Sign in to follow this  
S60

Video Editing Software

Looking for recommendations for a robust video editing program. I currently use Magix movie edit pro 17 on a PC which I have been using for several years. It has a steep learning curve in which I have invested a lot of time. I'm considering purchasing a different program because Magix has a habit of occasionally crashing at inopportune times, causing me to have to save my work every five minutes and pray that the file loads properly the next time I start the program. I like Magix because it has keyframes. And it easily enables me to preview lengthy videos and extract out just the short clips that I need for my project.

I have access to a Mac so iMovie as well as Final Cut Pro are options. I know that Final Cut Pro will suit my needs, but it's on the expensive side and I have little experience using Macs. But if it's the hands-down best option, I will use it.

Which video editing programs are you guys using and what do you recommend? Thanks.

Looking for recommendations for a robust video editing program. I currently use Magix movie edit pro 17 on a PC which I have been using for several years. It has a steep learning curve in which I have invested a lot of time. I'm considering purchasing a different program because Magix has a habit of occasionally crashing at inopportune times, causing me to have to save my work every five minutes and pray that the file loads properly the next time I start the program. I like Magix because it has keyframes. And it easily enables me to preview lengthy videos and extract out just the short clips that I need for my project.

I have access to a Mac so iMovie as well as Final Cut Pro are options. I know that Final Cut Pro will suit my needs, but it's on the expensive side and I have little experience using Macs. But if it's the hands-down best option, I will use it.

Which video editing programs are you guys using and what do you recommend? Thanks.

I'll be watching this for replies as I'm in the market also.

Also watching...I use an old version of iMovie, which I can't seem to figure out how to get a 1080p movie out of.  I keep getting 720p, but I really don't know what I am doing.

Video editing it's part of my daily grind. I use adobe premiere pro and I have found it to be very stable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

When it comes to this kind of stuff I go to my teenager who is in to this stuff. He said "Finial Cut" is the best stuff to use and all the kids at school use it. Your going to have to look it up because when he starts to describe it, it sounds like the school teacher from Charlie Brown to me :)

Here is a link with reviews   https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-cut-pro/id424389933?mt=12

I decided to stick with a PC and go with Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum.  The cost is $50, or $100 for the suite ( http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Movie-Studio-Platinum-Download/dp/B00I3MSBC6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400768412&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+movie+studio+13 ).  Here is what I determined:   

For MAC users, iMovie (it’s free) is fine for general videos.  For more complex work, Final Cut Pro ($300) is the way to go.   Final Cut Pro is used by both amateurs and professionals.

For PC users, the analysis is more complicated.  At the bottom end, its clear Windows Movie Maker (it’s free) is fine for basic vides.  On the very top end, its clear Avid ($999 and up) and Adobe Premier Pro are the best options.  Adobe Premier Pro is also expensive (close to $1,000 without the add on programs), but Adobe has a cloud service where Adobe Premier Pro can be purchased for $20 a month, or with all the add on programs for $50 a month. 

For PC users in the middle (ability to key frame, green screen, fancy titles, etc.), the field between $50 and $400 is crowed.  I decided to go with Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum (the Platinum or Suite version, not the basic version) for several reasons.  The cost is reasonable.  The program has been around for a while.  There are lots of YouTube instructional videos and lots of blogs about the program.  A great 8 part introductory video is at http://www.muvipix.com/sms13.php and the site also sells a detailed instructional book.  The program benefits from the trickledown theory in that Sony also makes a professional version called Vegas Pro.  The interface on Movie Studio Platinum and Vegas is the same, so the learning curve is retained if upgrading to the Vegas Pro version. 

The decision process was somewhat difficult because I found very few detailed comparisons of multiple programs.  For example, I could not find someone doing a detailed analysis between what I was using, Magix Edit Pro, versus Sony Movie Studio.   Some of the Amazon reviews for various programs mentioned the pros and cons of other programs.  In sum, most reviews for Sony Movie Studio were positive, and after downloading the 30-day trial version, and watching the 8 part introductory video, I decided to go with Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum.  There may be other programs in the $50 to $400 range that address my needs, but I do not have the time to trial each of those programs and none of them seemed to get as many positive reviews as Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum. 

Well, I spoke to soon. Sony Movie Studio does not like my AVI files, and has very few included presets and effects. So I am eliminating Sony Movie Studio from contention. Currently, I am leaning towards PowerDirector 12 (or if I can hold out, PowerDirector 13 in the Fall of 2014).  http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/powerdirector-ultra/download_en_US.html  PD12 has lots of features and a large online community including a lot of YouTube tutorials.  Another option which I have not yet tried is the free version of Lightworks, a professional editor used by movie studios.  The paid version is not that expensive at $80 a year.  This program has a steep learning curve.  http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_lwks&view=download&Itemid=206