ckreef

Summer Slaw (100% Vinegar Based)

I know myself and a few others members have wanted a Cole Slaw recipe that was vinegar based without any Mayonnaise. I searched and searched but just couldn't find what I was looking for, so .......................

I decided to take matters into my own hands. And I had an idea of where to start.

For over a week I fed my family different variations of Cole Slaw every night (yea they are tired of Cole Slaw at this point) Some where OK and some were not. Once I got on the right path I tweaked it to a recipe I really like.

P.S. If anyone tries this please give me feedback as this will be served at my wedding in mid July.

Summer Slaw (Vinegar Based)

1/4 Cup ----- White Balsamic Vinegar (I used Pear Infused)

2 Tbsp ------ Juice from a can of canned pears (I used the ones in Heavy Syrup)

2 Tbsp ------ Water

2 tsp --------- Juice from a jar of Bread and Butter Pickles

1 pkg -------- Zesty Italian salad dressing mix

Put above ingredients in jar and shake till well mixed then add

1/2 Cup ---- EVOO

Again shake till well mixed.

This can be used right away but better if left in the fridge over night.

Mix into your favorite cabbage blend 30 - 60 mins before serving.

post-2358-0-08366800-1398981168_thumb.jp

post-2358-0-15660300-1398981154_thumb.jp

Hm. I like mayo in my slaw, but you know ... I'll give this a try and see how it goes.

Most people like mayo in there slaw. This is really for those of us who are not fond of mayo slaw.

But give it a try. Something different.

Ck, is leaving out the mayo for health reasons?

No I really just don't like Cole slaw. Then I tried a Vinegar based one and loved it. Since then I've never found another one like it.

This comes really close so my search is officially over.

Not sure how many more nights my family was going to put up with Cole Slaw before I had a mutiny - LOL

No I really just don't like Cole slaw. Then I tried a Vinegar based one and loved it. Since then I've never found another one like it.

This comes really close so my search is officially over.

Next time I make slaw I will give your recipe a shot.  I am not sure if it would work in your recipe, but if there aren't any allergies in your family try adding some crushed peanuts to it.  I don't like mayo-based slaw, but I love the Thai slaw that has a sweet and sour vinegar sauce with chilies and peanuts in it.  It goes by various names but most Asian cuisines seem to have some variation of it. 

I may give this a try I recently have been scouring online for vinegar slaw recipes.. Mayo slaw has always been just okay for me, when I have had vinegar slaw a few times I loved it..

Would love to hear what you think about it. I was at a sports pub last Sunday for lunch. They had a vinegar based slow. It had no flavor compared to my recipe but it was nice to try another version.

I just tried a peanut sauce that gives the slaw a nice Asian/Thai type of flavor.

I didn't really measure, just mixed in the following:

rice vinegar, peanut butter, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, Sriracha, and ginger.

Next time I make it, I'll try to note quantities.