Cook Time - 8lb Pork Shoulder for pulled pork?

Hi all,

Looked all over the forums, and I'm seeing anywhere from 8-9 to 24 hours (obviously depends on temperature etc) to do a shoulder for pulled pork.  So I am thinking around an 11-12 hour cook maybe?

Saturday evening, I want to feast around 7:00pm.  Eating time is a LITTLE flexible, but don't want to miss 7:00 by too much.

Assuming a relatively close to 250 degree burn (on a test run, I seem to be able to hold 250 on the BSK easy enough) can someone give me comments/suggestions on my backwards time plan on things?

One option I also have is starting off in the oven (where I can set an exact time/temperature to start cooking), and then get up early and then move it into the BBQ for the day.

So....

7:00pm : eat

5:00pm : pull off BBQ (hopefully at around 195 degrees internal temp) and wrap/rest

12:00pm : adjust temp to try accelerate/decelerate cooking speed based on current state.

5:00am : piggy on the BBQ and adjust thermometers/alarms, go back to bed

4:00am : get BBQ started/stable at close to 250 as possible, or just start roast in oven to get stable start on things. 

If you look through out this forum, I sure you also saw that time cooking is difficult at best. That being said, your timeline will work if, you can maintain 250° or better through out your cook, and you are willing to crank your temp if need be, as you mentioned. I would also recommend taking your temp to 205°, you won't be dissapointed. If its done early, just wrap it, and re-heat in the oven if necessary. Put your pork in a pan or a pan underneath, to catch the juices, you can use that to moisturize if need be.

I did a shoulder last Sunday. It was just a hair under 6 lb  and I cooked it hovering between 225° and 250°. I put it on at 11 a.m. and took it off at 6:30 p.m. So extrapolating that out, I'd say at a minimum 9-10 hours and maybe even longer. 

if you want a smoke flavor  on the pork .. use the oven last.. the first two to three hours raw is best to get the smoke on the pork. if you want it to just fall apart    no pullin ...use internal temp probe to 205 ... you  will be able to stir it with a spoon!

if you want a smoke flavor  on the pork .. use the oven last.. the first two to three hours raw is best to get the smoke on the pork. if you want it to just fall apart    no pullin ...use internal temp probe to 205 ... you  will be able to stir it with a spoon!

^^^ this is what I would do. Just did two x 9-10# couple weeks ago. Cooked first 5-6 hours at appx 250 and last couple hours around 300 and they were killer!! Took them up to 205. One thing I would highly recommend is to plan on having them done about 2 hours early and foil and rest in a cooler. Made a huge difference on mine,

post-2109-0-58808100-1398982991.jpg

post-2109-0-09544400-1398983004.jpg

post-2109-0-59409400-1398983013.jpg

^^^ this is what I would do. Just did two x 9-10# couple weeks ago. Cooked first 5-6 hours at appx 250 and last couple hours around 300 and they were killer!! Took them up to 205. One thing I would highly recommend is to plan on having them done about 2 hours early and foil and rest in a cooler. Made a huge difference on mine,[/quote)

^^this is what I do and it works great^^

I like to BBQ butts at 275 to 300 F. You can also break the butt down into two pieces and remove the bone to further accelerate the cook. It works well and people won't know the difference between hot n fast or low n slow. I can cook a butt with this method in six hours, it's very convenient. The last butt I did didn't go as planned but still turned out great, the wind picked up quite a bit and my Akorn got up to 375. The 5 pound butt cooked in just three hours.

I like to BBQ butts at 275 to 300 F. You can also break the butt down into two pieces and remove the bone to further accelerate the cook. It works well and people won't know the difference between hot n fast or low n slow. I can cook a butt with this method in six hours, it's very convenient. The last butt I did didn't go as planned but still turned out great, the wind picked up quite a bit and my Akorn got up to 375. The 5 pound butt cooked in just three hours.

Have to admit I saw your butt, and it looked great...lol. I think the important thing is the 205 I.T. thats what you need to shoot for

OK, you are wise to think ahead but I really think your butts could be done way ahead of your schedule but thats OK!!!!! BBQ is done when its done but the great part about Pork Butt is you can wrap and store it in a cooler for up to 5-6 hrs and she will be just as good and hot as if you pulled it right off the grill. I always have my pork butt done way ahead of time so I can focus on side dishes and mingling with guest. Don't pull the meat until your ready to serve. When the meat hits 195-205 wrap in foil and then a towel and place her in a cooler until you plan on serving. Sounds like a good time and nice choice to cook for a crowd :)

I prefer to do my butts at 240-250 degrees to help render out any fat.  I find that at 205-225, it just doesn't get hot enough to melt fully.  At 240, I typically plan on 1 hr per pound boneless, 1-1/4 hrs per pound bone-in.  200-205 final, rest for at least an hour in a pre-heated cooler, pull and enjoy... :-D

^^^ this is what I would do. Just did two x 9-10# couple weeks ago. Cooked first 5-6 hours at appx 250 and last couple hours around 300 and they were killer!! Took them up to 205. One thing I would highly recommend is to plan on having them done about 2 hours early and foil and rest in a cooler. Made a huge difference on mine,

Those look awesome Freddy!

• 1 year later...

am doing one today (my 1st) but don't have the luxury of a temperature probe.

Am still new to using my Kamado Joe, but have had a 4 lb pork shoulder on since 2.3 UK time (4.5 hrs) at approx 250 fahrenheit. 

Do you think it is time to remove and wrap?

OK, you are wise to think ahead but I really think your butts could be done way ahead of your schedule but thats OK!!!!! BBQ is done when its done but the great part about Pork Butt is you can wrap and store it in a cooler for up to 5-6 hrs and she will be just as good and hot as if you pulled it right off the grill. I always have my pork butt done way ahead of time so I can focus on side dishes and mingling with guest. Don't pull the meat until your ready to serve. When the meat hits 195-205 wrap in foil and then a towel and place her in a cooler until you plan on serving. Sounds like a good time and nice choice to cook for a crowd :)

I have to agree! I just cooked two Boston butts at 250 (8lbs each) and it took me 12 hours. I double wrapped in aluminum foil and placed In a cooler for 4-5 hours. They will continue to cook a tad and stay hot for several hours! I always allot for several hours ahead, just to let them rest and not be pressured. I've read where some do not let them rest and it doesn't make a difference, but for me why change what is tried and true? I cook this way on all my pulled pork and I've cooked as many as 20 on my large carolina pig cooker.