• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
ScottyEdmonds

How I cook my Steaks

I have a question. How do you get the grill back down to 350 deg after super heating it that way? Do you just leave the lid up? I thought the ceramic made it maintain temp for extended periods of time...

I have a question. How do you get the grill back down to 350 deg after super heating it that way? Do you just leave the lid up? I thought the ceramic made it maintain temp for extended periods of time...

You don't (not easily anyways)....pretty tough without killing the fire, getting the ceramic cooled and then starting back up.   My BKK has less mass so I can cool it down by placing a very large cooler mass (in my case, a big brick) in it once I get the fire cooled down, but tougher with large ceramic mass.

I've tried steak pretty well with every method multiple times.  Caveman and high heat searing.  Reverse searing.  Open flame to grill grates.  In the end, everyone keeps asking for it seared on the cast iron griddle.

Get that steak seasoned well in advance (I use a smoked chanterelle mushroom seasoning with bourbon smoked salt) and let it warm to room temp.  A little bit of an oil rub down and then a couple minutes a side on a super hot piece of cast iron (I let it stabilize around 600 degrees for a while).  It just doesn't get any better (IMO).

I try to get it as low as possible. I completely close off everything. . During the rest period.

Thanks for the tip!! I tried some Ribeyes last night and they turned out great!! While only going to 500 degs on the sear ,I wasn't ready to burn the paint off the Akorn just yet. Still turned out yummy !! Thanks again!

Hey!! My first post! I have only done one cook on my new Akorn so far, chicken wings and pork chops. They turned out o.k. I am looking forward to a strip steak tonight seared on the Akorn, so thanks for the advice here. Bit of a learning curve from my old kettle. I have a gasser that I almost never use and think I will try to do the finish cook in that. I am sure with my inexperience in cooking on this Akorn I would screw up the temp somehow and not be able to get it down or totally extinguish it or something. Anyway, thanks again! 

Did you see how many times I said Akorn?

900 degrees that is a excessive and if your  dome is 900 then where your fire is its probably over 1400 degrees or higher 

600 to 700 is plenty for steaks i even like 550

but 900 no room for error on that its probably takes forever to cool down lol

great looking steaks btw

I cut up a whole bunch of rib roasts that were $4.44 at Christmas. That is something that i will absolutely do again. I am doing a rib-eye steak a week now.

I get the bed of coals all to the red state. Raking them after about 5 minutes will help. You want an even red bed but do not need it perfect. In truth any thing will work for this part--a hibachi---a Weber kettle-- a bed of coals with a refrigerator grate.

Cook until nice and deep brown on both sides. I look for dark even brown BUT do not want any black tone at all. When brown move to a grate above a diffuser and flip every five minutes until you reach the temp you want.

last night i banked the coals to one side and did the grate over the coals and the half moon difuser on the opposite side with the grate above. The standard Big Joe set up.

I lit the coals and left the dome open and at 10 minutes had a good bed of coals. I put the set up in and let it heat until I got a sizzle on the grate. I do not look for a dome temp at all. The red coals throwing off the infrared are doing the cooking. Last night I never closed the lid until I went to indirect cooking. When cooking this way i want an eye on the steak at all times.

First side--I took a look at 2 minutes and there were grate marks and it was Very light brown. I did a quarter turn and put another 2 minutes on the timer. At one minute more the grease was heating the fire up so I took a look. In that single minute it went from light brown to very dark brown and not quite black. I hate when this happens.

I flipped and when the timer went off at 2 minutes the second side was perfect.

I checked the steak temp and moved to indirect. Then I closed the the dome with the vent wide open. Next I closed the bottom almost all the way and closed the top vent  to about an eugth inch. When I opened it to check the steak five minutes later the dome read 350 and all the coals were grey not red.. I flipped and went another 5 minutes and I had 135 on the thick part.

My wife absolutely loved the barely pink part on the thinner side. Note that steak ended up that way because of the amateur butcher who does better now.

I liked the medium rare side BUT the first side was darkened to the point that it was just a bit bitter. ( very dark brown with black tones). That one minute with the flare up --probably 30 seconds too much took it from perfection to just good. Of course my wife says I am crazy.

I spent 10 minutes getting the bed of coals--5 minutes cooking direct--and 10 minutes indirect with two flips.

I do not see the need  to get the whole Kamado screaming hot in the 900 range. What you want is that red bed of coals. Since you are cooking direct and very fast the meat never knows what it was cooked in. It only knows that the red bed of coal is hot. Then it is so easy to move to indirect.

I find that If I get the Big Joe up to 550-600 and stabilize it gives me the best cook. I do 90-120secs per side sear, then indirect and flip every 4-5minutes. Have been getting the filet and rib-eye an excellent medium-rare consistently.

Question for you all, are you using the Big Joe Half Moon Cast Iron Grate or regular grill grates?