Kick Ash Basket for BGE and KJ Classic: What do you think?

I am presently in the process of writting a review on it and I am also doing a few video putting it to the test to see how fast it light and achieve 500 degree F using the basket  and one without using it for comparison and a video on how easy it is to clean ashes with it.

I also brough my grill to 1000F and held it there for 30 minutes and the basket survived and had no sign of warping.

So far I love it better then my High Q grate that I have been using! :)

I have been using one in my BGE and the one in my KJ for about a week now. So far I am quite impress with it and its actully well built!

Stay tune for the review! :)

Looks like the basket I've always envisioned since I bought my Vision, but, as Betty says, it just may not be big enough to work well in the Vision's firebox. Compared to the baskets made by Komodo Kamado, as well as Kamado Rocket, who both charge nearly twice that much for their respective charcoal basket, I would say $4o is a decent price.

Ross - the Komodo Kamado basket cost anywhere from about $4,500 to $6,500 depending on the model. Shipping costs extra! KK throws in a kamado with the purchase of every charcoal basket you buy!

Lol, well put. It seems to me I read somewhere where Dennis was supplying disgruntled Richard Johnson K7 owners with replacement fire baskets, for over $100. each, then as his business expanded he stopped selling the basket only. I could be mistaken, I'm sure some KK owners here on the forum could fill us in on the story....

I'm very interested in the review for this ash basket, and I KNOW I want to start using something for my Vision.  Yesterday I experimented with a steamer basket insert that did the job as far as holding the ashes, but the bottom will not hold up to the heat so I'm looking for something else.  However, I can't tell you how nice it was to lift out the basket of coals after they cooled, take it to my ash bucket and shake until the ash was gone, leaving unburned charcoal.  My grill was as clean as if I had vacuumed it, and it also heated/cooked more efficiently and quickly.  I'm definitely a fan of the ash basket and I've been doing a lot of research on what would work for my Vision Pro S 15" grate and 12" fire bowl.  This is a very timely, for me, discussion.  That said, the "bottomless" ash bowl I bought does fit inside my shallow ash filtering basket, so I'll use it that way for now.  See picture in my thread in the cooler.  Also a picture of how clean the bottom of my grill is when I removed the ash basket after a cook.

I am wondering if baskets like this would change the number of cracked fireboxes we see. Do any companies besides the uber high end kamados have them?

Mewantkj - most cracked fireboxes are caused by internal stresses built up over time from uneven heating and cooking. I don't believe that the basket would do much to alleviate this problem.

Jus my opinion and we all know what that's worth!

My review should be completed this weekend! Making a few video testing it takes time! I am waiting 24 hour after each burn to run different test to insure grill is completely cooled. Also 
I did witness a few of the fire bowl get cracked by people hitting them with the ash tool on the Navy ship. The Canadian Navy has two Kamado Joe per MCDV class of ship.