Assembly Tip

Bought my Akorn this week and assembled Friday night. Sealed the air damper assembly with RTV. Seasoned the grill yesterday while learning some temp control using the dampers. I was impressed that a noob like me was able to hold the temp at 400°F +/- 10° on the first try. I used a digital thermometer and found the thermometer with the unit is off by 50°. I did some reading first and only lit a chimney full of coals that I poured into the Akorn once they started getting lit. Seemed to work great. Temp took 20 minutes or so to come up to 400° and I had no problem holding it there. I'm encouraged as charcoal cooking is new to me.

I also measured the temp of the outside dome with a laser thermometer and it was 135° after the one hour seasoning at 400°F (Nice!).

Assembly Recommendation:

One thing I can recommend is getting new 1/4" x 20 x 1/2" bolts for use when assembling your Akorn instead of the cheap bolts that come with the unit. I had some left over from another project and I feel much better about the assembly/build quality now. These cookers are made in China and everything I have bought from China that includes nuts and bolts for assembly has had the same issue - cheap nuts and bolts. Throw away the Chinese bolts, go to Lowes and get some real bolts for about $3. It will make a world of difference in your assembly quality.

Totally agree. Being super careful during assembly, I managed to partially round-off a couple of CG's bolts. Even noticed that another couple, one on shelf bracket and one on lid hinge were partially rounded during assembly at the factory. Probably gonna get the stainless versions as replacements for ALL of them.

I think that's true for the most part but in this case the bolts provided with the Akorn have the softest and most easily rounded heads I've ever seen. I'm now wondering if the indicated (in the installation instructions) 7/16" bolts were actually 11mm - didn't think to try an 11mm nutdriver at the time.

My problem with the bolts was not so much due to the wrench/nut driver fitting them but the softness of the metal and the poor machining of the threads on the bolts. Regardless, new bolts from Lowe's or any H/W store will make a big difference in the quality of your assembly.