Jump to content


Members Plus
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location:
    Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
  • Interests
    Home-brewed beer (It goes so well with quality prepared food from a kamado!)
  • Grill

Recent Profile Visitors

1,464 profile views

bizwald's Achievements

  1. I've already been a satisfied owner of a full-sized Akorn with cart (model 6520) for two years now. We are headed out to see family this weekend. I've agreed to cook burgers and dogs for a crowd and I didn't want to bring my Weber Smokey Joe. I wanted to use something better. Only one thing to do: go get a portable Akorn! I did that last night. Today I'm seasoning the grates and cleaning out any new grill gunk with a burn-in at 450°F for a couple hours. Poor old Smokey Joe is going to feel neglected. Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
  2. This is how I've managed the fixings for our annual party for the past few years. Four or five point cut corned beef briskets get a moderate dusting of a decent BBQ rub before they get at least four hours of hickory smoke at around 275°F on the day before party day. Then the briskets come inside and go into a crock pot with Guinness and the spice packets set to warm - the lowest possible heat setting - overnight. Mid-morning is when we add the taters, carrots, parsnips and celery. The cabbage goes in only 30 to 45 minutes prior to serving (we don't like mushy cabbage). This meal is always very popular with our party guests. I made Reubens earlier today for brunch with a little leftover brisket. They were so very good. Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
  3. Thanks Chuck. I hope yours comes out as good as mine did. I'm currently enjoying the afterglow of a good summer evening meal (with some decent single-malt). Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
  4. Good evening all. Here's a photo of the trout reheating and some bread toasting. Here is a photo of my plate (trout, bread, and Brussels sprouts) before I enjoyed it thoroughly. Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
  5. Awesome! I'd love to be there and smell and taste it. Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
  6. Good morning all. I didn't take any pictures but I'll post a short summary anyway. I went to the store in search of wild-caught salmon but they had none in stock. They had a decent price on fresh, whole, cleaned trout (rainbow). Here's all I did to them: quick rinse, pat dry with paper towel, garlic salt sprinkled inside the gut cavity and outside. I prepped my Akorn for low-temp cook with apple chips, lit the coals in one center spot and put the deflector in place (I light with a cotton ball soaked in EverClear - it lights well and is very clean). Once my grill level temp hit 170°F I closed the vents down nearly all the way (temperature monitored via Maverick Redi-Chek model ET-733 with only one probe in place mounted to the cooking grate). I put the trout on the grate when grill temp hit 185°F. It stayed on the grill for 90 minutes during which time the temp slowly climbed to around 215°F. It finished up way too late last night for dinner so I wrapped it up and put it in the fridge after tasting a few small pieces. The flavor is very nice - just enough salt, noted smoke without it overpowering the delicate flavor of the trout. My wife expressed her delight and amazement that such a simple process can produce such excellent flavor. For tonight's dinner I'll start the Akorn similar to how I did last night and put the fish on for around 30 minutes to re-heat it and deepen the smoke a little. I'll post a picture or two of that process later tonight. Cheers!
  7. This is tonight's dinner: pork ribs (St. Louis), red potatoes, sweet corn, and mushrooms. First the slab of ribs cut into two parts and dry rubbed. The potatoes were cleaned, sliced in half and par-boiled for five minutes. I charred the rib slabs on both sides over fairly high heat. The dry rub included a little sugar to contribute to the char and carmelization. The corn was simply rubbed with soft butter and shaken with salt and freshly-ground black pepper. After about 80 minutes at around 300°F (swapping rib slabs between top and bottom) I wrapped them in foil and brought out the mushrooms. The mushrooms were gently cleaned, tossed in light olive oil and spices and roasted on the top rack for around 15 minutes. My wife and I both love grilled mushrooms. Here was my plate before I devoured it. I love summer grilling season! Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
  8. I mostly cover the briskets with Guinness - sometimes I add some water or broth (home-made, of course) to bring the level up. You can see in the third pic that the briskets have some surface exposed. As for spices, I roughly double what comes with the briskets in the little packets. I usually have a jar of pickling spice in my cupboard. For four briskets I add a couple of tablespoons from that along with a little kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  9. These are for tomorrow's big party (annual tradition at our house). Four corned beef briskets (point cut) - around 5 lbs. each. I unwrap them and then rinse the slimy goop they get packed in. These four are on a low fire (250°F) that includes a good amount of hickory lump for about three or four hours. After that I bring them in the house, put them in my electric roaster pan with Guinness draft and the pickling spice packets to simmer overnight. I usually add more pickling spice and some Creole seasoning as well. By morning they are very tender and flavorful. About two hours prior to party start time we add the potatoes and carrots. The celery goes in one hour prior and the cabbage goes in only 20 minutes before serving. Here's looking forward to the big party day tomorrow. UPDATE: Here are the briskets at the end of the smoke cycle: And here they are after a soak overnight in Guinness and spices: I had just rolled them over in their bath. The root veggies will be added in about five hours. My wife made the bread pudding yesterday. It's gonna be epic! Thanks for following.
  10. Today's turkey cook went exceptionally well in spite of the weather today (24°F with light snow falling here in Norther Colorado). I had put the bird in brine yesterday mid-morning. This morning, after parking the Akorn on the driveway and lighting up the lump (Rockwood) I prepped the bird for the cook. After taking it out of the brine I patted it dry, tucked the wings back, and slipped fresh herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme) between the breast meat and skin. Then I rubbed it all over with soft butter and olive oil, sprinkled with sea-salt and dried herb blend and tied the leg ends. I got it on the grill by 8:45 AM. My dual-probe temp monitor (Maverick ET-733) showed that even during cold weather my kamado maintained decent temperature (320-335 °F) during the two and a half hour cook. I gave myself more time than I needed as this is my first time doing a cold-weather cook. Smoke wood used was peach and pecan. By 11:15 the deep breast temp was 165°F. I brought it in and covered it with foil and a towel so the temps could even and and it would cool a bit so I wouldn't scald my fingers while carving (I gotta get some grilling gloves). The overall quality of the turkey meat was superb. Not too much smoke flavor, very moist and tender. The dark patches on the breast skin are where I had the fresh herbs tucked under. I had always wanted to smoke the turkey for Thanksgiving. Until I got a kamado it was not possible in cold weather. After today's success in less than ideal weather conditions, I think I'll be smoking the Thanksgiving turkey from here on out.
  11. Looking Good! I did a Thanksgiving practice run on two chickens last weekend. They turned out very moist and flavorful. I used peach and pecan wood for smoke.
  12. Hey everyone. Been reading here lots but this is my first post about a recent cook. Around Father's Day this year I got a new Akorn Kamado and have really liked it after many cooks on it. For years I've always wanted to smoke the turkey for Thanksgiving. Now that I have the Akorn this becomes attainable (Northern Colorado can get cool in November). Over the weekend I wanted to test out the process I'll use to cook the turkey. I brined two chickens for around 14 hours (brine: salt, brown sugar, sage, rosemary, thyme, bay) then added fresh herbs to the cavities of each (sage, rosemary, thyme) and cooked them on my Akorn for about 4.5 hours at around 230°F using three small chunks each of peach and pecan. Internal temp was 165°F when I brought them in for a 20 minute rest before carving. We served the chicken with mashed potatoes with parsnips and broccoli and cauliflower casserole. These chickens were the most moist and tender birds I've ever prepared. The flavor was very nice as well. The herbs came through enough and the smoke was a good accent flavor. This cook was also my first opportunity to use my new Maverick ET733 (dual-probe temp. monitor). That sure helps to keep an eye on temperatures without having to open the top. I also bought a bag of Rockwood premium lump to use for these cooks. Normally I use whatever I can get for around $0.50 / lb. at Costco or Lowes. The Rockwood is more expensive but I do like it. This cook helped me to make sure that I'm ready for the Thanksgiving bird. Depending how big of a turkey we get I suspect I'll need to get up pretty early to get it started. Cheers!
  13. Char-Griller Akorn (Model: 6520) / Fort Collins, CO, USA
  14. Thanks Remoh for posting this (years ago). I plan to try this on my new Akorn soon.
  • Create New...