• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hootstwo

hootstwo

Hamburger Helper

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

So, having being enticed to buy an akorn after having read through this forum for a while (picked it up last week), I got the seasoning of the grates done yesterday, I picked up a half brisket for a butcher in town.

Spent a while poking around epicurious and the rest of the internet looking for a recipe that piqued my fancy, decided on one and went for it. Fired up my Akorn using cotton ball soaked in veggie oil (thanks for that tip Kamado Guru!), with hickory chips sprinkled throughout my lump charcoal. Started it at just before 7am (thanks to my 5 year old daughter for waking me up early :) ), brought it up to about 230 slowly. Dropped on my brisket. Checked it every half hour or so, sometimes it crept up to 245, tinkered with top vent, brought it back down. Mopped every 90 minutes or so.

11 hours later - damn fine eats. Thinly sliced brisket was divine. Served on fresh crusty kaisers with maple caramelized onions, optional horseradish sauce, old grated cheddar... chased by an amazing icecream cake my wife made. Life's good!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 John Setzler

John Setzler

Kamado Master

• Administrators
  • 6,744 posts
  • LocationValdese, NC
  • Grill:Kamado Joe

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

That's some fine lookin' grub! I have never mopped a brisket before. I have always just applied my rub and tossed it on the smoker :)

Valdese, North Carolina

Kamado Joe Classic ° Kamado Joe Big Joe ° Kamado Joe Jr.

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel

#3 hootstwo

hootstwo

Hamburger Helper

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

I had never done so before either, I just found a recipe that called for it that looked pretty good and had rave reviews. I've got to say, I think it worked out REALLY well. There was certainly some internet warrior debate that I read when people were discussing the relative merits of mopping vs not mopping, but they all came back to losing heat while mopping and the lack of stability in temperature.

I sort of felt that because the Akorn seemed to return to temperature in so little time that wasn't a realistic drawback. If it wasn't a drawback I didn't see why not to do it. All in all, I'm not sure that I'd try another recipe on a brisket given the success with that recipe and the relative expense and time that would be involved trying another and possibly not liking it as much.

#4 Hawk1959

Hawk1959

Microwave Madman

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Nice looking Brisket... and Cake!!

John.... What rub (or what is in your rub) for a Brisket. I have a bunch of pork rubs I have made and they just do not bring out the Beef flavor of a brisket. I would wet mop like Hoots... but wife does not like wet Glazed sause on a brisket (Keep the SO happy and all will be Happy).

I have my Maverick on order... and will move from Steaks and Burgers to Brisket this weekend. Was waiting on the Temp gauge before I go to the big meats....