Kamado Table

Anybody considered building or built a table for their CG Akorn (or the like)? First gotcha that comes to mind is how to empty ash pan on bottom. I guess you could shopvac ashes out, lift cooker out of table to access pan or have a trap door in the surface the cooker sits on to drop pan thru. Below is what I'm talking about:post-418-13756507194178_thumb.jpg

I'm wanting to do that. I'd like to know if the cooker can hang in the hole. If so and I don't have to worry with it sitting on the ash pan, I'll be starting one soon.

Could probably jurry rig something to attach where the shelves attach to either side to hang the cooker from a table.

I'm wanting to do that. I'd like to know if the cooker can hang in the hole. If so and I don't have to worry with it sitting on the ash pan, I'll be starting one soon.

Could probably jurry rig something to attach where the shelves attach to either side to hang the cooker from a table.

Yeah - had similar thought last night - hanging from the 3x3 holes that legs are attached to - only concern is that the structure it hangs from would need to be below the table top. Not sure that the 2x2 holes for the shelves would provide enought support. Haven't figured it out yet and haven't seen any examples.

Also, most of the pics I've seen look like the one I orignally posted - with cooker sitting on a stone or other surface. Do the other Kamado's not have removable ash pans?

releehweoj said

"Also, most of the pics I've seen look like the one I orignally posted - with cooker sitting on a stone or other surface. Do the other Kamado's not have removable ash pans?"

On most you rake them out the front. This eliminates the possibility of an air leak and the gasket catching on fire. The AKORN and the Vision pro have removable ash traps and the potential air leaks.

Wow i sure like the wood table. Perhaps brackets that screw to the side table area combined with brackets where the legs connect and a couple of screws in a couple of the brackets. You may want to remove it to replace the ask gasket.

They aren't going to leak any more than normal cause it sits in a table. the pic i posted was to show you it could be done. if you do a search for diy kamado table youll find plans.

So how would you empty it?

Would you glue the two surfaces together at the trap. My gasket has already burned up from doing hamburgs.

They aren't going to leak any more than normal cause it sits in a table. the pic i posted was to show you it could be done. if you do a search for diy kamado table youll find plans.

You are right about the plans.

http://extremehowto.com/building-a-cook ... mic-grill/

It even links back to this site

http://kamadoguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=411

here are a lot of them

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm

here are the plans

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tableplans/tableplans.htm

Marty, if you look at the post with the akorn, the owner has total access to the ash trap. if your Hawley is pooched let char griller know and Im sure they will send you another. Not sure how it happened though.

A table is a great option if its what somebody needs/wants. I've always thought they looked nice.

Marty, if you look at the post with the akorn, the owner has total access to the ash trap. if your Hawley is pooched let char griller know and Im sure they will send you another. Not sure how it happened though.

A table is a great option if its what somebody needs/wants. I've always thought they looked nice.

Ooops I was looking at the top picture with the ceramic sitting on the second shelf. My mistake. I also misread your "not going to leak any more "to mean the weight of the unit would help seal it as it sat in the stand.

I love tables and it would really add to the looks and the cooking process. Judging by the picture they just made the hole small enough to catch the top part. It would be easy to make in wood.

My AKORN is fine. It just needs a new ash trap gasket and a few minutes to install.

Mine caught fire from greasy burgers and when I shut it up to cool ---the grease caught fire. Judging from the carbon ---the gasket was soaked in grease.

I may just do burgers on the gas grill with the grill grates. I am not the first and I doubt i will be last to have a grease fire in the trap. A stuck ash trap is a sure sign. Beyond the gasket--- it is fine. I do see some rust on the flange just below the coal grate.

Here is a thought. Make the table and cut the legs off and weld a plate on the end and let this sit on the second shelf. You could even put a couple of screws. The ash trap would just slide in and out. The only tricky part would be cutting the angle of the legs.