2 replies to this topic

#1 cropduster

cropduster

Guru Site Supporter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationCape May County NJ

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

I stained the wood shelves with some Behr acrylic deck stain that I have which was very similar in color to the original shelves and lid handle. I also replaced the stamped stainless stack/lid damper with the newer versioned cast metal, powder coated black one. It precludes the need for the high temp. rtv sealant because it came with an "O" ring that makes a perfect seal. Also I completed my first cook with the charcoal containment basket I made from expanded metal and steel cable ties. This I believe is a worthwile addition to better portion control the lump and still provide for even heat and air flow. I cooked a lot of chicken on relatively high heat last night. Split breasts and thighs...probably 12 lbs or so. Came out really excellent so I am convinced the charcoal basket works just fine and does what I wanted it to do. You'll notice mine is a slightly older version with the two flanges inside, not three.

Attached Files

#2 PrinceofQ

PrinceofQ

Guru Site Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

Looks like a great setup! Thanks for sharing that info with us!

• Lg Grill Dome • Jr. Akorn Kamado • GMG DB • GMG DC • Char-Broil GRILL2GO X200 • Cook-Air • Element Portable • OptiGrill • Napoleon Kettle Grill • 14.5 WSM • Weber Genesis Silver B • My BBQ Tools & Tech Reviews Blog Posts ---> http://www.bbqsaucer...s-tech-reviews/

#3 Still Smokin

Still Smokin

Cooking with Fire

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

Great job on the shelves, looks better than new.