Just made a big wood order from charcoal store website. 10lbs peach, 10lbs apple, 5lbs bourbon barrel oak, 5lbs grape vine, 5 lbs cherry

All chunks. 35lbs should last me this year and some of next year.

My question is about the grape. I have used all these except the grape. What expierience do y'all have with this? Is it good on its own or better with a combo? Light or heavy? What meats?

Thanks

Don't know but I would love to. My sister has 380 acres of grapes in Sonoma so I could get some I bet.

Rustwood,

Thanks for the link to the smoking wood chart. Good reference. Anyone ever use honeysuckle wood for smoking? Not on the chart. It's growing wild in my yard and need to remove them anyhow.  Very little info on the web about it, at least that I found.

Does anyone have any further feedback on smoking with vine cuttings?  There are a load of vineyards around here and I see piles of cuttings and old, dead vines, everywhere.  It's probably the most readily available free-of-charge wood and I'd like to find out more, without ruining a dinner with it.

Yes I've been smoking with vine cuttings for a while, very nice smoke flavour, not too overpowering. Goes well with a lot of meats,  especially pork tenderloin, and chicken. Nice with beef too.  Don't use the thin 'cane' type cuttings from the vine as those burn very hot and fast, ideally if you can get trunk and branch and cut into chunks that's best. And obviously only use ones from vines that have been torn up, a vine may look 'dead' during winter but is just dormant!

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I was going to use trunks that have been torn up. There are piles of them everywhere around here. I wonder what the vineyards do with them. 

We have LOTS of wild grape vines locally.  I have used the dried vines before, but it was long ago.  I really don't recall it having any exceptional taste, but being very mild.

Tom