Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

Knives & Sharpening

I think Global has some of the MOST beautiful knives made. Giada made them her featured knife in her gorgeous and perfectly decorated set up for her cooking show on food net work and they fit right in.

The thing is I will not consider any knife with a metal handle because I find them slippery when wet.

I really dont like Giada's show, but for some reason I am compelled to watch :lol:

Gida is just over the top with her gorgeous set. I have gotten some great recipes from her but usually delete with out watching.

I would love Guy's outdoor set up with the wood pizza oven, charcoal grill, commercial stove, running water, refrigeration---ETC all under a park sized pavilion---of course there would be a KAMADO in mine.

I have Giada, Alton Brown, Guy, Paula, Rachiel RAY, Pat and Gina, Bobby Flay, Barefoot Contessa all set to record. Out of twenty shows ---i delete most after reading what they made. Others I watch only one thing being made and delete. I may watch at most two and a half episodes out of twenty. Hey you can go on line and print the recipe out AND often the reader reviews have great substitutions.

Paula, Barefoot Contessa, Guy, and Tyler Florence have over the years came through with some dynamite recipes. Paula and Ina typically have too much butter BUT they some times have great recipes that are healthy---like Paula's three bean salad or Ina's carrot salad.

Giada is over the top with her adding an unneccessary accent to every word italian. Its like ok, we get it, youre from Italy. Get over it.

But yeah her setup is nice and thats where I first saw the Global knives but they also use them on Chopped. Therefore a lot of people have cut themselves also lol.

Giada is over the top with her adding an unneccessary accent to every word italian. Its like ok, we get it, youre from Italy. Get over it.

But yeah her setup is nice and thats where I first saw the Global knives but they also use them on Chopped. Therefore a lot of people have cut themselves also lol.

When I am using a knife I want it to feel secure in my hand. The dimpled metal is slippery in my hand and makes me feel ---exactly like i could cut myself. If they put a handle on them that was not slippery when wet I would really consider them. At one point I was ready to buy a couple of them until I held one. Then I found reviews about them being slippery. I do think they are great looking.

The thing about her set is it is so perfect. I just do not think a real kitchen that was used could ever look like that. Hey it is TV fantasy land. My fantasy still would be Guy's out door pavilion.

I've got Global as well as one Shun. I also have a few Masahiro, which are my favorites. But there are so many fine Japanese knives out there that offer a (IMO) better knife at the same price point. Great price / value is MAC. Holds an edge and great balance.

But after spending probably $1000 on knives, I've learned 2 things. 1. Don't buy a knife without having it in your hand FIRST. 2. The warranty DOES make a difference. Quick story. I have a 12 in carver from Global. I accidently dropped it onto the tile floor and a crescent shape nick happened, about half the size of a a finger nail. I contacted Global and explained what happened, including that I dropped it. They asked me to return it and I received a replacement at no cost. Other warranty experience was with Zwillinge. They have a life time warranty. Well after about 15 years, the wood handle started to crack around the rivets. I returned it to them and received a new knife, no questions asked. They did not have the exact same style, after all the knife was 15 years old, but they did their best in selecting a similar knife as a replacement.

Re: Knives & Sharpening

Unread postby light-zone ยป Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:56 pm

I've got Global as well as one Shun. I also have a few Masahiro, which are my favorites. But there are so many fine Japanese knives out there that offer a (IMO) better knife at the same price point. Great price / value is MAC. Holds an edge and great balance.

I agree with all you said especially holding the knife before buying and the Japanese knives seeming to cut better.

I have a MAC--- love it. I have A Ken Onion chefs knife---I like it but wish the curve was a little more flat on the bottom. I have the Calaphon chefs knife and for $30 it is a good knife and the Victronix chefs knife with the fibrox handle is excellent. I have it also and it is a fine knife. I also have a Henckels chefs knife and boning knife. I an embarrassed to say I bough a Guy Ferrie Chefs knife because the price was good.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... +victronix

One can cut just fine with the Victronix and really do not need any thing more but I still love the Japanese knives.

I have three shuns I use the 7 inch Japanese style, pairing and utility knife. Now for heavy work I go to,the local restaurant supply store and buy 8 inch chiefs knife by winco. I baby my shuns but the winco takes a licking if the blade gets mucked up I toss it and get a new one. Can't say enough about my Shuns!!!

I have three shuns I use the 7 inch Japanese style, pairing and utility knife. Now for heavy work I go to,the local restaurant supply store and buy 8 inch chiefs knife by winco. I baby my shuns but the winco takes a licking if the blade gets mucked up I toss it and get a new one. Can't say enough about my Shuns!!!

The positives of those winco chef's knives is that they are made to be resharpened again and again so the blade has a large beveled edge. The average home user knife isn't really designed to be used as heavily and therefore not made to be resharpened as often.

I may go buy some of those myself today, as that is a smart idea.

If you are just throwing them away you might try this. Just use a light pressure or you get a ragged edge. i would never use it on my good knives but it does work. To test for sharpness I rest the edge of the knife on the back of a fingernail ---if it slips off it is still dull. If it grabs and does not slide it is sharp. This cheap sharpener will sharpen a knife until it grabs.

http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-K ... +sharpener

I prefer German knives. These are my Solicut chefs knives. Little known on this side of the pond, they are relatively heavy due to the extended bolsters. They take and hold a superior edge. The 8in is my favorite everyday knife and it's 6in little brother is my Baby's favorite.

knives005.jpg

I have a 6" wusthof classic chef's knife that i use for everything. it's fantastic! i have the 8" chef's knife as well, but rarely get it out as the 6" is great for all but the biggest tasks. i can't recommend the wusthofs highly enough. they are a great knife. furthermore, i also have the edge pro apex and it is, hands down, the best sharpening system i've ever used. my knives stay scary sharp with the edge pro. lastly, if you are into the shun knives, at least give the bob kramer shun knives a look. they are beautiful. bob kramer is one of the greatest knife makers of our time and the work he is doing with shun allows just about anyone to have one of his designs.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-5 ... efs-Knives

I agree, really like Victorinex Forshner, durable,hold an edge, nice grip, and CHEAP. The chef-owner of the world famous Alinea in Chicago keeps an edge on his knives with a $10 Fiskars sharpener. Go figure.

With Giada what bugs me is the orgasmic eye rolling whenever she takes a bite of her food. Enough, already.

I have had the same set of henckel four stars since 1988. I love them. The 8" cheff has sliced and diced a lot of things, including my fingers, and traveled the country with me. I keep looking at the Japanese knives though. At some point I will probably get one. Its good advice to hold the knife first to get the feel. Its also good to learn how to hold the food you are preping and pay attention. I have the scars to show for it.