Sign in to follow this  
Ski-Freak

Saffire Kamado Grill Review

I bought my Saffire last fall and installed it in my Screen Room just off my Kitchen. My table is the Teak Saffire Table which provides a nice generous work area.

9970119195_cf48149840_b.jpgSaffire and Teak by ski_freak1, on Flickr

Having now cooked on this Kamado regularly over the fall/winter/spring I can say I am very satisfied with the cooking results. This is a very stable and predictable Kamado that is easy to control. It is also very handy to be able to cook in any weather, even in the cold snowy winter we just had! Here is a picture from the winter showing some snow outside.

12464924794_dc94c7c0aa_b.jpgProtected Saffire with snowy deck by ski_freak1, on Flickr

The theory here is that the ceramic Saffire stays cool enough on the outside to set it right in a wooden work table, it uses self contained fuel that can be snuffed out at any time by the draft controls - with no danger of a fuel leak, and it is started with starter squares tucked into the lump charcoal and wood chunks with the the lid lowered and the draft controls open.

It lights easily and safely and quickly gets up to temperature. Then it is very easy to adjust the temperature. I bought most of the accessories and was happy I did as the smoking stone, cooking grate elevator, upper level cooking grate, and smokin' wood chip feeder are all very useful and practical accessories. 

Hey Ski-Freak!

You sound satisfied to say the least and great news that the product is meeting your needs! It truly is a great lifestyle isn't it? Keep feeding your fires! 

I'm very happy with this Kamado! It is a lot more forgiving to control than my Akorn - which I ended up moving to my ski house. The Saffire also has a wealth of great accessories and works so well that we really are enjoying an effortless Kamado lifestyle. Being able to cook under cover and out of the elements has been a real boost as well - since in this part of the country weather forecasts are really pretty silly. They say here that if you don't like the weather, then just go back inside for an hour and it will be different when you come back out. Trying to time outdoor cooking almost always fails when you're out in the elements. Now it's a pleasure!

BTW, it's black fly season now - and I didn't miss them when I was cooking under cover this evening.

I do use a small high velocity fan behind me to assist in blowing the vast majority of the smoke out through the screen wall.

This is the small high velocity Lasko Fan bought from Lowes:

13915386797_294f97f64b_z.jpgLasko Fan by ski_freak1, on Flickr

It is positioned on the floor behind the cooking station, and aimed upwards to blow the bulk of the smoke out of the screen wall.

The picture above showing the snow outside doesn't tell the whole story about cooking outside in the winter in New England. This picture provides a better indication:

14122117923_f33d5361ee_b.jpgsnowy outdoor grills by ski_freak1, on Flickr

This is the patio in the winter. Note there are three big lumps of snow. The closest one is a Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi on a slate table. The next one is a large offset side firebox traditional heavy steel smoker with a 20" X 20" side firebox, and a 20" X 40" indirect food chamber. Finally the last one is a large stainless steel Jenn-Air gas grill with rotisserie and catalytic back burner. All three have covers on them, plus are covered with large piles of snow. The patio is also difficult to get around during snow season...

From the outside our screen room looks like this - and you can see the Saffire inside:

13915474729_7aa8d6ae43_b.jpgScreen Room by ski_freak1, on Flickr

It's very convenient for Kamado cooking being right off the kitchen through french doors, year-round.

This "Upper Deck" Cooking Grate is an accessory I bought with my Saffire and allows extra cooking area - plus some up/down flexibility:

9886184495_53ec957a48_b.jpgChx 2 by ski_freak1, on Flickr

The other day I smoked a turkey breast on the main cooking great, set up for low and slow indirect cooking (Smoking Stone set on the top of the fire ring with a Water Pan, and the main cooking grate up on the Elevator as pictured above). After the turkey breast was cooking for a half hour or so, I added the "Upper Deck" and filled it with bacon wrapped scallops so the bacon drippings would baste the turkey breast. I served the bacon wrapped scallops as an appetizer a half hour before the turkey breast was ready, and both were great.