39 replies to this topic

#1 kinematics32

kinematics32

Looking for Charcoal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hi All,

Does anyone else have this model king griller by char grill akorn? I am having difficulty finding it on the char-griller website. I just bought and assembled this Akorn w/Cart Grill last night. Just looking for a grill cover for it before I just make one myself ;-).

Also, do you think trying to smoke a boston butt is a good route to go for the first grill/smoke on this akorn? I've been grilling with a gas Weber for years and I kind of forgot the whole Charcoal/lump charcoal grilling techniques. :-(

#2 cstratton

cstratton

Toaster King

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

What do you think of the new unit with table? I am still deciding on which one of these to get. Does it have the old top vent with it or the newer version?

#3 huntampersandfish

huntampersandfish

Sterno Stover

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

I got my cover from Home Depot. The Weber cover for their table top dome grill fits the Char Griller King.
  • TorontoMax likes this

#4 SAWDUST123

SAWDUST123

Searing Steaks

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationKeokuk, IA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

I saw the old top vent at home Depot. The latch was different though. It didn't seem like it sealed very well.

#5 SAWDUST123

SAWDUST123

Searing Steaks

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationKeokuk, IA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

And the butt is always a great choice. You almost can't mess it up!

#6 Toe

Toe

Kamado Sensei

• Members
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

What do you think of the new unit with table? I am still deciding on which one of these to get. Does it have the old top vent with it or the newer version?

I'm almost certain that it has the newer one. Only the first batch of CGKs from 2011 had the thin silvery top vent.

#7 SAWDUST123

SAWDUST123

Searing Steaks

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationKeokuk, IA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Maybe it was the new one then. It's the same that I have on mine. Wasn't sure if they came out with something new for that beast! Mine isn't thin, she is a hunk of cast that weighs about 3 lbs!

#8 cstratton

cstratton

Toaster King

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I really like the one with the table I just wanted to be sure the top vent was the newer version. It isn't black so I wasn't sure. Hopefully someone will do a test run on the thing soon lol. My home depot still doesn't have it. AS far as that goes my Lowes doesn't have their model either.

#9 Motley Que

Motley Que

Cooking with Fire

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMarietta GA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

You won't find the 6520 on chargrillers website or at lowes. Only HD sells it.

The available cover # listed on the card that comes with the 6520

Read it and read other reviews about the 6520 that have been posted on this website to answer your questions

#10 kinematics32

kinematics32

Looking for Charcoal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

I'm not familiar with the top vent in others. But this one seems pretty heavy and sturdy and probably weighs about 3lbs. I just wish this model came in black like the others and i hope the temperature gauge is pretty accurate I heard the others were not that good.

#11 AugustusRooster

AugustusRooster

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

I'm not familiar with the top vent in others. But this one seems pretty heavy and sturdy and probably weighs about 3lbs. I just wish this model came in black like the others and i hope the temperature gauge is pretty accurate I heard the others were not that good.

Factory-issue grill dome thermos generally get a bad rap across the board. And many are reported inaccurate by their owners. You can test yours in boiling water and/or an ice bath. Another issue is that even if the dome thermo is accurate, actual cooking temps at the grate may be different. If precise temp readings are important you may want to look into something like a Maverick.

#12 aggie79

aggie79

Hamburger Helper

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

I really like the one with the table I just wanted to be sure the top vent was the newer version. It isn't black so I wasn't sure. Hopefully someone will do a test run on the thing soon lol. My home depot still doesn't have it. AS far as that goes my Lowes doesn't have their model either.

Our HD has the model with the cart. It has the same top as my CG Akorn that I purchased from Lowes about 2 months ago.

#13 Motley Que

Motley Que

Cooking with Fire

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMarietta GA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

Our HD has the model with the cart. It has the same top as my CG Akorn that I purchased from Lowes about 2 months ago.

It doesn't have the same vent.

There are no numbers on the vent.

#14 aggie79

aggie79

Hamburger Helper

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

It doesn't have the same vent.

There are no numbers on the vent.

I have to admit that I didn't look for the numbers but other than that it has the same shape and materials.

#15 IrvinF

IrvinF

Kamado Sensei

• Members
  • 1,936 posts
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Hi All,

Does anyone else have this model king griller by char grill akorn? I am having difficulty finding it on the char-griller website. I just bought and assembled this Akorn w/Cart Grill last night. Just looking for a grill cover for it before I just make one myself ;-).

Also, do you think trying to smoke a boston butt is a good route to go for the first grill/smoke on this akorn? I've been grilling with a gas Weber for years and I kind of forgot the whole Charcoal/lump charcoal grilling techniques. :-(

Greetings kinematics32 and welcome to the kamado guru forum

Irvin F
Char Griller Akorn Kamado
Auber Industries PID Controller (SYL-1614SYS)
Everyone likes a little butt, but no one likes a smart butt.