• 7,001 posts
  • LocationValdese, NC
  • Grill:Kamado Joe

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

Kamado Joe Classic Walk-Around:

Kamado Joe Big Joe Walk-Around:

Kamado Joe Jr. Review / Walk-Around:

Valdese, North Carolina

Kamado Joe Classic ° Kamado Joe Big Joe ° Kamado Joe Jr.

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel

#2 zork75

zork75

Cooking with Fire

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:14 AM

Very nice. Can't wait to see some cooks from this fine piece of equipment. Great score!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

#3 rwhinton

rwhinton

Guru Site Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,790 posts
  • LocationTexas Hill Country
  • Grill:Primo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Another fine video. Thanks, John.

Primo Oval XL · Kamado Joe Jr. · Weber Performer · 18.5 WSM · mini-WSM · Weber Jumbo Joe 

#4 John Setzler

John Setzler

Kamado Master

• Administrators
  • 7,001 posts
  • LocationValdese, NC

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I'm stoked about firing it up. There won't be a video for it, but I'm going to cook the thanksgiving turkey on it in the morning. I don't want to be tied up with video production tomorrow since I'm on a tight schedule and have to work tomorrow as well. I think the next video in this review set will be the much-sought-after 225° test. I found out with the Akorn reviews that this test seems to be of paramount importance to most people. As you probably know, I cook hotter than that most of the time but I'm going to fire up this grill and park it at 225° and let it ride for several hours...

Valdese, North Carolina

#5 Marty

Marty

Kamado Master

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

From watching it looks like the air control will be at or close to 100%. I can't wait to see more videos.

I have not done a hands on for all of the Kamados but the spring assist for the lid is something that looks great. On the ones I have looked at----the weight of the lid as compared to the AKORN was dramatic. It made me appreciate the CGK.

I am curious is there a reason that you did not go for the bigger KJ?

#6 Teajunkie

Teajunkie

Kamado Junkie

• Members
  • 1,167 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis
  • Grill:Akorn

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

John, compared to the CGA the KJ has its grill grate a few inches deep into the grill body. The CGA's grill grate is flush with the lid. Does having the grill grate deeper in the KJ give you any trouble?

-Rob-
Char-Griller Akorn

Are you new to kamado grilling? Perhaps a purchasing guide for the kamado grilling newbie could be of help.

#7 John Setzler

John Setzler

Kamado Master

• Administrators
  • 7,001 posts
  • LocationValdese, NC

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

John, compared to the CGA the KJ has its grill grate a few inches deep into the grill body. The CGA's grill grate is flush with the lid. Does having the grill grate deeper in the KJ give you any trouble?

No trouble at all. I can cook with the grill grate lower or flush with the lid by using the heat deflector rack. The lower position is better for that high heat searing. If you saw the add-on high heat searing modification I made for the Akorn, its similar by lowering the grate in the KJ down to the top of the fire ring.

Valdese, North Carolina

#8 Teajunkie

Teajunkie

Kamado Junkie

• Members
  • 1,167 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis
  • Grill:Akorn

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

No trouble at all. I can cook with the grill grate lower or flush with the lid by using the heat deflector rack. The lower position is better for that high heat searing. If you saw the add-on high heat searing modification I made for the Akorn, its similar by lowering the grate in the KJ down to the top of the fire ring.

Thanks for the reply. I am glad it does not seem annoying. To me it seemed like it would be. Maybe one day I will get a ceramic grill and I think the KJ might just be it.

-Rob-
Char-Griller Akorn

Are you new to kamado grilling? Perhaps a purchasing guide for the kamado grilling newbie could be of help.

#9 Ross

Ross

Kamado Master

• Global Moderators
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

I remember last summer some folks saying that the KJ, with nest and sidetables package was available at certain Ace hardware stores for $699. That would be a fantastic buy for that grill...

Vision Classic C Series

#10 John Setzler

John Setzler

Kamado Master

• Administrators
  • 7,001 posts
  • LocationValdese, NC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

$699 would be a steal! Especially considering the options that come standard with the Kamado Joe grill...

Valdese, North Carolina

#11 IrvinF

IrvinF

Kamado Sensei

• Members
  • 1,936 posts
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

I think the ACE by me sells them for $699 but not sure. Should I go steal one? LOL

Irvin F.
King Griller w/Auber PID

Irvin F
Char Griller Akorn Kamado
Auber Industries PID Controller (SYL-1614SYS)
Everyone likes a little butt, but no one likes a smart butt.

#12 Ross

Ross

Kamado Master

• Global Moderators
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Ace's price right now, and normally are $799. That is for pickup at your local Ace. Amazon has the KJ, also, for $799, delivered to your door. The $699 price was not an everyday price at Ace, but it seems to me I heard some Ace Hardware's ran a special last summer for a relatively short amount of time, for $699.

Vision Classic C Series

#13 IrvinF

IrvinF

Kamado Sensei

• Members
  • 1,936 posts
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Yeah I thought my ACE had them for $699 but I just called and they are $799.99. Maybe it was theBayou Classic at Lowes I was thinking about.

Irvin F.
King Griller w/Auber PID

Irvin F
Char Griller Akorn Kamado
Auber Industries PID Controller (SYL-1614SYS)
Everyone likes a little butt, but no one likes a smart butt.

#14 Meathead PA-C

Meathead PA-C

Microwave Madman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBedford, NH

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

John. You've been a great source of information and inspiration. From your videos and web page, I have grown quite a collection of great subscribed channels.
I picked up an AKORN last year to supplement my old 'gasser.' After just one cook on the AKORN, I was hooked on the black stuff. The gasses never saw the light of day again. My son helped me bring the old rusted hulk to the dump just a few weeks ago. I am hooked! I am grilling almost every day that I am home. Everything from low and slow, to hot and fast. From meats, to fish, to veggies. You have got to try my apple smoked, skillet meatballs, simmered in red sauce.
Got distracted there. Sorry.
My question is this. Is the move from the AKORN to the KJ worth it? and if so... details please. You have used them both and I really want to hear your thoughts. A stove shop just two miles from my house just started selling both BGE and KJ. I have been fighting the urge to stop in.

#15 DerHusker

DerHusker

Guru Forum Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4,744 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA
  • Grill:Primo

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Greetings Meathead and welcome to Kamado Guru. I can't help you with an Akorn question but there are many members that can. Please stop by the Introductions forum and introduce yourself.

Please vote for the Bread Challenge this month!

Primo Oval XL, Vision Classic Kamado with Adjustable Rig, 60" Members Mark Gasser, Weber 22.5" OTS & Weber Go Anywhere

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kamado joe, video, review