32 replies to this topic

#1 Randy

Randy

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSilverdale, WA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

I came within a hairs breath of buying a Vision Kamodo at the Silverdale Costco ($559) today but the plate setter scared me off. Being familure with the BGE, I couldn't envision how a plate setter could effectively intigate with the one piece fire box design. If it doesn't recess into the firebox somehow, and sits on top of the one piece firebox (or on the lower grill), you'd be giving up rack room/height that you'll want for smoking large items (think turkey). Can anyone clarify how the Vision plate setter fits into ( or on) the firebox? I saw someone mention in an earlier post the Vision customer support was sending a rack to him when he ordered their stone, so maybe it recesses? Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 Randy

Randy

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSilverdale, WA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Whoops - saw the recessed plate setter option in the intro post. Looks very workable - thanks.

#3 Ross

Ross

Kamado Master

• Global Moderators
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

Hey, randy, the indirect rack works good for me. I wouldn't mind getting the optional volcanic stone as a plate setter/pizza stone, it looks nice, but for now I'm using a cast iron skillet w the handle chopped off.

Join the 2014 Kamado Guru Fantasy Football League! http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/12159-the-league-2014/

#4 Randy

Randy

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSilverdale, WA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

Hi Ross, the great thing about using the skillet (like you are) is that your deflector is also your drip pan. All my BGE buds typically put a drip pan on their plate setters to keep drippings from effecting their coals and subseqently their temps for long smoke and roasts. Wish I'd seen your post yesterday and the Vision Kamodo would be on my deck now. By the time I can hit Cosco tomorrow I might be looking at an empty shelf. Haven't check the local Home Depot outlets to see if they carry, but that's my backup plan at this point. thanks for the reply.

#5 Ross

Ross

Kamado Master

• Global Moderators
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Hay Randy, HD carries the Professional series Vision (see thread in Vision Forum) It's $699, but has the bigger bottom vent and some extra accessories. I'm betting Costco will have it for you. Good luck, and let us know if you get it.

Join the 2014 Kamado Guru Fantasy Football League! http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/12159-the-league-2014/

#6 Randy

Randy

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSilverdale, WA

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Costco was out today but have six more coming so I plan to be a proud owner come monday or tuesday. Can't wait to start cooking kamodo!

#7 djbiv

djbiv

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'll get a picture of the lava stone (plate setter) and how it works from Vision as soon as I can and post it. works like a charm when I used it to smoke my pork butt 2 weeks ago.
Dan

#8 Dbf

Dbf

Sterno Stover

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hello all,

I purchased a Vision Kamado a couple of weeks ago and have been busy experimenting with as many different things as I can conjure up!!

To answer the plate setter question, I bought a BGE large plate setter this evening and I am happy to report it fits our cookers just fine, both legs up and down. I haven't cooked anything yet, but I did flash her up and carried out a 450F heat run for about 30 mins....I just throttled it back to about 325F. I'll let her go for another hour to burn off any remaining manufacturing crap let on it.

Hope these pictures turn out.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=101
download/file.php?mode=view&id=10

Dan

Attached Files

Dan

#9 Randy

Randy

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSilverdale, WA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the answer on the GBE plate setter and great pics Dan! Happy to report I picked up my new Vision from Costco today and it's assembled and waiting for me on the back deck!

#10 jon s

jon s

Microwave Madman

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Actually, it appears that the BGE plate setter is sitting too high in the Vision grill. If you look at pictures of the plate setter on the BGE site, the setter sits lower in the BGE. I think that is why the Visions volcanic rock sits lower into the "bowl" with its cross bar frame.

#11 djbiv

djbiv

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

the plate setter is used two different ways in the egg, one way is with the legs down like shown in the picture to be used as a pizza stone or hot plate, the other way is upside down with the legs faceing upwards to be used more as a heat deflector / diffuser.

While it may sit higher then it does in an egg, that doesn't change the main functionality of it.
Dan

#12 Ross

Ross

Kamado Master

• Global Moderators
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

I would agree with Dan, with the plate setter in the upside down position, it would place the grate probably about where the double grate would be. This should be good for most indirect cooks with the exception of a large vertical turkey. I'm still thinking if you had access to a pro ceramic cutter, a tile expert, he could trim about three inches off that fire ring, and you could take that three inches out when you want more room. I'd hate to risk destroying the firebox however. It couldn't be cheap to replace.

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

This looks like what every Vision owner will need. It performs several functions.

http://shop.ceramicg...ision-spider-1/

#14 Dbf

Dbf

Sterno Stover

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hello again,

I took a couple more pictures showing the setter in a 'legs up' config. I have to say, I believe the BGE plate setter will function just fine. Now, I say that without actually cooking anything yet!!

In the picture with both racks, I was able to close the lid with no problems. Looking through the smoke hole, I estimate there be plenty of clearance for indirect cooking of ribs, chicken or turkey pieces, pork bellies...you know, pieces that are not too thick. I plan on low and slow ribs on Saturday, with a beer can chicken for supper. I'll post back how the setter does with the ribs on.

BTW, I am sorry for the tiny pictures. Been a few years since I have participated in an online forum, and as a result, my picture hosting knowledge has faded a bit. Bear with me while I sort myself out!!

Dan

download/file.php?mode=view&id=110

download/file.php?mode=view&id=111

Attached Files

Dan

#15 Randy

Randy

Weenie Roaster

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSilverdale, WA

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

Hey Dan, thanks for the additional pics. I've got one of the recess grills in shipment that I ordered before you posted your first pics of the BGE plate setter. I'll run it around the block as a deflector and raised platform for my pizza stone and post results. May end up with a BGE plate setter in the end (thanks to your pics and posts) and it's nice to know there are several very viable ways to skin this one. BTW - apple wood smoked a couple of chickens (naked wiz "my way rub") yesterday (no deflector top rack) at 250 for approx. 2-1/2 hours. Came out great and has me thinking a deflector may really only be necessary for really long smokes. I understand chicken is very forgiving and salmon may be a little more subtle, but damn it came out good!