Photo

Leg quarters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 captndan

captndan

High on the Hog

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

Direct or indirect? Any favorite recipes?

#2 John Setzler

John Setzler

Kamado Master

• Administrators
  • 6,255 posts
  • LocationValdese, NC

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

I cook mine indirect until they are almost done (160° internal) and then move them to direct to crisp up the skin. You can season them any way you like. I like to get my seasoning up under the skin for best results. You can also brine them for several hours if you like.

Valdese, North Carolina

Kamado Joe Classic ° Kamado Joe Big Joe ° Kamado Joe Jr.

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel

#3 BluesDaddy

BluesDaddy

Grilling Chicken

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationSouth Metro Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

I cook mine indirect until they are almost done (160° internal) and then move them to direct to crisp up the skin. You can season them any way you like. I like to get my seasoning up under the skin for best results. You can also brine them for several hours if you like.

What he said! :D I always brine chicken now, it makes such an incredible difference. I do a pretty simple brine: 1/4 cup sea salt and 1/4 cup brown sugar dissolved in 4 cups of boiling water; which I allow to cool and then add a bit more than four cups of ice to it - which makes about a half gallon of brine; perfect for a whole chicken in a one gallon zip lock bag or a bunch of parts (e.g. thighs, quarters, breasts) in one.

But I also try to get any seasoning or rubs up under the skin as well, otherwise you just have tasty skin!
Char-Griller Akorn, two 22.5" Weber OTS with Smokenator & Rotisserie

#4 LostArrow

LostArrow

Fire Tender

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • LocationJackson Ms.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Mr. BluesDaddy is correct, brining poultry makes a huge difference!
I also use a simple brine almost like his 4/4/4 brine. 4 cups water, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup sugar.
I never write anything down so all of my recipies are very simple.
I buy leg 1/4's in a 10 lb bag , smoke them all till 160F then eat a few ( seared on grill) & package rest in foodsaver bags for gumbo, chicken cacciatore , chicken soup, all better of made with smoked chicken!
New Braunfels El Darado , Vermont Casting , WSM, Double Chef, mini WSM, SRG,
Chargriller Kamodo.
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and may lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.