Made my first Pork Butt today

Alarm went off at 6 am as usual and I was laying out the lump and apple wood by 6:05. I got the Akorn fired up nice and slow like, made some coffee and watched it slowly climb to 225. Put on my rubbed 5lb boneless butt and thus began my day. I was aiming for a true low and slow cook but she settled in at 270 and hung there so I rolled with it. 6 hours later I pulled it off at 205* and foiled it and added a touch of apple juice since dinner was still several hours away. I choked the Akorn down a bit and put it back on for another hour and then into the cooler wrapped in towels. The timing was perfect as my Maverick ET 732 showed up yesterday afternoon in the mail. I love it! It made it so easy and took a lot of the stress out of it.

I used a KC rub on it and did not inject as it was a pre injected cut. The wait time in the cooler and foil compromised the bark a bit but it pulled apart very easily with only one small dryer section on the small end. Even that piece was moist enough, but barely. The rest was perfect, at least as perfect as I have ever have had before. I was tickled that my first one came out so well. I have read here that butts are very forgiving so I shouldn't have been surprised but it still was a great feeling when it pulled apart so easily and so moist. 

I threw on some chicken breasts to put in the fridge for tomorrow and they look great as well. I am absolutely loving kamado grilling and smoking. 

20140402_074322_zps1782a6f4.jpg

20140402_133002_zpsa901ec35.jpg

20140402_143255_zpsf7b8759e.jpg

20140402_145829_zpsd1981048.jpg

20140402_173746_zps4d4e7683.jpg

20140402_173915_zps907616e3.jpg

Thanks! I have got it bad! Had my CGK for exactly one week and have cooked on it 6 out of 7 days. Chicken breasts twice, a whole chicken, smoked sausages, sirloin steak, a chuckie and today the butt. Lovin every bite.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ironskillet
      Was drinking a beer, racking my brain about what I could use as a spacer under my drip pan to keep liquids from scorching on the deflector. Then drank 2 more and came up with this. Sorry if this simplest hack ever has been posted before!

• By Logan
      So a couple of days ago I was in the store and they had picnic shoulder (pork butt with bone-in, skin on) for $0.98/lb and I thought it would be a perfect fit for the Joetisserie: low and slow would make the skin too rubbery so the higher heat should crisp it up nicely (I'd done a porchetta before and it turned out fabulously)

I followed one of John's videos for the rub idea, though he didn't give amounts. I used a mustard base and roughly about
      1/2 c salt
      1/3 c paprika
      1/3 c chili powder
      1/3 c granulated garlic
      1/3 c onion powder

And held the Joe steady at about 310 for the dome temp. To help with the acrid smoke from all the drippings I slid the bottom vent to only about a 1/4 inch open after a while and kept the top wide open. Actually used the Smobot with this one just for fun and it seemed to work pretty well at keeping the temps where I wanted. Total cook time was right at about 5 hours for a 10 lb picnic shoulder. I was shooting for about 185+ degrees F throughout. Then I let it rest tented in foil about an hour.

I don't know that it shows up very well in the pictures, but that was one of the juiciest pieces of meat I've ever had and so tender that a knife wasn't necessary. The flavor throughout was ridiculous. I'd been assuming the inner portion wouldn't get much flavor and the rub would only be on the surface but for some reason the flavor seemed to have permeated everywhere. The skin turned out very crispy.

Definitely one to do again!
    • By HarryLeg
      Hi,
         My youngest son, who is home from college, requested BBQ. We're from NC so that meant a full shoulder. He's been an awesome son. I have to brag. Kept his grades up, got his Eagle Scout, and recently got accepted into Aerospace Engineering at The University of Maryland College Park after 2 years  at Salisbury University as a math major. I have read the advice about not doing your first overnight cook until you've done it in the day. Broke that rule. My wife and I are raising our twin grandchildren (older son) who are now 2.5 years old, and we're taking them to the beach this morning so the cook had to happen earlier Started at  8:30 pm.

I filled the fire box to 1 inch below the diverter (thanks Tarheel), and lit the center. In 10 mins I dropped the lid and was off. I was shooting for 250° - 300° and with my previous attempt at grill control I started  closing down my vents at 175° top to 1/32" bottom left dial closed, bottom right to 1/2) so I could sneak up on my temperature. Remember, I'm new at this and don't know my grill. At 9:40 it was holding steady at 288° at 10:00 pm I threw in the deflector racks and drip pan. I used the drip pan on the lower rack and meat on the upper. 
          After closing the lid, the grill temp was 217°  and dropped to 205° by 10:50 so I adjusted vents ( top to 1 on scale and bottom left to just above 1/2). At 11:15 the grill was at 250° so I figure I'd take that and closed top down to 1/8" and bottom left to just below 1/2.  By 12:15 am it leveled out at 164°. I went to bed with grill and meat alarms set. 

At 6:09 my alarm in the butt(lower weight) went off at 195°, grill at 297°. It was probe tender so off it went to the cooler. The picnic was at 189° and had some resistance so it stayed on until 6:57 when it was ready. 

The meat currently resides in the cooler. It will get chopped (no pulling) in a few hours. The Lexington style sauce has been made since Tuesday. The red slaw was made last night while the grill was coming up to temp. I'm from Durham, NC  near the dividing line of eastern and western NC BBQ. I love them both but my wife is from Lexington so Catsup gets added to the vinegar base besides, I do prefer the red slaw with my BBQ. 

More to come later...

• By Mikegust90
      Gave this a whirl. Turned out great!! Please let me know what you think. Just started to smoke more frequently and have been asked to start cooking for other people.https://youtu.be/lD315UxzFpk
    • By philpom
      I've played around doing the boston butt like this a few times and it is a keeper for us.  I see no reason why I won't come back to this again and again.
      Extremely juicy Tender Great presentation Wonderful flavor Relatively quick The rub (estimation, play with it)
      4 heaping TB chili powder 2 heaping TB Cumin 1 heaping TB onion powder 1 heaping TB garlic powder 1 TB kosher salt 1 TB sugar 1 ts black pepper 3/4 ts cinnamon With the fat side up I cut a deep cross hatch in the butt, deep enough to reach meat, 3/4" or more, the hatch about 1 1/4 inch square.  Then cut an entire sweet onion in to rings and line the bottom of a foil pan with them, place the butt on top fat side up.  Using your fingers open the cross hatch up and poor 1/3 cup of lime juice down in.  Follow with 2/3 of the rub, get it down in there, it will seem like a bunch but no worries.  Poor another 1/4 cup of lime juice over the top.  Dump the rest of the rub in the pan around the butt.  Dump 1 strong citrus/piney/hoppy I.P.A in the pan, not over the butt.  Foil tightly and place in fridge overnight.
      Smoke with apple wood at 275 with no foil until you reach 165ish internal temp then remove from the kamado and foil tightly and continue to smoke until 199ish internal temp.  Rest, shred, add 1/2 of the juice from the pan in to the shredded pork and enjoy.

There you go, Indian Pale Ale Lime Butt or I.P.A.L. Butt