Sign in to follow this  
Ski-Freak

Wood Chip Hatch Door Mod for Saffire Kamado

The Saffire includes a Chip Hatch Door that's not so well sealed, so I installed a nomex gasket on it.

9714888720_fde54cc273_b.jpgChip Hatchcover2 by ski_freak1, on Flickr

Now when I snuff out the fire no smoke comes out of this door.

The purpose of the door is to allow adding smoke wood chips while a smoke is already underway, and your smoke wood chunks are burned up, without dismantling the smoker setup. Otherwise the food on cooking grate, cooking grate, grate elevator, water pan on smoking stone heat diffuser, and smoking stone heat diffuser all need to be removed to be able to add more smoke wood chunks. This feature is also useful to overlay a second flavor layer of smoke after the initial flavor layer is burned up. It's a nice useful feature that you appreciate once you have it.

The Saffire includes a Chip Hatch Door that's not so well sealed, so I installed a nomex gasket on it.

9714888720_fde54cc273_b.jpgChip Hatchcover2 by ski_freak1, on Flickr

Now when I snuff out the fire no smoke comes out of this door.

The purpose of the door is to allow adding smoke wood chips while a smoke is already underway, and your smoke wood chunks are burned up, without dismantling the smoker setup. Otherwise the food on cooking grate, cooking grate, grate elevator, water pan on smoking stone heat diffuser, and smoking stone heat diffuser all need to be removed to be able to add more smoke wood chunks. This feature is also useful to overlay a second flavor layer of smoke after the initial flavor layer is burned up. It's a nice useful feature that you appreciate once you have it.

Did the same with mine. Was going to JB weld the hole but this works perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk