hours it was still working on the tune, but it was late and I didn't want it to run all night so i shut it down.