New Akorn user >> first cook

J-dub

Well, did my first cook on my new (un-modded) Akorn kamado for Memorial Day cookout.

Here is my experience.  (critiques, suggestions, etc. appreciated for this newbie!)

Because I've heard stories of low and slow taking 12+ hours, I decided to smoke the night before.

Meat: (1) 10 lb. boston butt    (2) 3 lb. pork loins ,  trimmed, washed, dried.

Rub: a good generous dry-rub applied. Homemade recipe off-line.  Paprika/sea salt/brown sugar based. Rubbed on 5 hours before cook.

Setup: used about 8 lbs. lump in 'volcano' fashion, started from the top with a about 5 small pieces lump started in my chimney, them placed. Heat deflector placed above coals. Drip pan under meat.

Target grill temp:  240-260.

Target meat temp:  190.

-Started smoker up at 9:00 pm.

-Temp. moderated to 244 within about 25 minutes.

-Placed all meat on at 9:25 pm.  (see set-up picture)

-Used my new dual-probe Maverick thermometer with limit settings to above targets. I had first inserted the meat probe into the loins, as I knew they would reach temperature first.

-Had to adjust vents about 5-6 times throughout the night. Would climb to close to 300 periodically, I'd adjust ever so slightly, and then it would slowly loose temp. to 240. Good average of about 265'ish, in my estimation overall.

-After a few adjustments to vents, by midnight the 2 loins were done.

-Re-inserted the meat probe into the butt, and kept going.

-After a few more in-frequent adjustments, the Maverick alerted me (out of sleep!) at 4:20 am, that my boston butt was at 190.  I immediately shut all vents and left meat on for another 5-10 minutes.

-At approx. 4:45 am, removed butt and double-foiled and set to rest in my oven.

-At approx. 6:30 am (after about 2 cups of Joe!) I pulled the meat. Very nicely cooked. Moist and tasted really good.  (see pic)

-Panned up all for slow re-heat later that afternoon when party started.

My overall experience was a good one, for my first try. The loin was REALLY good. Moist and about a 1/4" smoke ring....real nice flavor.  The pulled butt was a little bit dry, but not too bad. The crowd was pleased and none was discarded.   ; )

Looking forward to many more cooks w/ this thing!  Thanks to everyone on here for the great ideas, recipes, techniques, etc. It is really helpful.

Grill on!  

J-dub

post-5306-0-96296800-1401288715_thumb.pn

post-5306-0-90698200-1401288719_thumb.pn

Looks excellent Jsaee!

I'm new as well, haven't tried a low and slow yet on the Big Joe, but your post gives me confidence.

Looks excellent Jsaee!

I'm new as well, haven't tried a low and slow yet on the Big Joe, but your post gives me confidence.

Thanks Glenn.  You can do it!....from what I've read on here, your Big Joe should moderate the temp. even better than mine.

Grill on!

J-dub

Pretty ambitious for your first low'n'slow but it looks like you passed with flying colours! 

I read a lot before my first go....I didn't want to waste $40. of meat!  I was pleasantly surprised how it worked out.  Very excited to do more.

Grill on!