Removing Wood Residue

Starting a new thread because this question is strange. I have smoked several cuts with different types of wood. Now when my daughter grilled a steak (unseasoned) and a pizza, she said it tasted like a stick. I have cleaned and oiled the grill thoroughly several times and I don't see any creosote. There is no smell from the cold grill. Would lump charcoal cure the problem? Any ideas as to why this is or any suggestions on how to remedy it?
Cheers,

Cap'n Clyde

Is your cooking grate fairly clean of bits and pieces of previous cooks? Is there any residue in the firebox from what you may have cooked earlier? Is all the wood burned up? If you go through that and still have the problem, then do a high temp burn. It will burn off anything you may have missed.

Thanks for the replies. I think my daughter's problem is she's not using enough heat. I noticed some residue on the underside of the dome and brushed it clean. I've cleaned the box of all wood ashes and suggested she use real charcoal as opposed to the kind you buy in the supermarket. Going to research the ingredients in today's "charcoal." 

suggested she use real charcoal as opposed to the kind you buy in the supermarket

I'd say that's key. Kamado grills are meant to use lump charcoal .. not briquettes. If you're using anything other than plain old pure lump charcoal, then you're probably going to get residue and icky flavors. 

i have a different theory,  I bet you did not let the lump burn long enough.  based on your description, I have been there.  I find letting the grill sit at the desired temp for 20-30 min, removed the raw charcoal smell and taste from the food.  I dont have a good reason why, because there is still plenty of unlit charcoal in my firebox.

hope that helps.

Ben

Archived