Vintage Kamado help

It looks as though that is a Sakura Kamado. It is a close relative to the original Japanese Imperial Ksmado, made in about 1968, in Japan. I would grab it if you could. These era Kamados sell for over $1000 on Ebay quite often.

• 5 years later...

Greetings,  Kamado lovers, here are some pictures of the one I bought last year, still unused. This Kamada is an original smaller version, much smaller than the very large one I had living in Florida back in 1983, loved it, so now living in the U.P. of Michigan and found this never used small version inside a garage sale as you see it now. I will be setting it up here soon, I bought a small stand, off of eBay, so hoping it will fit. I just have to put down some pavers to make a stable place to set it up. Any thoughts, ideas are welcome. Cheers, Walt

20170916_100935.jpg

20170916_101009.jpg

20170916_101049.jpg

20170916_100957.jpg

20170916_100951.jpg

20170916_101026.jpg

20170916_100931.jpg

The question, how would I go about installing an outside thermometer to my Kamado pictured above? I don't want to crack the pottery and I'm not sure if the replacement ones branded by Kamado are what I need. Maybe just use a remote one? Ideas? :idea: Thanks

While I don't have experience with that type of Kamado, I do have experience with industrial thermocouples.  I'd make a simple bracket from wire or strip steel, stainless if you can get it, bent to clip around the base of the lid of the grill, to support a wired thermocouple.  You can run the wire and clip both across the gasket surface.  I use Type K thermocouples on my grill rig, as you can get both readers and probes for relatively cheap, and since the parts are industry standard, you don't have to worry about finding repair parts ever.  You can even make up extension wires as needed for however you want to rig things, or have multiple probes that you can switch as needed (e.g. one in the roast you are cooking, another already ready to go in the chicken you are putting on when the roast comes off).  I have a couple of cheap dual input thermocouple readers, and when cooking low and slow I have one stainless steel probe inserted into the meat, and the other supported about 1 1/2" above the grill surface by a simple bent wire stand, measuring the cooking temperature right near the meat.  It may not be wireless, but it works reliably and I just position the reader where I can see it, usually from inside the house.  Using standard parts also gives you some freedom to expand in the future, with multiple probe switchboxes, or with fancier controllers with alarm settings, whatever you want.  Industrial thermocouple controllers can be found to do almost whatever you can imagine.