A "Sizzle-Q" Griddle/Flat Top In Action on Big Joe

Smokehowze

A "Sizzle-Q" Griddle/Flat Top In Action on Big Joe

I wanted to do smash burgers on Big Joe.  And I was thinking what I had that I could cook them on so that cooking 8 burgers would not take all night.

Hummm....  I recalled I had a Sizzle-Q  (http://www.littlegriddle.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SQ180)  from a Sam's Club special deal a couple of years back stashed in the bottom storage area of my gasser.    

Would it fit on Big Joe, he asked?

And since it was Big(Red)Joe ... in his usual obedient manner, he readily accommodated the Sizzle-Q.

I placed on on the main grill grid and cooked with direct heat, settling Joe in at  400 degrees before putting the Sizzle-Q in place and letting it heat up.  One could probably go to 450 if they wanted.  But, 400 seemed to work well.  The burgers were cooked lid closed.

I hit the flat top with grape seed oil where I wanted to plant a burger and slapped it down and smashed the burgers (~ 6 oz balls of Costco ground beef).  Then seasoned with a mix of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika.  

The Sizzle-Q would actually hold about five/six of these full bun size burgers at a time, especially if one put on three at a time, then when they were flipped moved them to permit three more to be slapped down and smashed.  But three or even four at a time was a very user friendly approach.

Here it is in action:

Sizzle-Q on Big Joe  (yes.. the small cast iron frying pan is being used as my burger press)

DSCF7632_zpsde328b6e.jpg

Bet you can smell the goodness!

DSCF7629_zpsb879e128.jpg

It is a shame you can't be here for a bite and a beverage.

DSCF7634_zps6011034c.jpg

Hope you find this information useful.

Looking good SmokeHowze.

I have the Kettle Q and she's pretty tiny on the Big Joe. I've ordered the KJ Griddle. We'll have to see how it performs on the Big Joe.

The KJ griddle is one reason I have not gone with a different griddle.  Soon, I hope we shall have them and the other parts of the divide and conquer as after market toys.

I may order a 2nd half moon Griddle if I have the Divide and Conquer rack. If you want to run two Griddles at the same time each Griddle will need to sit at a differnt level of the D & C rack in order for the fire to breath. It's doable.

The Sizzle Q will really shine if you want to make Hickory Smoked Bacon. The Half Moon griddles would be bad for Bacon given the huge Grease Fire that would get in your firebox. At least with the Sizzle Q you would have the grease trap to keep things clean. I had a bacon great overflow one time that created a huge Grease fire in the Joe. Since then I keep a spare food cans and a stainless ladle to clear out excess grease for large bacon cooks to prevent a bacon grease eruption. This is an easier way of getting rid of extra grease without spilling anything on your gasket. Nothing kills your gaskets faster than dripping bacon grease on them.

Seeing that the sizzle q and grill grates are about the same price, how do they compare? My main interest in either product is for smash burgers, the CI grate on the Akorn is good enough for me when it comes to searing.

Seeing that the sizzle q and grill grates are about the same price, how do they compare? My main interest in either product is for smash burgers, the CI grate on the Akorn is good enough for me when it comes to searing.

Aren't the griddle and grates two different beasts? Why not just take a CI skillet and cut off the handle for a cheaper CI grill griddle?

Aren't the griddle and grates two different beasts? Why not just take a CI skillet and cut off the handle for a cheaper CI grill griddle?

A lot of people flip the grillgrates and do smash burgers on them. I want something that will drain grease so a CI skillet is not something I am interested in.