Pepper Stout Beef (aka Pulled Beef)

DerHusker

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, Freddyj said:

What are people's thoughts on Smoking the Chuckie to 165 and then finishing the cook sous vide?

I suspect it would be a long SV cook. It is doable. 

Interesting idea.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I've done this quite a few times now because it's one of my favorites to make.  I started cutting mine up into thirds or quarters to speed up the process of the pulling, and to get more bark and surface area for the rub and smoke.  We're having a party for a friends 30th birthday tomorrow and he wants this for dinner, but he also wants to play golf in the morning.  I wouldn't be back to the house until probably 1, and I don't know if this give me enough time to do it all and be done before 8 or 9.  I'll have a hangry mob on my hands by then.  So, to my question...

Can I smoke them tonight and get them to 165-170 IT, wrap them and put them in the fridge, then reheat and put with the peppers/onions tomorrow when I get back?  Being realistic, they'd probably go back on around 1:45-2:00 (in foil to stay moist, right?), then with the vegetables around 3.  I hate to mess with perfection, but it seems more convenient for everyone this way.

It worked out great!  It was the first time I'd seen or used Strawberry's steak rub (I use their bbq rub all the time), and I think that really kicked it up due to the high salt content.  I usually find myself adding salt towards the end, but it wasn't necessary.  I'll probably do it this way again in the future when I know I can't be around for the entire day.  Very convenient.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This has been on my to do list for some time. Finally gave it a whirl today. Absolutely fantastic!

The chuck roast I had was only 2.2 lbs, so I reduced the worcestershire and only used two large bell peppers and an onion. And 4 banana peppers that my wife grew. Could have gone ahead and added one more pepper and onion, there was a lot of meat. Used Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks rub and some smoked paprika. Wonderful flavor! Put the roast On the akorn at 11:30 at 250, using the Tempmaster Pro controller. Into the dutch oven at 1:45, raised temp to 325. Shredded at 4 and back on for another hour at 250-300ish. Ready to eat at 5. I'll do this again!