Jump to content


Members Plus
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ophbalance

  1. I usually do the method recommended in the sticky for the forum even with a controller. I'll put the top vent to the half crescent or slightly more at about the 180 mark and it holds fine at 225 for me until I run out of fuel.
  2. Yeah, I'm torn between beef stock or some apple cider vinegar. 6 of one, half dozen of the other with that choice. I need to pick up some butcher paper as well to see if that makes any difference over using foil.
  3. This one came out with great bark. I ended up using FOGO lump on this round and some hickory thrown on for smoke. And the cooking time surprised me by going out much longer than on the cowboy lump I'd used previously for a similar weight Chuck Roast cut. I did NOT wrap at the stall and I regret it. Taste was on point, but it just dried out too much. A pity but I'm getting closer to looks good and tastes good and is juicy.
  4. You could try building the pie on parchment paper on top of the peel and slide that whole thing into the KJ. When it comes time to give it a turn you can separate it from the paper.
  5. Thumb screw. Ace probably has an assortment of them. You're going to want stainless though. And for that, Ace (at least mine) aren't all that well stocked. I've been told marine stores are chock full of stainless screws. Looks like home depot has them as well but you'll need to know the threading and size (https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-20-x-1-2-in-Thumbscrew-Thumb-Zinc-Plated-Machine-Screw-2-Pack-815251/204274857).
  6. Thanks! I turned it 90 degrees at the 3 minute mark but I forget where the hotspot was. I think it may have been towards the front but that was more likely where I'd set my 1 of 3 charcoal fires at. The kids won't eat it, but the wife and I will sure enjoy it ;). The Royal Oak made a world of difference in the flavor. You could tell it was done on wood but you wouldn't say it was smoked. I'm exited to try again but my waist is saying this is probably going to have to be an every other week thing.
  7. I've had the most luck with my full size Akorn leaving a void directly in the middle of the bottom most grate and lighting it with a torch in that little void. You can use cotton balls soaked in something flameable, however, I'm lazy and just have a bottle of MAP gas on hand. It's quick and easy and gets the fire started in under 30 seconds. There's a guide pinned somewhere in the forum that has many very good tips on that. And then you watch it like a hawk for the first 30 minutes to keep it from climbing away from you. Once it's over temp it's very difficult to bring it back down.
  8. Home Depot, surprisingly, had large blocks of smoke wood when I was there yesterday.
  9. Yep. I used this link. I had gotten away from making my own dough due to time constraints but I'm home 90% of any given week now so I'm back to making my own. Once upon a time I used this as my "all things bread" bible. https://www.amazon.com/Bread-Bakers-Apprentice-Mastering-Extraordinary/dp/1580082688/ref=sr_1_2?crid=27LW4ZMD7KS7J&dchild=1&keywords=bread+makers+apprentice+book&qid=1593821166&sprefix=bread+makers+app%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-2. It's a great book. It's a good read. But I never really fell in love with the pizza dough it produced. By far the kitchen scale and percentage of hydration is producing a much easier to work with home pizza dough.
  10. I found some Royal Oak today and did another cook. Plus, I found a new peel at Bed Bath & Beyond of all places. Much better taste and much less smoke. I left it in maybe a minute too long. This dough was left in the fridge for 2 days from the previous batch but remained easy to manipulate (maybe a bit too wet as it tore with very gentle stretching).
  11. This last one was done with "Bayou Classic" that I picked up at ACE. I also grabbed some Fogo that I need to try. I'll look for whomever might sell royal oak local and give that a try. Overall, I really need to get a decent peel though. What I've got isn't cutting it. I'll stop by our local restaurant supply store in Raleigh next time I'm up that way. They have all the good toys ;).
  12. The rest of the family is away so I decided to just go ahead and do a pizza. I went with the 2 hour 70% dough recipe and got the Akorn up to somewhere in the 500F - 550F range. I've got the heat stone so that went into the fire box. But I also have a pampered chef pizza stone that I've been using for about a decade in the oven for the pizza to sit on. I did learn that I need a new peel as mine has a broken side and it made for a very oblong pizza. Overall, I'm happy. I'm just not sure that anyone else in the family will appreciate a "smokey" flavored pizza.
  13. You'll have to experiment with it. It's almost the same, for me, as the guide that's pinned somewhere in the Akorn forum without the controller. The benefit is that I can just walk away and the blower will maintain temp with no user input until it runs out of fuel. For 225 - 275F and holding there all day with the BBQube I set it to about that half moon crescent showing. Going higher in temp means about 1-2 on the top vent, say for 350F. Anything in the 500F+ range I ditch the blower and just use the vents for fear of melting something.
  14. I bought a similar cut from my local Food Lion and it worked out to be about an hour per pound at 250F. I let it rest for several hours in a cooler and it wasn't half bad. The problem though is it won't take on much smoke so temper your expectations accordingly. The end result was good, but it didn't match up with what I can get from my local BBQ joints.
  15. I just wanted to thank Daz for making a terrific product and standing behind it with support as well. My blower fan has been singing the sound of a bearing on its way to failure. It happens. In fact, I've replaced every fan on both of my 3D printers in the first 6 months of ownership. It just seems to be the way. I'd reached out to Daz's support looking for the specs to purchase a new fan on Amazon or eBay, but instead, they went ahead and just sent me a replacement! That right there makes me very happy and shows dedication towards supporting their product. Thanks folks!
  16. Do you have a timeline on when the v2 might come out?
  17. I do not miss snow. Not even a little. This yank is staying a damn Yankee.
  18. I received my new to me BBQube on Thursday, and there being no time like the present, I gave it a trail run today. It was just a dry brined spatchcocked chicken with lemon, butter and garlic in the pan. The butter was melted and drizzled on the chicken and a bit of fresh ground pepper. That's it. No fuss, easy peasey. The BBQube and the Enzoo varied a fair amount in their temps. They were placed within inches of each other, but the qube probe points downward while the Enzoo is held vertical. I had to leave the house for 30 minutes while the Qube brought everything up to temp. I was a bit worried but it held it's own and stayed leveled off right at 375F like I had set. Awesome! I'm not concerned about the app for the Qube. I'll use the Enzoo to alert as its range is fantastic. Overall I was happy with the Qube, happy with the cook, happy with the recipe. But the chicken needs a bit more flavor for the next run.
  19. We had many many RC planes when I was growing up. That is, until a flood wiped out ALL the electronics for it in 93. My father lost every piece of kit that we had and threw in the towel at that point. But this was back in the balsa wood only days with monocoat. Anymore you can build everything out of foam and trash it for next to nothing. The TX/RX will still run you an arm and a leg, but it's easier to get into. Unless you do FPV flying. At which point you might as well get a second mortgage to pay for it. Motorcycles and 3D printing are far cheaper and safer on my wallet ;).
  20. I tend to... uh... dive in head first into hobbies. My 3D printers have already multiplied, and so have the motorcycles. I don't see any reason why the grills won't follow suit ;). But at least they're (mostly) productive hobbies!
  21. Thanks! Nope, I just missed the option when setting up my profile. Not sure how, but I only have the Akorn for now. It wouldn't shock me that over the next few years that I don't start accumulating other outdoor cookers as well ;).
  22. On this cook I: The night before, apply the rub and wrap in cling wrap. Let it sit in the fridge until you need to cook it. I'm using lump charcoal and make a volcano shaped mound. I've been rebuilding my front banister and have leftover cuts of 1x1 slats hanging about. I just stick one leftover dead center of the bottom grate and pile the charcoal around it. For the last two cooks I've used large chunks of hickory wood. I have NOT soaked it. This time I put in about 8 pieces at various places on the bottom layer of charcoal since I knew it'd be a longer cook. I soaked two cotton balls in hand sanitizer.... or at least that's what the squeeze bottle says. It's almost paint stripper, so it is. And I placed them into the void my 1x1 slat left behind. I busted out the map gas torch and set the cotton ablaze. I left the lid and all vents open fully for about 5 minutes. After I was sure that things were rolling along pretty well I put in my heat diffuser and main grate with temperature probe attached. Once it hit 150F I put the TipTopTemp on to the top vent and set the bottom vent to what amounts to "1" on the Akorn. I let that settle down a bit and moved it to just barely allowing air in through the bottom vent over the course of 30 minutes. Once it stayed steady around 260F I pulled the meat from the fridge, put in my temp probe, and put the chuck into the Akorn. For the first two hours I sprayed the meat down with a spritz of water. It hit 160 by the third hour so it didn't need any more shots IF I had butcher paper, I would have used it for this step. I do not yet have any. I pulled the meat at 160 and wrapped it up in aluminum foil and put my probe back in place. This went back into the grill. IF you have butcher paper it should help preserve the bark better. Once it hit 200F I pulled the meat and placed it, and several towels, into a smaller igloo cooler that we have kicking around. Total time to this point was between 5.5 and 6 hours. I left it in the cooler in my closed off laundry room (which was running laundry at the time and warmer than the rest of the house) for 2 hours. Pulled it out about 5PM, sliced it, and shared it with the spouse and a neighbor up the street. For the most part it floated around 240 and 270F for the entirety of cook. Which, given that I started at 50F ambient temps and ended at nearly 70F, seems reasonable. It tastes just as good as the BBQ I've had out recently so I call it a win. The rub was pretty simple and pulled from recipe site or another. It's a little bit spicy? I mean, so long as you get some bark, you can tell it has some bite. You can make your own with: 1 tablespoon salt 2 teaspoons black pepper 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon oregano (skipped because I didn't have any in the house) ½ teaspoon chili powder 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  23. I went down to my local butcher for the first time ever (just a few miles down the road) and had them cut me a 4.5lb roast while I waited. And it came out fantastic. I got to use the TipTopTemp ok this cook, but the next one will be done using a BBQube. I think I'm going to have to invest in buying from this place in bulk.
  24. I've been using the butane torch over the cotton balls. Mostly because I forget to soak any ;). The branded heat stone is nice and thick and seems to make holding lower temps a much easier process. For now, mine rolls into the garage to help make it live longer. Or at least that's the dream. I got to try my tiptoptemp out and it does a fantastic job of running a low temp. It's a bit in the way of things for higher temp cooks but it might just be me. I ended up buying an Enzo wireless thermometer that has 4 probes. It's matching up to my instant read and the range is pretty good. Eg, I walked up the street and it was still working a good 400 yards away.
  • Create New...