Hello, new guy here with new (first) Kamado. Looking forward to learning all about Kamado cooking:
So first cook today on the Kamado Joe Jr - pork ribs.
Good lessons learned:
- Cooking grill is 13.5 inches in diameter. Gotta cut the ribs to fit the grill - or buy a smaller rack.
- A corollary - smaller pieces of meat cook faster than large pieces - doh.
- If you use some wood chips be careful they might just catch fire and drive the grill up to 400 when you’re shooting for 275. Leave the wood chips out until you have more experience.
- Once the grill overheats it’s tough to cool it off but a wet towel on the exterior of the dome helps.
- If you’re looking to cook at 275 seems better to cook at 250 rather than 290. You can just cook a little longer.
- Low, slow cooking requires more beer.
- Good lessons from the first rodeo.
Oh, yeah the ribs are still good just not exactly what I’m looking for.