Sign in to follow this  
Ski-Freak

Dual Zone Cooking in the Saffire Kamado

I bought an Ash Dragon Dual Zone Charcoal Grate and fitted it to my new Saffire.

9732098261_22ef42c991_b.jpgsplitter1 by ski_freak1, on Flickr

I added a half circle draft baffle plate to ensure that my entire draft was only going through the charcoal half of my fire bowl.

10481512846_65dca25a42_b.jpgBaffle Plate 3 by ski_freak1, on Flickr

Using this setup develops a smaller more intense fire direct cooking zone over the front half of the fire bowl, and a cooler indirect cooking zone over the rear half of the fire bowl. This has worked very well for grilling smaller quantities of food for just my wife and I. It also works well for smoking up to about 5-6 hours with the indirect smoking stone in place. In the event that I am smoking longer or grilling more food for more people, then I simply remove the draft baffle plate and fill both halves with lump charcoal and smoke wood chunks, as if the perforated divider plate isn't there. There is never a need to bother removing the perforated divider plate as it behaves like it's not even there when both halves of the fire bowl are loaded with fuel. To be sure, you can light one half and the fire spreads to the other half through the perforated divider plate.

Here's an example of dual zone cooking with a big fat pork chops and bacon wrapped asparagus:

9906161955_5a09b2cd6a_b.jpgDual Cooking Zones by ski_freak1, on Flickr

When it was plated it looked like this:

9906343833_a836879b40_b.jpgPork Chop Plate by ski_freak1, on Flickr

Note that a cold corn salad was added.

Here's another example of Dual Zone Cooking:

10750370065_b27248d326_b.jpgporkchopsand duckfatpotatoes by ski_freak1, on Flickr

In front over the Direct Heat are a couple of Pork Chops, and over the Indirect Heat in the rear is a Lodge Fajita Skillet (with its handle cut short with a Sawzall/Hack). In the Fajita Skillet are small potatoes being cooked in duck fat that was saved from another cooking operation. The Fajita Skillet is a nice accessory as its short walls allow the smoky flavor to bathe the food in the skillet. Keeping it over the Indirect Heat makes temperature management a lot easier and never results in burnt and charred potatoes.