Plagued with PC Problems Today

John Setzler

Today has been a rough one at the Man Cave desk.  My PC has started acting up.  What's even worse is that it's one of those problems that is next to impossible to troubleshoot.  The darned thing just started randomly rebooting.  I'd be typing along happily and blam... the screen would go black and the computer would do a hard boot.

I had a hard drive controller that I knew was suspect so I took it out.  No help.

I pulled out a USB3 card that I had added.  No help.

I checked all my cable connections.  No help.

My power supply had been getting a little noisy, but that isn't typically indicative of a pending failure.  I made a run to Best Buy and picked up a new power supply.  I haven't had it back up and running long enough yet to determine if this is the 'fix' or not but I HOPE it is.  Anything else will be expensive :(

Did it just start happening?  Was there anything new that you installed? any updates? Does it do that when its just sitting there or does it do it in a specific application?  start by leaving it on doing nothing, if it does not reboot or black out then its an app on your system, if it shuts down then it may be hardware.  Try rolling your system back to when it was working fine and see if its software. if you roll it back and it works then work forward and see what new things were installed or updated on your system.  If its hardware then it looks like you already pulled your components that you suspect,  Remove and reseat the ram then start working forward from there.  hopefully its not your board but check for a bios update. its a long road but hopefully it is your powersupply. good luck! 

It was doing it completely randomly.  It would do it from a fresh boot up just sitting at the login prompt also.  So far it looks like replacing the power supply is going to be the fix.  I have been running for a couple hours now on the new power supply and I couldn't go for more than about 30 minutes between reboots prior to that swap out.

I had random problems that corrupted my OS and I kept going by using Go Back. It turned out to be one memory stick that was bad intermittently. Those kind of things can drive a person crazy.

It sounds like you found your gremlin. Good luck.

I hope so.  I have made a lot of changes to the computer in the last 3 months.  I have added an additional 8gb of RAM, replaced a 64gb SSD with a 480gb SSD, replaced the DVD/RW drive with a Blu-Ray/RW, added a USB3 expansion card, and a couple other things.  My software hasn't changed much recently.

My old dell started acting up a few months ago, I suspect the hdd is failing. I would be working and then get BSOD with a memory dump or some windows system error stop. Now that I have an iPad, I don't use the PC much and can't wait to replace it with a Mac Book or iMac. I will set it up to dual boot so I can use my expensive windows based publishing software but that is it. I've seen the light and really like iOS.