grill grates

captndan

Ok now another question.

I have a big joe 24" and have the jr. on order 13".

My thought process is to use the big joe for big cooks, low and slow etc.  

The jr.  for everyday cooking, grilling etc.  So I think that when I am cooking 2 or 3 steaks I will use the jr. and burgers for the four of us, I will use the jr. as well.  Or quick chicken etc etc etc all jr.  

So do I get grill grates for both??? or just the jr. as I will be searing most of my meats on the jr. 

Ok now another question.

I have a big joe 24" and have the jr. on order 13".

My thought process is to use the big joe for big cooks, low and slow etc.

The jr. for everyday cooking, grilling etc. So I think that when I am cooking 2 or 3 steaks I will use the jr. and burgers for the four of us, I will use the jr. as well. Or quick chicken etc etc etc all jr.

So do I get grill grates for both??? or just the jr. as I will be searing most of my meats on the jr.

Will you NOT be grilling chicken, steak, burgers, etc. when entertaining. If not, then no need for GG's! If yes, you'll love them!!

Bosco - I would counsel against the Jr. For the following reasons.

1) I had a medium BGE and a Primo XL. I always used the XL. I never found the need to fire up the BGE.

2) You dont save any money user the small kooker, at least to my mind. Charcoal is just too cheap.

3) I never who would drop by for dinner. I always tell my friends bring their meat and I'll provide the fire. Can't do that on the small kookers.

Just my 2¢ worth and we all know how much that buys!

All the best to you!

C.C i appreciate that.  I have been torn about purchasing the jr. ever since I put a deposit on one and ordered it.  I have been looking for a secondary cooker to have for different cooks and smaller cooks.  My big joe is great, but if I have a bunch of ribs on the grill, I would like the versatility of a second kamado to sear steaks etc.  

I keep going back and forth.  If money was no object, I would have 2 big joes.  I have toyed with a classic to add to the mix.  I have driven people crazy on KG in and effort to decide what to get.  It was almost perfect timing hearing this email from you today.  Perhaps, I should just be content with the one cooker for now....

grill grates on the KJ Jr are BOMB.

I do not own them for my Big Joe (although I do also have them for the Classic).

Not sure if this helps in any way but I think that you're on track; most of my grilling is classic and jr vs Big Joe (then again, I won my Classic and prob wouldn't own it otherwise which is a shame because I love it!)

I had bought the regular 4/set  grill grates for my propane bbq and then got an Akorn.  I just took my grinder to the outside corners of two of the grates-took about 10 minutes cuz they are soft aluminum and now, using three of the four, I have grill grates for the Akorn.

When I want to use the propane, I just take the three off the Akorn, add the fourth and I am set up.  The three fill up the Akorn nicely.

• 2 weeks later...