• Similar Content

• By KamadoJones86
      Hey guys, I just got done with my first big low and slow cook yesterday. Pork butt cooked perfectly for 10+ hours only to find (literally) hundreds of wire brush bristles sitting in my drip pan when I went to clean everything out. Obviously, this can be a health concern and I even found 2 stuck to the bottom of the grate when I started double checking so the whole batch had to go straight into the trash...completely gut wrenching (but hopefully not literally, we did eat 2 sandwiches before we saw this).

What are you guys using to clean your grates? These bristle brushes have me freaked out now but there is a lot of skepticism around the effectiveness of some of the alternatives. At this point, I just need to know what works well on the KJ so everyone stays safe and no more hard work has to go in the garbage.

Thanks in advance!
    • By Magnus Allgurén
      I decided to try ordering from this company called Smokinlicious Gourmet Smoking Wood, from Buffalo. It's convenient for me as I'm in Canada that they offer both an American website and a Canadian website. 
      Anywho, I once ordered Alder wood from Amazon US, as it's fairly hard to find companies selling Alder wood for smoking in Canada. The customer service that I experienced from this company is almost unheard of. Questions(by email) were answered in minutes, over long weekends and late nights. 

This wood was offered in 30lbs or 15lbs packages so I ordered the 15lbs, as I am trying it out. 

15lbs, cost me $31 CAD, shipping included. So no where near as expensive as the wood I ordered thru Amazon (5lbs/$40US).

Now after all this, the wood has a great aroma as does its smoke and it smokes for a long time. Chunks are the size of appr 2"x2x4",so a fairly nice size. 

I will definitely order from this company again. They offer lots of different kinds of wood. 

Thanks for reading!! 

http://www.smokinlicious.ca
      http://www.smokinlicious.com

• By Owlblink
      Howdy!

I purchased an Akorn Jr. To give low and slow smoking a try. Thus far I have done Drumsticks (brined them overnight), burgers, hot dogs, and ribeye steak. All have turned out pretty well but definitely learning!

I do not yet own a smokestone, I have been making use of either a 12inch pizza pan or a 10ich stainless steel stove top cover wrapped in aluminum.

For now I've been using a cheap wireless Expert Grill thermometer that I place on the center of the grill grate (and inside my steak when I was cooking it).

For fuel I've been using Western BBQ Cooking Chunks such as Cherry and Hickory, lighting them with either a single brick of charcoal or the cottonball coated in alcohol method.

Today I smoked some hotdogs for the second time using a combination of hickory and cherry wood with the 10" heat displacer set inside and a small pie tin full of water sitton ontop of it. I lit my valcano of breviously burnt wood chips combined with several fresh chunks using the cotton ball method. No problems there! Got the heat displacer in and the grate and placed the probe on the center of the grate and stealed it up. The heat rose and stabalized at 226 degrees where it sat for ten minutes. I then slowly opened it up and placed the hotdogs on the grate with half an onion and sealed it back up. Now, my temperature at the grate had gone down to 160 degrees! I suppose it was a combination of lost heat from opening the lid up and placing slightly aboce fridge temp meat inside the smoker. After 10 minutes of little change in the temp I opened the vents further up and it took almost 30 minutes to get back up in the 225-240 range. Basically half my hours worth of somoking was just getting the temp back into the range I wanted it at. The hitdogs turned out fine but I just felt like it could hVe gone better.

Have others had trouble with the temp hanging down low after adding meat to the grill? Should I be adjusting my cooking times to make up for the loss of temperature? I want to try to get the most out of the smokey flavors.

Also back when I cooked the steaks I had it reaching the internal temp I targeted for withing 30 minutes instead of the projected 1-1.5hours it should have taken at ruffly 225-260 range. 
    • By kc_smoke&bbq
      Hi.  I am new too the board.  I love my Char-Griller Akorn and have had it almost 3 years.  Unfortunately, it recently got way too hot and now is in need of an overhaul  I have the crimson red version, but now has a black ring around it where paint burned off (where cover meets bottom half as well as around vent structure up top due to the heat) when it went well past the 700 degrees on the thermometer.  I have a few questions I am asking for help with below.  Some more background....I've never properly seasoned the grate so that is my first step using Pam and heating to 400 degrees for an hour.  Also, I have pinched the gasket after my disaster cook and that seems to have bounced back fine.

1.  Inside of top of grill is kind of a brown/rust color after this incident.  I lightly brushed and wiped with a wet cloth the next day, but after my next cook it still doesn't look right.  Prior to this I would experience the black flakiness that others have mentioned and would brush periodically.  But how do I clean this current situation?

2.  I would like to try and match the original color as best as possible, but am having trouble.  I have linked color I have below.  I'm going to use a flat high-heat paint for the black legs and bottom stand, but I think I need a gloss for red to be consistent with how a new Char-griller Akorn--correct?  Finding a dark red, high heat paint in gloss is proving to be difficult.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-AKORN-20-in-Red-Silver-Kamado-Charcoal-Grill/50387508

3.  Any other tips/advice welcome?!?!?

I am so bummed this happened and am kicking myself, but hoping you all can help.
    • By Donkey Toes
      Looking for some expert advice on how to avoid too much smoke flavor and bitter taste.  Cooking on a Vision Series B.  I'm using hickory chunks.  What's the right amount of wood chunks to use?  I hear a little goes a long way.  I have made the mistake before of putting the wood in with the charcoal before lighting.  When should I put the wood on the coals, and after putting the wood on the coals, when should the meat be put on the grate too smoke?  Ideally, I'd like to smoke meat in the 225 to 250 degrees range.  About how long should it take for the coals to be ready to introduce the wood, and then after introducing the wood, how long should it take before food can be introduced?

Thanks