Cast Iron Pan Apple Pie

John Setzler

If you like apple pie, you are gonna LOVE a cast iron pan apple pie cooked on your Kamado!

Recipe:

3lbs Granny Smith Apples, cored, halved, and sliced
1 boxed frozen pie crust (or make your own)
4 Tablespoons of butter + 1 extra Tablespoon of Butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground clove
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp milk

Directions:

Place apple pieces in a large mixing bowl.  Drizzle lemon juice over the apples.  Sprinkle the sugar over the apples.  Mix well to coat apple pieces with sugar and lemon juice and let stand for 15-20 minutes.  

Melt four tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add the apples and toss continuously for 8-10 minutes until the apples become soft.  Using a colander, drain the apples and capture the liquid in a mixing bowl.  Return the captured liquid to the skillet with an additional tablespoon of butter.  Add in the flour, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg and wisk until no chunks of flour remain.  Add the apples back to the skillet, mix well, remove from heat, and let cool completely.  

Line the bottom of a 10" cast iron skillet with one of the pie crusts.  Add the cooled apple mixture to the cast iron pan. Place the remaining pie crust on top of the apple mixture and mold the edges of the crusts together.  Brush the top of the pie crust with the egg wash of milk and beaten egg.

Cook for approximately one hour at 375° or until the crust is as brown as you would like.  If you are cooking this on a grill, just use charcoal and NO smoking wood.

One more truly excellent video for the library, John.  You continue to prove the point, that if you can cook it in your indoor oven, you can cook it on a kamado.  I'm no baker, but this one I've got to try. :bravo:

One question--did the pre-made pie crust come flat, as pictured, or was it pre-formed, thawed and rolled out?

One more truly excellent video for the library, John.  You continue to prove the point, that if you can cook it in your indoor oven, you can cook it on a kamado.  I'm no baker, but this one I've got to try. :bravo:

One question--did the pre-made pie crust come flat, as pictured, or was it pre-formed, thawed and rolled out?

The pre-made crusts come rolled up but they are flat when you unroll them.  

Oh my goodness. Pie in the grill. I am the "pie person" in the family when it comes to holidays. Now I'm thinking that Thanksgiving is going to be interesting this year.

Does the pie get any kind of smoky flavor from the grill? I'm thinking that a wedge of apple pie with a bit of smoke flavor & a slice of sharp cheddar on top might be close to heaven. 

Oh my goodness. Pie in the grill. I am the "pie person" in the family when it comes to holidays. Now I'm thinking that Thanksgiving is going to be interesting this year.

Does the pie get any kind of smoky flavor from the grill? I'm thinking that a wedge of apple pie with a bit of smoke flavor & a slice of sharp cheddar on top might be close to heaven. 

When I'm cooking something like this or bread I tend to NOT put smoking wood chunks on because the pastry, pie crusts, and bread soak up smoke and they can actually have a flavor like a dirty ash tray from it :)  I like to have a clean burning fire with just lump charcoal and no visible smoke when i put something like this on the grill.