Sign in to follow this  
raleighgrillguy

Help! Akorn Kamado With Cart vs No Cart

Going to finally jump in to kamado cooking and have decided on the Char Griller Akorn.  Was going to buy from HD but these both came up

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Akorn-Kamado-Kooker-Charcoal-Grill-in-Graphite-16620/205026253

and

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Akorn-Kamado-Kooker-Charcoal-Grill-in-Grey-with-Cart-6520/204151650

Thinking I want the one with the cart, and it's $20 cheaper, but I just want to make sure that the actual kamado is the same?  Also, is there a way to tell if these are made after 2012 so there's not a problem (or as big of a problem?) with the air leaks?

Thanks!

Being sold by HD it's 99% they are current stock or at least after 2012.

Both Akorns are basically identical.

If you have the space for the cart go for it. I have the HD cart model and you will appreciate the large side work area and also the bottom grate style shelf.

If you're not going to move it around much, the cart would be great. Also, as long as it has the black vent on top, it should be perfectly fine. Mine didnt have #'s on it last year when I got it so I asked CG cs about it and they sent me an indexed one without even questioning it. Mine was far from air tight though, I think thats a luck of the draw over what one you get. Either way, its an easy fix if its too bad.

No brainier, the cart's the way to go. You're essentially getting a Weber Performer, but it's better, because it's a kamado, and it's a better price than the Performer. Good deal. If I didn't have my Vision, that's the route I would have gone.  

BTW, does HD offer an extended warranty program with this grill? Normally, I shy away from extended warranties, however, in the case of a grill, especially a grill like a kamado, which has a tendency of going nuclear, if you are not careful, I would consider it.

Just seeing this now, but would whole-heatedly agree that the cart is worth the extra $20... Oh wait, it's cheaper? Seriously though, the cart rocks. I'm amazed at how sturdy and nice looking it is. Honestly didn't expect much out of the cart, half-way intended on just putting the grill into a built in counter I'm going to have made, but I really love the cart. I'm very mechanically challenged, and normally struggle putting stuff like this together, but didn't have any trouble with this. Look out for an addendum to the wheel assembly. Original directions had like two washers for the big wheels, updated directions (loose paper stuck in middle of book) have four washers. Basically updating from one washer per big wheel to two. Only other kindof tricky part was the bottom rack of the cart... Each corner has a wire from the rack that goes into a hole in each leg. When you look at it, it makes sense, but not really clear in the directions. Cart is really sturdy and has nice finish and feel to it.

You may have had a lucky miss on not getting their smoking stone. I didn't get one, and they could be magical and life changing... But I did what a lot of people here did, and got the Weber replacement grate and the cheap cast iron griddle from Academy. About half the price, but also gives more versatility.

I'm still a relative newbie, but I love the Akorn. Got three of the Jr's for my boys... May need a fourth for my daughter. Just read some of the "sticky" threads on this forum and you'll have a world of knowledge and experience at your keyboard fingertips. Happy grilling!

Being sold by HD it's 99% they are current stock or at least after 2012. Both Akorns are basically identical. If you have the space for the cart go for it. I have the HD cart model and you will appreciate the large side work area and also the bottom grate style shelf.

Space is the key word. I have the one with the wings and I like the idea of folding them down and putting on a cover. However the cart would hold more beverage.

Hello!

I am new to the forum, but wanted to chime in and say that I just ordered my Akorn from Target.com.  The price was $270 shipped (after signing up for thier red debit card and recieving 5% off and free shipping)  I ordered it this AM and just recieved shipping confirmation.  I was also going back and forth between the cart and the one with the two shelves, I chose the one with the 2 shelves, and I like that they are colapsable and need the space since I'll be keeping it safe in the garage. 

Just thought I'd let fellow shoppers know about this, as I saw someone mention that theirs wason back order for a couple weeks.

Adam