Pitmaster iq110

Just ordered a pit master iq110

Very excited to have this unit for my akorn. I know there is a thread on the ring of fire method, but my question is about the top vents

How open are yours with the iq110. Also the unit looks to have a damper control I am curious what setting most have success with there as well

For temps 275 and below - just a "half-moon" crack. for temps 275 to 325 I go to number 2 or 3 opening on the IQ and crack the top vent so that the opening sliver is just open 1/4 to 1/2 in from the top.

I have one and use it with The Big Steel Keg.  I usually drop the temp probe through the top vent so there is no potential gap in the gasket from the lid to the body.  I close the top vent to the width of the probe cable and it works great.  If I'm using my Maverick digital thermometer then I clamp the IQ110 temp probe to the Maverick one on the grill. 

Excited for you. Can't wait to hear about it. I've held off but am getting more interested in a controller for better sleep on overnight cooks.

My last overnight went great but I did have to save it once after an over zealous last adjustment down before bed. 732 alarmed at 180 per my broad settings at about 2 am. Went full open open and had the temp rescued within 5 minutes. Damped back down to where I should have left it the first time and the Akorn was perfect all night after that.

Afternoon test session of ribs was awesome. Pit held 235 for 5 hours no problems. Did get a little hot at one point but brought itself back down

I'm working on an overnight prok butt right now trying to hold it real low and slow. Sitting at 226 and holding for 2 hours now. Going to bed without a worry

Very happy with the purchase

• 3 months later...

Ordered a Pitmaster IQ110, can't wait to use it. I've had my Akorn for about three years now and it seems I have to babysit it to maintain temperatures at 225*F. For awhile the temperature will not change Then the temp goes up too high and I adjust accordingly. It will maintain for some more but then the temp drops below 200*F and I have to fan the charcoal to get it back up. A lot of my problems occur because of the wind. I keep the damper facing leeward but still have temperature variations. So I decided the Pitmaster IQ will help to allow me less babysitting time.

A properly sealed Akorn may not need the ring of fire with the Pitmaster.  I have the IQ-120 and use the minion method with my sealed Akorn.  No problems with temperature control, and I can have more lump coal in the fire basket for longer smokes.  It works low and slow (225) too. I got the IQ for some of my other smokers, but got the small kamado adapter plate to work with the Akorn. 

I bought the IQ110 and used it for the first time on Saturday/Sunday.  I made an elevated rack in my Akorn using a charcoal grate for a weber kettle and four carriage bolts and I smoked three butts for about 16 hours.  The temperature stayed within 3 degrees +/- of 225 overnight.  The only issue I had was when I attached the hose to the bottom vent, the temperature dropped to about 200 but then recovered and stayed pegged at 225 pretty much until 1PM the next day.  Only time the temp spiked was by about 15 degrees towards the end....and that is because I don't use the expensive lump...I use whatever the supermarket has on hand.

I basically dump a bunch of lump in the basket and take some out of the middle to make a hole (ring of fire I guess).  I dumped a small bag of wood chips (not chunks as I didn't have any on hand) and let the fan do the rest.  The results were better than I expected.  That thing is really simple to use.

Cooked a pork butt overnight on the AKORN using the IQ110.  I don't have it set up for my Primos, yet.  It was nice to be able to go to bed and not worry about temperature getting out of control.  Work up once or twice, and the temperature was always within 3 degrees of my desired 250 degrees.  I woke up at 6 a.m. and the meat was at 160* internal, wrapped it, and went back to bed for another 1.5 hours. 

Butt finished at ten (12 hours total), let it rest 40 minutes, pulled it, and ran it to a potluck event shortly after 11 a.m..  I was not able to stay, but when they called to thank me there was nothing left a few hours later!

The Akorn and the IQ110 are a great combination.