Holiday Weekend Cooking Plans?

Tell us what's on your menu for this weekend. The official start of summer is so exciting :)

I've got a big crowd coming over Sunday. I'm doing Ribs, Chicken and some grilled peppers. We'll do a pasta salad and a cheese plate for finger foods. 

I think I will make ribs on Saturday and a brisket on Sunday. Wife is leaving for a convention in San Diego starting on Sunday morning. dD and I will be solo but she strained her ankle. I think I will be cleaning the pool and making a new deck for the grills.

Whatever is on sale Saturday morning will be what I cook Sunday and Monday. I'm not picky just want a decent deal.

Not sure if it's in your area, but wally world has smithfield spares for $1.97/lb. Not the greatest price I've seen, but with meat prices the way they are, gotta take advantage when you can!

I think I'll pop a couple of steaks on the gasser (no replacement kamado yet) using my c.i. griddle/grate for sear. Nothing special as we'll be at pool parties all weekend. Have fun you all.

I must have missed it...what happened to your kamado?

And to bring the thread back to topic, I plan on filling up the UDS with butts (selling some to guys at work), probably a steak or 2 on the akorn, and turning that shoe leather brisket I attempted into chili hoping it will break down in tenderness...

I'm smoking a 15 pound prime brisket and a 15 pound pork shoulder.  The Akorn is going to be packed!  I added a reinforcement to the upper deck so it could handle the pork.  

I'm planning on a standard dry rub for the pork with some kind of mustard and chili base like APL does and Chris Lilly's injection.  For the brisket I am going to use a similar base and a coffee and chili rub that a friend found in the NYTimes of all places.  it is good.  Fairly close to the contents on that package of black ops rub that getsoutalive just posted about.  I'll post some pictures when I get started.  

So here is what I have been struggling with, people are showing up at 4pm tomorrow.  When do you think I should start cooking?  At the moment, I am thinking around midnight.  That will give me a good 12 hours of cooking time at around 250 or so then a few hours in the cooler and it will be ready when people arrive at 4.  Thoughts? 

Wasn't thinking too much about the food . Too much thought about those that didn't make it back .

Especially In Memory of

Sgt . Richard Ford

Surf City N.j.

35th Infantry Platoon Scout Dog

First Infantry Division

Dau Tieng Republic Of South Vietnam 

KIA Jan 18 1970

My Dog Lobo Best dog in The Nam .

Rest in peace guys.

Without these two I would not be back here. This is more of a time for reflection, lot's of other time to worry about the grill.

Wasn't thinking too much about the food . Too much thought about those that didn't make it back .

Especially In Memory of

Sgt . Richard Ford

Surf City N.j.

35th Infantry Platoon Scout Dog

First Infantry Division

Dau Tieng Republic Of South Vietnam 

KIA Jan 18 1970

My Dog Lobo Best dog in The Nam .

Rest in peace guys.

Without these two I would not be back here. This is more of a time for reflection, lot's of other time to worry about the grill.

Stuff like this helps keep things in perspective.  Thank you for you service and God bless your friends for their heroism.  RIP.  We forget that some of our heroes have more than two legs.  

Have a great Memorial Day!

God bless the service men and women that made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can all enjoy this place.

Memorial Day is becoming more personal to me everyday as I prepare to see my daughter graduate as a PFC in the United States Marines

We had ribs tonight. Thanks guys and gals.

Found some good looking prime Double R Ranch top sirloin chops today so I'll grill those up tomorrow with some salad.  Today I made a passable Super Nachos, so guess I won't have to go to a restaurant for that any more either!  Want to reflect on those who paid a great price to serve our country.