Brinkmann Trailmaster Ceramic Egg?

Ok I was doing another mod today and I saw your post about the bottom vent. I cut the ends off the two sides where they hit the bottom screws and that has cut down the gap. Pics below:

[snip - removed pics]

And last but not least, today's mod (2nd grate):

Very nice, I was grilling last night and while waiting for the burgers to cook I was eyeing the bottom door and came up with the exact same trimming strategy you used. Trim off the sides and maybe a bit off those lower edges to really eliminate the gap. Will have to take some measurements to make sure that trimming off part of those bottom tab things won't cause an opening at the top of the door though...

Stainless steel 1/4 x 1-1/4 fender washers and stainless steel 1/4-20 wing nuts and the weber 14.5" cooking grate

Also very nice. This is probably the first mod I'm going to do aside from new gaskets and lower door trimming/modification. Glad to know the 14.5" grate fits!

And I'll also have to get in touch with Brinkmann to see about a replacement thermometer. I picked a cheap one up from amazon hoping it was closer than my stock one (shouldn't be hard given the stock one is 200* off) but if I can get an adjustable one from Brinkmann that might be worth a shot.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to let other owners of this grill know that Brinkmann has updated (and improved) the top vent design.  Like others who have posted here, I bought the floor display so I got a good deal on it.  However, the damper control on the top vent was missing, as was the door handle.  I went to the Brinkmann site and ordered the replacement parts.  The handle came right away but I had to wait weeks for the top vent, which was backordered.  When it finally arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was different from the original stainless steel unit.  

The new one is cast iron and really well made.  It's friction mounted as opposed to the bolt-on original, which is good because there's no exposed hardware.  I wrapped a 7/8" x 1/8" gasket all the way around the outside of the ceramic neck opening, which nicely covered the old mounting holes, and pushed the new vent on.  It slid on perfectly, with a very tight seal.

Now for the bad news.  I just checked the Brinkmann site and that part is no longer listed.  If you want one, I guess you'll have to contact customer service.  The part number is 600-5000-1.  Unfortunately, my invoice doesn't show the price and I ordered it so long ago that I'm not sure exactly how much it cost.  I do know it was pretty cheap though - under $30.

Here are some photos:

post-10082-0-80071900-1443524217.jpg

post-10082-0-71986500-1443524223.jpg

post-10082-0-97339200-1443524232.jpg

post-10082-0-34643900-1443524240.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Man, that is a much nicer looking top vent! Will definitely have to give them a call and find out if I can still pick one up!

Though on the other hand I'm tempted to go with the other replacement that people recommend to gain the rain protection.

I can also say that adding a bit of extra gasket material where the OEM top vent bolts are went a long way to help with temp control. I had a hard time keeping the temps below 240-250 during my first low-n-slow cook but after simply adding a couple scraps of gasket around the bolt holes I was able to hold 225 stable with very little adjustment for a full 6 hour cook. Now I just need to stop being lazy and get a straight edge to fully replace both the top vent and main lid gaskets and really seal this thing up.

This has seriously been one of the best investments I've made in a long, long time. I just wish it was an 18" grill since the racks of spare ribs I've been cooking are just a bit too long to fit on the grill. Using a rib rack to hold the ribs on end I can barely fit 2 racks in w/o cutting them.. but at least now I know I love kamados and won't hesitate to spend a bit more next time around to get a larger premium kamado!

Yeah, I would have gone with the SmokeWare vent if it were the correct size for this grill.  I didn't want to get into the retrofitting method that ompy77 posted earlier, even though it seemed simple enough.  I also don't anticipate cooking in the rain very often.  

I agree with you about the size being the biggest drawback.  Even though it's big enough for pretty much anything I'll do, it's just an odd size which will make it tough to find a replacement or upgraded cooking grate.  With this in mind, I bought a second one from Brinkmann for future use.  It's only 18.95 plus shipping and I was able to get 10% off using the code "save10".  Hopefully that still works.

http://www.brinkmann.net/products/details.aspx?item=855-5000-0

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

ompy77, which Smoke Ware chimney did you purchase?

I did contact Vison Grills, according to them they do not manufacture this grill.

Did you know that there is a Snap On Tools version of it? I've had one since the end of May, and absolutely love it.

I bought the CyberQ setup for it from BBQ Guru, and it is awesome the way it controls the temperature. Being able to monitor it on my iPhone is great too.

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

Edited by JdRycher
Forgot name

On 2/29/2016 at 3:05 PM, Ed Ramcharran said:

Brinkmann Site no longer selling products b/c of chapter 11. I really wanted that new vent!

I just ordered a spare one from my Snap On dealer. So far he has gotten spare parts for me that are discontinued through Brinkman. I uploaded the complete list of parts for the grill.

Copy of SSX15P104 Smoker Replcmnt Parts-For Customer Reference.xls

• 3 months later...
On 10/7/2017 at 10:48 AM, JdRycher said:

ompy77, which Smoke Ware chimney did you purchase?

I did contact Vison Grills, according to them they do not manufacture this grill.

Did you know that there is a Snap On Tools version of it? I've had one since the end of May, and absolutely love it.

I bought the CyberQ setup for it from BBQ Guru, and it is awesome the way it controls the temperature. Being able to monitor it on my iPhone is great too.

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

JdRycher- 

How do you like that SNAP ON branded BRINKMANN? I found one on FB, never used, with stone, grates and all for $300. I feel thats a good deal but know I have to do a few things to eliminate the air leaks. I am concerned/confused on how that lower damper works. 

I do a lot of slow cooking and want to be able to maintain 225 easily. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...