Photo

Dome Temp vs Grate Temp

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 SmoothSmoke

SmoothSmoke

Kamado Junkie

• Site Supporter
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationMonterey, CA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

How much of a difference have you found in your kamado? Please state which kamado you're using if not already in your sig please.

Kamado Big Joe
Kamado Classic Joe

Kamado Joe Jr
A bunch of Webers

#2 Plaid Palace

Plaid Palace

Searing Steaks

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

As you saw on bbq-brethren, my Kamado Joe has shown 30-70 degree temp differences.

Kamado Joe Classic

#3 SmoothSmoke

SmoothSmoke

Kamado Junkie

• Site Supporter
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationMonterey, CA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

As you saw on bbq-brethren, my Kamado Joe has shown 30-70 degree temp differences.

Yup, this thread is a spin-off from yours. I always thought that the grate temp was higher than the dome. Well that's how it was on my WSM. So the kamado may be a different beast.

Kamado Big Joe
Kamado Classic Joe

Kamado Joe Jr
A bunch of Webers

#4 Eric Moe

Eric Moe

Microwave Madman

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Just to be certain, how are you taking your measurements? I keep a probe clipped high in the dome, but my other three probes are generally stuck into whatever i'm cooking. Next time I fire up I will likely clip to the grate and see if there is any separation with my analog dome thermometer (which has always been spot on with the the probe.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#5 CeramicChef

CeramicChef

Kamado Master

• Global Moderators
  • 3,991 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Okay, once again, forget that you have "thermometer" that shipped with your kamado. That bimetallic indicator is better suited to be a paper weight than an accurate indicator of temperature!

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a dual lead electronic thermometer like the Maverick 732 to measure grill temps and food temps. That thing in your dome os only to be used to keep smoke from escaping from other than the top vent. You always want to use grate temps as your guide since that is where you cook ( most of the time). In general, you always want to put your temp probe at the level the majority of your food cooks.

Finally, go to AmazingRibs.com and read his discourse on thermometers. Dome temp? Who cares? Cooking level temp is what your want!

Here's to great cooks and even better memories with family and friends!

Wholly Smoke! Primo XL, Lodge Hibachi
PETA => People Eating Tasty Animals!

#6 Plaid Palace

Plaid Palace

Searing Steaks

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Yup, this thread is a spin-off from yours. I always thought that the grate temp was higher than the dome. Well that's how it was on my WSM. So the kamado may be a different beast.

I think the reason my dome temp was higher than grate temp was the fact I was using a heat deflector. Without the deflector I would have a higher grate temp.

Kamado Joe Classic

#7 ICDEDTURKES

ICDEDTURKES

Kamado Junkie

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

On average about 30 or 40 degrees in my Akorn Vs my Maverick ET 732.. Some days its closer or further.

#8 Cookingfor8

Cookingfor8

Fire Tender

• Site Supporter
  • 348 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

My dome is about 10-15 degrees different from my maverick. On long cooks they are about dead on after a while

Me + wife + 6 kids = Cookingfor8 :-D

The Big Steel Keg

#9 Marty

Marty

Kamado Master

• Members
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

In rapid heating there was about a 50 degree temp difference from dome to grate and the bimetal dome dial was always slow to respond. My experience matched Cookingfor8 once the temp is stabilized then eventually the dome will match the grate. So this beings me to what Ceramic Chef says--buy a good dual probe digital thermometer. Half an hour is too long to wait to know what is going on.

#10 SmoothSmoke

SmoothSmoke

Kamado Junkie

• Site Supporter
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationMonterey, CA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Which temp do you find is higher, dome or grate?

Kamado Big Joe
Kamado Classic Joe

Kamado Joe Jr
A bunch of Webers

#11 JeffieBoy

JeffieBoy

High on the Hog

• Site Supporter
  • 823 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Ontario

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Onteresting question. I never watch the dome unless I am grilling only. I did notice last night that while doing a pork low 'n slow, that my Maverick was reading 248 degrees, while the dome appeared to be at about 240. So in this case it was relatively accurate.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are . .

Akorn, Akorn Jr, Cuisinart Gasser

#12 John Setzler

John Setzler

Kamado Master

• Administrators
  • 6,341 posts
  • LocationValdese, NC

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

We all get too anal about temperature accuracy. I have found in both of my Kamado Joe grills that, with the heat deflectors in place, once I have reached my target temperature that the center grate temp and dome temps are not but a few degrees off one way or another... as much as 10 degrees maybe. That's close enough. While I enjoy the accuracy of digital thermometers, I have never understood the pressing need to have them.

Valdese, North Carolina

Kamado Joe Classic ° Kamado Joe Big Joe ° Kamado Joe Jr.

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel

#13 rwhinton

rwhinton

Kamado Sensei

• Members
  • 1,634 posts
  • LocationTexas Hill Country

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

We all get too anal about temperature accuracy. I have found in both of my Kamado Joe grills that, with the heat deflectors in place, once I have reached my target temperature that the center grate temp and dome temps are not but a few degrees off one way or another... as much as 10 degrees maybe. That's close enough. While I enjoy the accuracy of digital thermometers, I have never understood the pressing need to have them.

What John said.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Primo Oval XL · Kamado Joe Jr. · Weber Performer · 18.5 WSM · mini-WSM · Weber Jumbo Joe 

#14 IrvinF

IrvinF

Kamado Sensei

• Members
  • 1,936 posts
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Confused. If you were cooking a butt how would you determine when it was done? I agree you don't need digital thermometer for the grate temp but for internal temp I think you do.

Irvin F.
King Griller w/Auber PID

Irvin F
Char Griller Akorn Kamado
Auber Industries PID Controller (SYL-1614SYS)
Everyone likes a little butt, but no one likes a smart butt.

#15 chunky chips

chunky chips

Fire Tender

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEast-Central Mississippi

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Knowing the cut/cuts of meat and the size of your fire/fuel along with outdoor conditions helps in getting your desired result. Also, the type of meat comes into play. Experience really counts here as well. I fired up the Akorn with a less than half fire pan full of Royal oak lump, a chunk of pecan and used a water-pan/diffuser to cook a venison tenderloin and back loin on the grate. And, a (oven pre-heated low and slow wrapped 2 hrs. at 215 f) 4 or 5 pound beef brisket flat up on the dome grill. ( I lodged another pecan piece of wood at the edge of the dome grill for added support). Good cooking and eating :) . I knew I had good fire and the weather was mild 70's so I never got my maverick out for testing. We eat medium-well to well, so eyeballing is easier. There are cooks where I would need the maverick too, though.