Jump to content


Members Plus
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location:
    Southern California
  • Interests
    Jesus, cycling, BBQing, all things kamado (esp pizza), singing, theatre.
  • Grill
    Kamado Joe

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

zero's Achievements

  1. Hah, too funny on the hot dog note! Yeah, I'll try jiggling the petals a little more but there's only so much that can be done with the metal ring around the top that holds them all together. The ash scoop at the bottom also doesn't go in and out as well. I was at Lowe's recently and they had some newer models in stock with the new design and they all had flush grates and seamlessly sliding ash pans, lol. I'll play with it a little more. I like how the new design makes it less likely to crack the fire bowl, but it also makes cleaning out all the ashes more of a pain.
  2. Hey guys, been a while since I've been on the forum. My fire bowl cracked into several large chunks recently and Kamado Joe sent me the new(er) fire bowl as a replacement. I purchased mine I think in 2016, when it was all one piece. The new one that is in 4 or 5 pieces (or more?) is nice, but my grill surface does not level anymore. It's not a huge deal, but when I'm cooking something simple like hot dogs they actually roll to the back of the grill. The difference height also creates some difference (super minor) in heat zones. Has anyone else experienced problems like this with replacement fire bowls? Recommended solutions? Does it sound like a workmanship defect that's worth another warranty claim? Thanks!
  3. Oh my goodness, this looks fantastic! Inredible job, DerHusker! Mediterranean is some of my favorite food, and you made an amazing looking homemade rendition. I think I'm going to save this thread and try it out for myself. I didn't see an ingrediants list for the Mediterranean Tomato Salad. Mind sharing that? Looks like tomatoes, cucumbers, a bell pepper, and I'm not sure what your green "herb" mixes were at the front of the cutting board...
  4. Took me about 2 hours to assemble mine as well, so I've found the 30-45 minute claims to be a little lofty. I suppose for the more mechanically adept or experienced it could go faster.
  5. Oh yeah, forgot to mention the pork itself! I threw it in the oven at about 4:00 at 270F for an hour, and then back into the cooler to wait until the ride finished and I shredded and served it on site. It wasn't my finest cook (last hour in the oven may have dried it out a little too much), but everyone seemed to enjoy it, and there were very few leftovers. I was surprised to have any, expecting 16 pounds uncooked would only feed about 25 people, not the 30+ we had show up. Either way, glad not to have too much left, because between the musical theatre group I perform with and cooked for and now the cycling club, I've been eating pulled pork for at least 2 week, and am well-ready for some brisket, or even a simple hamburger off my Joe!
  6. Haha, thanks. Not that kind of ride (fun though that looks), this kind: And here's me this year's costume contest winner. Her husband is a VERY talented engineer, and the wings you see on the back are actually pneumatically actuated to open and close. So it not only looks steampunk, it almost is steampunk.
  7. Cool, thanks guys. Pulled it out of the cooler at 3:30 to check the temp and it was at 145F. I turned my oven on to 270 and threw it in there for an hour before sticking it back in the cooler. The event's outside, and not exactly linear. It's a Halloween bike ride (what we dubbed "Masqueride"), and once the course is finished I'm gonna shred it and serve it. Thanks again!
  8. Hey gurus, I have a mild problem to solve here. I'm cooking for a group of friends tonight, and my pork butts finished WAY too early! I put it on about 10:30 last night, and by 7:30 this morning it's already over 200F. So I need to pull it in the next few minutes, but my party isn't till 7:00 this evening. I put the temp probe towards the back of the the grill to make space for the little piggies, and it was reading about 320F when I went to bed, but the dome thermometer was pegged at 250, so I thought the temp probe was in a hotter spot, not being over the water pan. Looks like I did have it a bit hotter than usual (but on the flipside, I finally didn't run out of charcoal for a change )! From what I've read, it sounds like I may not be able to keep it hot (safely) till then (double-wrap foil, lots of towels, and then into a newer Coleman cooler). They are two 8-lb butts, though. With two cuts, they hold longer, right? Am I probably stuck reheating them in the oven tonight? I've held pork in this cooler for 4 hours before, and it was still very hot to the touch when it came out, so I'm thinking I may be able to make it. I know pork butt's nothing new, but here's a picture to start your day off right: Any thoughts, helps, hints appreciated.
  9. I saw a lot negative reviews of Cowboy Lump Charcoal when I first started perusing the Guru, so stayed away from it (RO being the only other lump option). After trying another off-brand charcoal I found at a grocery store, I decided to give Cowboy a whirl, and have had pretty good luck. Each bag I've purchased comes with a good amount of larger lumps for long low-n-slow cooks. The only problem I *may* have had is burning through it too fast, but from my last overnight pork butt cook (using RO), I had the same issue. I've seen a few other threads for this, but I keep running out of fuel about 10 hours into my cooks. My last overnight pork roast, the temperature never exceeded 270, and 10 hours later there were only two or three pieces of lump that left (that didn't ignite) at the edges of the fire box. I'm wondering if I'm burning too much at the start. Only using one KJ fire starter, firebox is full up to the heat deflector's lower setting, with about 5 pieces of pecan wood for smoke on top of it all. And again, in 10 hours I've burned through it. I'm honestly a little disappointed, because I was able to get greater longevity out of my Akorn (at less than half the cost) than I'm getting with my KJ Classic. Granted, the KJ does maintain temperature much better (Akorn is/was really hard to set - it seemed to either burn too hot or snuff out), but I think the KJ's smaller firebox is giving me trouble. I'll post pics of my setup on another thread and see if anyone can help me fix the issue. Sorry if this hijacks the original thread. Seems like the original poster was just sharing good news and didn't have a problem to troubleshoot.
  10. Welcome John! Looking forward to hearing about and seeing pictures from your cooking experience. I had a hard time taking the plunge when I went "full ceramic," but haven't regretted it one bit!
  11. @rchang72, thanks so much! I heard the stall is caused by evaporative cooling, but didn't consider the impacts a temperature that's too low would have on it. Will definitely keep that in mind for future cooks. I think I'll start out the same, and keep it around 225 for the first couple hours, but after getting that smoke ring I'll crank it right up to 250 for the majority of the cook. Thanks everyone else for chiming in. Always appreciate the Kamado Guru community.
  12. The "volcano" arrangement is from @philpom's definitive guide to low 'n' slow. He recommends putting large pieces of charcoal in a volcano arrangement in the fire box, put a firestarter inside the crater, light it, and then put another piece of charcoal over that. I usually have pretty good luck with it. So far, the ash buildup has been the only issue, which ironically doesn't happen with my Akorn because the fire grate allows the spent charcoal to fall more freely into the waste collector. The tight holes on the Joe, not as much.
  13. Lol, that's about where I'm at now! It did turn out quite delicious, but 21 hours is a bit excessive. From my Akorn experience, I never could hold at 250. I'd always end up jumping to over 300, so I'm a little (more) OCD than usual with the vent settings once it hits 200. I haven't had any problems with my Joe overshooting. It's always been a little harder than I'd expected to get it to the elusive 250 and hold it.
  14. Hi all, been a little while since I posted, but still grilling up some delicious cooks. I've got a pork butt on my Kamado Joe Classic right now, and it's taking considerably longer than I expected. I put it on at about 9:00 last night, and now at nearly 6 in the evening it's just now breaking 195*F internal temp (I'm gonna let it get to 197, but I don't think I have the patience for 200 after nearly 21 hours on the grill ). I think the butt was only 7-pounder at that (maybe 8). That said, most of the cook has been at or below 225, which is a bit lower than what I could sustain on my Akorn. Not sure what's to be gained, so that's why I'm trying. Additionally, this is the second time I've actually had to add charcoal mid-cook. The first time was completely my fault, as I didn't clean out my Joe before getting it going, and I used a bunch of old charcoal that had small bits that quickly turned to ash, blocking the air intake. This time though, I cleaned it out and used completely new charcoal, and they were some REALLY big chunks as well, so I thought I'd be fine. I woke up to find my fire a little low (210?), but still humming along pleasantly (FYI I'm using a Thermoworks Smoke, which has been working beautifully). Meat was smack in the middle of The Stall, so I opened the vents a little more and then headed off to church. When I got home, I was a little dismayed to find my grill temperature lower yet, making me think my fire was going out. I pulled the meat off and wrapped it in foil, then pulled my grate assembly out. I still had a few live coals, but so much had burned through that the ash build-up was blocking almost all of the fire grate. I used large pieces of lump, and had the "volcano" arrangement as best I could. Anyone else had this problem? Thoughts and possible solutions appreciated.
  • Create New...