Sign in to follow this  
keastman

pre-painting char griller parts before assembly?

You folks are a great source of information on this board.  It is much appreciated.  I just picked up a char griller kamado kooker from Gander Mountain after reading quite a bit about it over the past few weeks.  I've seen some comments on rust starting are parts.  I live 1/2 mile from the ocean so it's a high salt environment and outdoor stuff suffers as a result.  I just junked my stainless gas grill that has been around for 8 years but the innards have been deteriorating for a few years.  

So, I'm wondering if anyone has pre-painted the legs, shelf arms, legs, etc before assembly to maybe ward off rust a bit longer.  I've seen some suggest replacing bolts and nuts with stainless also.  

Anyone have feed back on life with their Akorns in a high salt environment.  

I'm looking forward to seeing if I got a good one out of the box or will have to fiddle with it to get it up to snuff.  I'm not happy with the Fed Ex delivery at this point.  The axle was protruding out of the box and there are loose screws in the box.  Hopefully all parts will be present and accounted for when I start to assemble.  

As far as the hardware goes, would it hurt to wait and see? Replace as needed. I've heard some people spend $30+ on stainless hardware. Hate to do that without a known need.

I've had mine a year and no rust yet. That said its on a covered porch and Midwest climate so no salt. Not much help here I suppose.

I would think the inside will be safe with regular use. A good cover should help if it's not under a roof. As far as the exterior goes a can of rustoleum would be cheap insurance but a wait a see, treat as needed might be reasonable.

Welcome and happy grilling

I live in Garden Grove, I bought an used Acorn from Huntington Beach, the guy used rustoleum grill paint spray on the all of the bolt attachments, he said he bought the grill new when they first came out, I've owned it about a year and it looks great. The grill is covered and I grill enough (at least one or two times a month) where the cast iron grates are rust free.

I used stainless steel bolts on my initial assembly. Had read how "soft" the ones from CharGriller are, and the were really crummy. Almost all of what you need are 1/2 inch.. And just a few that are 3/4 inch. I got 25 packs of the 1/2 inch for less than $10 from Amazon. Did a little research on the thread size, etc.. and found this to be the best deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00137CI3Q/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 3/4 inch are even cheaper, but you really don't need 25... Maybe check out your local hardware store.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A32JSFS/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used them on one of the cart-Akorns, and three of the Jr's... And would do them all the same if I had it to do again. The quality of metal on the factory bolts is really poor.

I know this isn't the popular answer, but I'd rather spend a little more time and effort and money up front, and have some (false?) sense of security. I figure it's worth it to hypothetically do a little preventative upkeep to avoid future breakdowns. Most people take great pride in their vehicles... they don't wait until the engine starts smoking to check the oil. I'm guessing they wouldn't want soft, weak, crummy bolts holding their wheels on. Just my $0.02.

FWIW, I've had my Akorn over a year now with no cover (other than a popup, which doesn't stop much) through one of the roughest winters in Philly history and the screws are all fine. No rust at all on them. I see a tiny bit of corrosion near a seam, but nothing too concerning at this point. I say wait and see.

Too late, I couldn't take waiting and I assembled it last night.  The bolts actually surprised me, they seemed more robust than I thought they would be.  As I look at the parts, I'd think that the somewhat poor weld seams on the fittings for the legs might be one of the more susceptible areas for rust to begin.  I may hit all the bolt heads up with some rust proof paint and see how it ages.  Then worry about it if rust starts.  Now to burn it in and start roasting some flesh!  As a side note, I did test the thermometer in some boiling water and it was accurate and also cooled down quick.  So, I'd think most of the complaints about them are more about their location rather than the units themselves.