#1 Jarett

Jarett

Grilling Chicken

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationNS, Canada

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

Check out their website! http://www.visiongrills.com

Vision Grills have revamped their product lineup. It appears they have 3 new kamados, including an improved version of the Pro with better controls for smoking, as well as a portable kamado!
Vision Pro S

#2 Marty

Marty

Kamado Master

• Members
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

This raises the Question of being air tight.

Which is better the P series with only a single sliding door or the S&C series that look nearly identical with a removable ash clean out and a lighting port. How much leakage do these extra openings add? Also what specifically makes the control systems different between the S&C. They look the same.

#3 Jarett

Jarett

Grilling Chicken

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationNS, Canada

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Of the 2 "Professional" models, it looks like the C series has a smaller, more precise knob for fine-tuning temperatures in the smoking range. Other than that it looks the same as the S (aka Vision Pro), so my guess is that they will phase out the S in favor of the C.

The Classic B looks like it's the same thing as the current Classic. The Classic P series is a portable Classic. The Classic M is medium -- but, it has an electric lighter port that looks like it's more simplified than the much maligned flip-up door on the Pro. It has hinge on the left that swings open to reveal a small opening.

Obviously the simpler the kamado is, the less air will leak out, but hopefully they've made enough improvements to make air leakage negligible.
Vision Pro S

#4 Ross

Ross

Guru Site Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Of the 2 "Professional" models, it looks like the C series has a smaller, more precise knob for fine-tuning temperatures in the smoking range. Other than that it looks the same as the S (aka Vision Pro), so my guess is that they will phase out the S in favor of the C.

The Classic B looks like it's the same thing as the current Classic. The Classic P series is a portable Classic. The Classic M is medium -- but, it has an electric lighter port that looks like it's more simplified than the much maligned flip-up door on the Pro. It has hinge on the left that swings open to reveal a small opening.

Obviously the simpler the kamado is, the less air will leak out, but hopefully they've made enough improvements to make air leakage negligible.

Thanks for the info, Jarett. I haven't visited the Vision Website, lately, I will check it out. My guess is that Vision landed a couple of more major big box retailers to sell their grills. Just like with Charbroil, The model of gas grill they sell to HD is slightly different than the model they sell to Lowe's. I am betting one model will an an exclusive at one store and the other model will be exclusive to another.

Join the 2014 Kamado Guru Fantasy Football League! http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/12159-the-league-2014/

#5 Ross

Ross

Guru Site Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

Checking their site, I see Vision has added Sears and Tru-Value Hardware to their list of retail partners, along with Costco, Canadian TIre and HD, so I am betting that is the case, Costco probably demands the model sold through their store be exclusive to Coscto, same with Sears and Tru-Value.

Join the 2014 Kamado Guru Fantasy Football League! http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/12159-the-league-2014/

#6 limulus

limulus

Cooking with Fire

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationATL, GA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

Very interesting. I was just on their site within the last few days looking to see if there were any accessories other than the stone. This has just been updated.

Ross, you could be right about the new models and dealer network. I think they may be looking for a model for places like Ace to sell as an alternative to BGE. My Pro was $699 at HD, so I will assume that either the new model will be $750 or they will sell it for $699 and sell my model for less.
Vision Pro Kamado
WSM
Masterbuilt Analog smoker with Auber PID
Jenn-Air Gas Grill
Retired Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker

#7 pkinetics

pkinetics

Guru Site Supporter

• Site Supporter
  • 623 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

Is 45 lbs really portable? :)

#8 Ross

Ross

Guru Site Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

I'm guessing that's the weight of a small, or mini BGE...I'd have to say I'd rather go with the portable Weber that John was reviewing...

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 Marty

Marty

Kamado Master

• Members
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:38 AM

I'm guessing that's the weight of a small, or mini BGE...I'd have to say I'd rather go with the portable Weber that John was reviewing...
Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

Or put a Big Steel Keg on its trailer hitch.

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

It does look like they are creating different models just to bamboozle customers for the benefit of big box retail. That way when Home Depot offers a "price matching" guarantee, the customer will not be able to find the exact model at another store for less.

The electronics and appliance industry has done this for years. They change the shape of a base, or add a 20 cent "woodtone" doodad, and call it "deLuxe".

I hope this model proliferation does not come back to bite them. The web site requires some study to figure out what's what. Confusion can be a turn off. Too many choices, and the customers head for the hills and buy Brand X.

#11 pkinetics

pkinetics

Guru Site Supporter

• Site Supporter
  • 623 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

The electronics and appliance industry has done this for years. They change the shape of a base, or add a 20 cent "woodtone" doodad, and call it "deLuxe".

The electronics industry really caught on to this about 5 or 6 years ago for Black Friday sales. A limited time available model that has a little less features.

#12 DerHusker

DerHusker

Guru Forum Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4,079 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

And mattresses

What's the Challenge this month?

Primo Oval XL, Vision Classic Kamado with Adjustable Rig, 60" Members Mark Gasser, Weber 22.5" OTS & Weber Go Anywhere

#13 Motley Que

Motley Que

Cooking with Fire

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMarietta GA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

@waldo
I'm in many Home Depots in the Atlanta area every day. Last fall they stopped selling the Vision Pro in the stores because of lack of demand. It took weeks tosell them at closeout for $500.

It didn't help either when most of the display models were cracked or chipped around the lower air vents and the charcoal starter door needed better sealing.

Maybe next sprimg they will return to the stores with a better model.

The new Visions look nice but i find the different letters for each model confusing. They also need to have an easy way to compare models on their website.

#14 Jarett

Jarett

Grilling Chicken

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationNS, Canada

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Just visited Canadian Tire here in (you guessed it) Canada. They are selling the C series which has replaced the S (aka Vision Pro) as well as the medium-sized M series.

These new kamados have a thin layer of soft silicone around their ash drawers and starter ports. They close up firmly and seem to be air tight.

One thing I noticed about the C series is that not only does it have a smoker knob on the ash drawer for small adjustments, but it also has a similar smoker knob right on the top vent--neat! The top vent also appears to be cast-iron now. It's much sturdier looking.
Vision Pro S

#15 travln_dude

travln_dude

Sterno Stover

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

I’m a potential new owner and have been doing some research and had questions on the models. I sent Vision and email today and this was the very quick response –

Thank you for your inquiry. The Professional S model is sold thru Home Depot online only. The Professional Series C is our new model for 2013 and has some new design features including a smoker knob on the top vent as well as a smoker knob on the removable ash drawer for more exact temperature control during smoking. Both the C and the S have a removable ash drawer for ease of cleaning as well as an electric starter port for lighting the grill. The C is sold thru True Value, Do-it-Best and Nationwide stores and will also include the electric starter and lava stone.

The Classic B is sold exclusively thru Costco and is available in their stores or online. Like the Professional models it comes with the cart, wood side shelves, 2 stainless steel cooking grates and a heavy duty cover. The lava stone is a separate purchase thru Home Depot online only.