Why I dislike Royal Oak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Canadian Royal oak blue bag is indeed pure garbage!!!!!! Here's what I found in a few bags of it:

a few nails

lots of rocks

cement pieces

two piece of metal straping

a piece of shingle

hard wood use for flooring

They basically use scap building material to make thes'e from what I can see! The smoke when you light it up is horrible, and take a while to clear! I will never used there product again!

This is why I use Basque Natures Own from costco at $12.50 a bag! That stuff is amazing!

I've been having pretty good luck with Frontier Brand lump which I buy at our local Sam's Club. I haven't found any nonburnable junk it the last 4 bags and while there are some pretty big pieces in each bag, there are the inevitable mid to smaller size pieces we all experience. I've used the Cowboy brand in the past and developed a serious dislike for it. I hear from some that lately it is an improved product. I hope so. I categorized it at one point as being the "cream of the crap"  :)

I've been having pretty good luck with Frontier Brand lump which I buy at our local Sam's Club. I haven't found any nonburnable junk it the last 4 bags and while there are some pretty big pieces in each bag, there are the inevitable mid to smaller size pieces we all experience. I've used the Cowboy brand in the past and developed a serious dislike for it. I hear from some that lately it is an improved product. I hope so. I categorized it at one point as being the "cream of the crap"  :)

I think ya nailed it Al.

My bag of RO is all small... Nothing larger than the rocks pictured above. Also, found some metal strapping in my bag tonight... The kind that is used to strap boxes to a pallet for example. Funny thing was it looked like it had been burned in the kiln!

Like aljoseph I have been using the Frontier brand from Sam's Club.  I have had to dig through their stock a bit to find bags with larger pieces but for approx $.50/lb you can't go too wrong. Out of 4 bags I have found 1 small rock and 1 nail. 

I also purchased a bag of Kroger lump charcoal - good sized large to medium pieces and no scrap wood or junk. I'd use it again in a pinch.

Like aljoseph I have been using the Frontier brand from Sam's Club. I have had to dig through their stock a bit to find bags with larger pieces but for approx $.50/lb you can't go too wrong. Out of 4 bags I have found 1 small rock and 1 nail.

I also purchased a bag of Kroger lump charcoal - good sized large to medium pieces and no scrap wood or junk. I'd use it again in a pinch.

I bought a bag of frontier from BJs tonight...at less than $.50/lb, I figured I'd give it a go.

Royal Oak I bought from Home Depot sparked like crazy but burns very hot and fast.  The 20lb bags of Frontier from Lowes do have some small rocks in the bag and gives me average/good burn time and ash production.  At less than $.50 per bag, it's a good buy though.  Fingers crossed that Sams or Bjs will have some closeout prices for end of season this year.  

• 1 month later...

This is very interesting reading.  I'm in the Vancouver BC area, and I'm only 2 years into Kamado cooking with charcoal.  I have used the Natures Grilling Hardwood lump from Canadian Tire, and the infamous Blue Bag Royal Oak, both with similarly good results.  I also would get the Duraflame Lump Charcoal from Home Depot with good results.  Then Home Depot changed to Cowboy Lump, so I tried it.  With the BBQ at temperature, I couldn't open it without being sparked away - it was snapping, crackling and popping something terrible.  Interesting, I went to Duraflame's website, and low and behold, it lists Cowboy on it - is Cowboy therefore made by Duraflame?  Or distributed by them in Canada?  In any case, both me and a buddy who has a kamado both experienced the same sparking issue.  And, I've never experienced so much ash, after even a short burn for steaks.  So I've gone back to the Blue Bag Royal Oak, and find it works great...steady burn, limited smoke flavour so I can add my own flavour chunks, and very low ash production.  I guess I'll carry on using it until I have a bad experience, as related above.  Interesting to read other's experiences though...