Sign in to follow this  
GoatLocker

Smoked Halibut

All, did a search, and found nothing on this topic.

Not sure if this is a good idea or not.

I have a 3 pound hunk of halibut.

Obviously not cheap.

I can cook it as is, or filet it and go from there.

My thought was to smoke it, but not having a lot of luck with searches finding much info.

Has anybody tried this.

Thanks all.

Cliff

Never tried smoking it. My favorite preparation has been Parmesan crusted halibut that is pan seared. It goes well with a starchy risotto. Had it with a roasted red pepper risotto once, and it was my of my favorite meals ever. I loved smoked salmon, but don't know how well halibut would hold up to it. I cure my salmon in a dry salt/sugar brine prior to smoking. It draws out a lot of the moisture and produces a beautiful finished product.

I am with Nick2cd, never tried it smoked, but love halibut. It has such a delicate unique flavor, I don't know how it would take to smoke.  i cook it on the grill with olive oil  and herbs.  I have also cooked it in a tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes and onions. make the sauce and then add the halibut, when it is opaque it is done. not a long cook. good luck and if you smoke it let us know how it turned out. 

Just my two cents as you boys say.

For me Fish is a luxury food, 'the last wild animal' and Halibut here is almost impossible to find, unless you have enough money to own your own helicopter.

I could never dream of smoking a piece of Halibut, I'd just grill it and enjoy.

I've tried slow cooking/smoking -- not impressed with halibut.

Salmon, steelhead, large trout, & some species of cod -- we love smoked.

Halibut, we like grilled or roasted (as you would in an oven), indirect on the kamado. Then, it is very good eats! Good ideas above. Don't overcook, & go easy on wood for smoke, a little fruit wood is OK, or use no wood. Just my 2cents.

Thanks all for the responses.

I cut it into filets and froze it.

Will grill them two at a time when we are ready.

Just grilled some swordfish last week, and it came out great.

Cliff

I know this is an old old thread but wanted to revive some discussion on fish.

Halibut I like two ways - grilled with just some salt on it and served with lemon, or sort of open poached in a little butter, salt, lemon juice and a dash of white wine. I leave the foil open so it gets just a hint of smoke from charcoal.

Have done on both my Pit Boss 24" and Weber kettle.

43 minutes ago, djsomers said:

I know this is an old old thread but wanted to revive some discussion on fish.

Halibut I like two ways - grilled with just some salt on it and served with lemon, or sort of open poached in a little butter, salt, lemon juice and a dash of white wine. I leave the foil open so it gets just a hint of smoke from charcoal.

Have done on both my Pit Boss 24" and Weber kettle.

Yeah I am with you on that. Halibut has a really delicate unique flavor that doesn't need much to make it wonderful. Although, probably the best Halibut I ever tasted was at a restaurant in Santa Barbara called Ca Dario. They made this wonderful sauce with stewed tomatoes, onions and garlic, with  white wine and fresh herbs. One of those "honey is it ok to lick the plate, nobodies looking" kind of dinners.