• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JFC3

JFC3

Toaster King

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Are there any rule-of-thumb average cook times for a pork butt?  I intend to smoke a 9 pounder and am trying to get a handle on how long it will take at 225* on the Akorn.  I'll be using my Auber so I should have consitent temps overnight.

If anyone could provide a cook duration estimate based on expierience I'd appreciate it.

#2 John476

John476

Toaster King

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

From my experience there I go anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours per pound but being low and slow it'll be done when it feels done by probe tender.

#3 moflicky

moflicky

Slow Smoking

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

No hard and fast rule - but when I have time, I usually start preparing a full 24 hours ahead of meal time.  Wash and rub, stabilize the cooker, put her on.

With no foil wrapping and constant 225 (I use a partyq) I've cooked an 8lb or so butt for as long as 20 hours and as short as 16.

If you wrap in foil about an hour into the stall (160F or so?), that time can be shortened considerably.  8-10 hours?

your mileage may vary.

Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose. Douglas Adams
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P.J. O'Rourke

#4 Vindii

Vindii

Cooking with Fire

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

10 hours at 250 is the norm for me at comps.

#5 70Chevelle

70Chevelle

Microwave Madman

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

I just did a 8.5lbs shoulder in 12 hours unwrapped, temp in the 215-240 range the whole time.

#6 Freddyj

Freddyj

Kamado Master

• Site Supporter
  • 4,434 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA
  • Grill:Kamado Joe

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

Are there any rule-of-thumb average cook times for a pork butt?  I intend to smoke a 9 pounder and am trying to get a handle on how long it will take at 225* on the Akorn.  I'll be using my Auber so I should have consitent temps overnight.

If anyone could provide a cook duration estimate based on expierience I'd appreciate it.

This might help you some http://www.smoking-m...peratures-chart
Kamado Joe BIG Joe - Kamado Joe Classic - Kamado Joe Jr - WSM mini

#7 ero4444

ero4444

Guru Site Supporter

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

I don't think there is any advantage to cooking at 225F versus 275F, except that 225 takes longer.  That can be useful if you are trying to get a full nights sleep.

#8 JFC3

JFC3

Toaster King

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

This might help you some http://www.smoking-m...peratures-chart

That's a big help.  Thanks.

#9 Mr Cue

Mr Cue

Kamado Ninja

• Members
  • 2,354 posts
  • LocationCumberland Plateau, Tn

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

The 9 pounder I did for Labor Day took about 7 hours at 300°F to 185°F. I didn't want pulled pork, I wanted to slice some of it so I didn't take it up to 195°, I think 205° is the best temp for a picnic shoulder due to bone shape and connective tissues, while they taste as good, they don't cook as easy as a butt IMO.

You use what kind of smoke wood? No, no, no.... Here, try some Pecan wood!

Char-Griller Akorn

#10 chrisrobey77

chrisrobey77

Looking for Charcoal

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

8 pounder took me 9 hours @ 250 to get to 190.  I was hoping for 200 internal but people were hungry and I didn't want to cut short my resting time.  Still good but doesn't pull as easy because of only 190.