Anyone out there have a Kamado Joe with the stainless vent cap? Or alternatively, has anyone seen the two side by side and would you be able to provide a comparison?

My cast iron vent has already started to rust after a light rain. I understand that will settle as grease accumulates but I do like the look of the stainless topper and I'm considering upgrading the unit that came with my Joe. My local distributor can bring in a stainless cap at around $100 - which isn't free but I'm still tempted.

Does the community have any thoughts on the different vents? The Cast Iron unit has raised letter across the back side that prevents the daisy wheel assembly from sliding backwards, but the stainless unit looks to be smooth. If you open the lid, does the top slide open every time?

thanks

If you're willing to part with your KJ logo and top vent Gasket, you can squeeze on the Smokeware rain cap vent onto a Joe. It will stick-up more than than Big Joe vent. If you look-up the Smokeware vent thread on the Kamado Guru forum, there's a pic of the Smokeware cap there so you can judge for yourself.

It's $35 in change with free shipping with the out-of-stock sale Smokeware is having for the vent. I've ordered one for my Joe so I can work in the rain. I've put a link to the thread.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/10660-smokeware-vented-chimney-cap-rain-solution/page-2

I have a stainless top vent on my ComboJoe's Classic. It works fine and looks t*ts with the ss bands and handle. I insert lock washers on all my top vents to help them hold their positions. Any rust on your CI top vent can be easily remedied by wiping with melted Crisco and placed inside your kamado during a cool down. 

post-3565-0-91140900-1399409240_thumb.jp

I have the stainless steel top for exactly that reason. The dealers CI top vent was showing some rust. If they are powder coated they should not rust.

My dealer was going to throw it in for free with my purchase. The MSRP was listed at $40

I have a stainless top vent on my ComboJoe's Classic. It works fine and looks t*ts with the ss bands and handle. I insert lock washers on all my top vents to help them hold their positions. Any rust on your CI top vent can be easily remedied by wiping with melted Crisco and placed inside your kamado during a cool down.

Hey Andy I really like your set up but do you have a hard time cleaning that stainless top vent or does clean right up?

Hey Andy I really like your set up but do you have a hard time cleaning that stainless top vent or does clean right up?

Haven't done anything yet to clean it, but in all honesty it doesn't get used a lot. It probably has 2 dozen cooks on it. I mainly use the KJ's in the back BBQ Pitt. 

I bought the ss vent for my classic . If I remember I think it cost me about 60 bucks and that was with shipping . It is a nice  heavy vent , I haven't put it on my grill yet . The ci one is working great for now . I bought this direct form KJ .