Not that hot. Maybe 450 on the dome gage. But the pan was 6 inches closer to the fire. I'm a bit stumped.

450* on the dome is more like 500* - 600* on the grate. Then the diffuser directly above the flame could even be hotter. I can see this happening.

Opps..... that is hot! Did you start with some water in the pan during the burn off? Proves we are all cooking with FIRE B)

Yes and no. I don't know when the pan melted but i was using it as a drip pan for brisket. After taking the brisket off i cranked up the heat some to grill some chicken breasts. But the accumulated grease started to smolder pretty bad and was getting to grease fire stage so i poured in some water. I think the burn through may have happened by then because i got a huge cloud of smoke and water vapor and it took a while for the fire to get back to 450.

Opps..... that is hot! Did you start with some water in the pan during the burn off? Proves we are all cooking with FIRE B)

Yes and no. I don't know when the pan melted but i was using it as a drip pan for brisket. After taking the brisket off i cranked up the heat some to grill some chicken breasts. But the accumulated grease started to smolder pretty bad and was getting to grease fire stage so i poured in some water. I think the burn through may have happened by then because i got a huge cloud of smoke and water vapor and it took a while for the fire to get back to 450.

Sounds like the grease may have caught fire and that was the heat source for the melty spot