26 replies to this topic

#1 LostArrow

LostArrow

Fire Tender

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • LocationJackson Ms.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Some of you should have had your CGK for a year.
How's it holding up?
How's the fire grate & inner sleeve holding up?
New Braunfels El Darado , Vermont Casting , WSM, Double Chef, mini WSM, SRG,
Chargriller Kamodo.
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

#2 RMsmokes

RMsmokes

Searing Steaks

• Site Supporter
  • 241 posts
  • LocationHenderson, MN

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Mine is holding up great. I cover it after every cook and have seen no rust on it anywhere. I have had no issues at all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

#3 Dub

Dub

Guru Site Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • Grill:Kamado Joe

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

Mine is about a year old. Running pretty good.

The ashpan seal is fine, however the main seal needs some help. It's getting brittle.

No rust anywhere. I use the cover as soon as it cools off after each cook.

The thermometer is filled with condensation and really needs to be replaced.

Get some cold cuts.....some cold cuts.....WHOOOOOOO.......Gonna get some cold cuts today !!!!!

#4 lardog

lardog

Grill Boss

• Site Supporter
  • 686 posts
  • LocationChicago Area, IL

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:17 AM

Mine is over a year.
It is fine except for the ash pan wood handles being a little blackened.

#5 Prmath

Prmath

Sterno Stover

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNWFL panhandle

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

Leave it out in the elements......... Do EXPECT trouble but just use CS and that sucker will last many moons.

The ash pan........ Needs to be washed out often to get the corrosive ash off of the metal OR just aluminum foil that sucker
Time to fire mine up and let'er go

#6 packer01

packer01

Hamburger Helper

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Leave it out in the elements......... Do EXPECT trouble but just use CS and that sucker will last many moons.

The ash pan........ Needs to be washed out often to get the corrosive ash off of the metal OR just aluminum foil that sucker

What is CS?

#7 mbellot

mbellot

Searing Steaks

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

What is CS?

Just a wild guess...

Common Sense.

#8 BBQ Bob

BBQ Bob

Grill Boss

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSouthern Outer Banks, NC

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

I have had mine for 19 months now. It's seen many a cook, both long & slow as well as hot for pizza and steak. So far the only rust I see at all is a little on the lower shelf but that is my fault as a couple of times I did not put the cover on correctly and it had standing water on that lower shelf when I went to use it again. The main seal is in need of replacing as it is brittle/hard and I plan on using a nomex material to replace. Currently I am just as happy with it as the day I brought it home. Keep it covered, a little TLC and it should last a very long time, even in this salt air environment.
Chargriller duo 50-50; akorn; weber smokey joe

#9 Marty

Marty

Kamado Master

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Mine is stored out in the weather. i keep it covered and it is like new at this point. No rust and the gaskets still hold a seal. Hey if they need replacing they will be easy to do.

#10 BBQ Bob

BBQ Bob

Grill Boss

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

indeed, seals are easy to replace. I was not complaining, mine are still effective after 18 months of cooks, and a couple of run away learning curve mistakes on my part, just getting somewhat hard and brittle so I think I'll change them for the upcoming season. Although, here I cook year round so there really is no season. I am pleased to get this life out of the original gaskets and am going to the nomex only because I have some in my shop and it's a fun rainy day project.

#11 jrow17

jrow17

Kamado Ninja

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Mine looks new I've had it for a year now, and I cook on it at least three times a week. I clean it every other week.

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365095629.111338.jpg   46.64KB   860 downloads
I use this to clean it.

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365095676.756858.jpg[/attachment
And I use this to give it a shine:)

Jrow

Attached Files

JROW

#12 rwhinton

rwhinton

Guru Site Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,719 posts
  • LocationTexas Hill Country
  • Grill:Primo

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

My year-plus-old Akorn is doing fine, too. I've cooked on it probably 3 to 4 times as week. No rust that I have found, and I wipe it down about once a month. I keep it covered, and the cover has faded to a nice shade of gray in the Texas sun.

Primo Oval XL · Kamado Joe Jr. · Weber Performer · 18.5 WSM · mini-WSM · Weber Jumbo Joe 

#13 BBQ Bob

BBQ Bob

Grill Boss

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

I should have added to my original reply that my cover, Chargriller Akorn Cover, also looks like new. I do spray it once in a while with a UV protector that I bought for my boat and outdoor furniture covers. I really believe that this helps keep the fabric looking good and also keeps it from becoming brittle from the weather. Good stuff from West Marine, pricey but worth every penny.

#14 cropduster

cropduster

Guru Site Supporter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationCape May County NJ

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

My year-plus-old Akorn is doing fine, too. I've cooked on it probably 3 to 4 times as week. No rust that I have found, and I wipe it down about once a month. I keep it covered, and the cover has faded to a nice shade of gray in the Texas sun.

About the same report for mine. Had it since Dec. 2011. The cover is a few months newer but it too is added. The ashpan handles have cracked but I called CG and the are sending me replacements.

I can update this as I have been using my CGK frequently as of late. The finish has faded a bit even though it is covered 95% of the time. I tried a couple of things to restore it...Bar Keepers Friend liquid, polishing compound, Nu-Finish car wax, Meguiars cleaner/wax. None really did very much. So I just cleaned it up with some Simple Green and water and polished it up with the Eagle 1 Spray and Wax stuff and covered it.

I noticed that the top seam of the ashpan has some rust right at the bend. I wire brushed it and smoothed a healthy bead of high temp.RTV around it. Other than that, this cooker is holding up very well and more than suits my needs for a very fair price. I

#15 JeffieBoy

JeffieBoy

Guru Site Supporter

• Site Supporter
  • 831 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Ontario

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

Mine spends the non-snow weather on the patio under a generic cover with no issues. It spent the winter in the unheated garage without a cover. No issues this far!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are . .

Akorn, Akorn Jr, Cuisinart Gasser