Tri Tip idea...What do you think? Advice wanted.

I have an Akorn, and I find the thought of the reverse sear a bit too much work and handling of a hot cast iron grate (not to mention I can't seem to go from low heat to high heat very fast).  So, was wondering if I could get some pretty high heat, sear it for a couple minutes on each side, then just put my pizza pan on the main grate to act as a diffuser, and toss the Tri Tip up on the higher grate that comes with the Akorn until it hits 130 or so.  

You guys think that would be a decent way to do a Tri Tip?

I agree mapett, I don't think a reverse sear is worth the effort on that thin of a cut of meat. I marinate mine, give them a quick hot sear on both sides, then close all the vents until it reaches an IT of about 125*F. Like you stated, I use a pizza stone after the sear.  Be sure to slice it against the grain. Here is a good & simple marinade:

Marinate overnight or as long as you can.   Use Teriyaki sauce and add some Worcestershire sauce, fresh garlic, a little salt, fresh pepper and soy sauce. 

Edited by andyscalzo

That would work just fine... tri-tip is quite easy. To be honest, one of the best tri-tips that I have done (and we do a lot)...was about a month ago. Didn't sear it, but instead, cooked it the entire time on the upper grate at 450-500°. Flipped it every 10 minutes or so til done. The crust was out of this world. Also, if it gets a little to much char before reaching the right IT, simply spray some aluminum foil with cooking spray, and put it under the tri-tip.

Mapett, 

I use a pan with potatoes,  onions,  carrots, celery, garlic, herbs, olive oil, and beef broth siting on my main grate as a diffuser with benefits. I stick a probe in the Tri Tip and put it on the second tier above the pan. I let the Tri Tip's IT come up to around 120, usually the veggies are done at that time as well. I simply pull the pan and put the Tip on the main grate to sear. Pretty easy process with excellent results. I have done this several times and it always produces a great meal. I like a simple Santa Maria style  rub with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and garlic powder. Sometimes I let the Tip marinate in apple cider, with a little salt, and honey. I think Tri Tip is at it's best when it is done in the  traditional Santa Maria (home of Tri Tip)  style.  Good luck. 

Mapett, 

I use a pan with potatoes,  onions,  carrots, celery, garlic, herbs, olive oil, and beef broth siting on my main grate as a diffuser with benefits. I stick a probe in the Tri Tip and put it on the second tier above the pan. I let the Tri tip's IT come up to around 120, usually the veggies are done at that time as well. I simply pull the pan and put the Tip on the main grate to sear. Pretty easy process with excellent results. I have done this several times and it always produces a great meal. I like a simple Santa Maria Rub with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and garlic powder. Sometimes I let the tip marinate I apple cider, with a little salt, and honey. Good luck.

^^^^^^^^^ yep

Mapett- I do pretty much what you and Andy said. Get the Vision up to 500 or so, 2 minutes on each side and then close everything up, I don't put anything underneath though I just let it ride. Always seems to turn out excellent.

Mapett,

I use a pan with potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, herbs, olive oil, and beef broth siting on my main grate as a diffuser with benefits. I stick a probe in the Tri Tip and put it on the second tier above the pan. I let the Tri Tip's IT come up to around 120, usually the veggies are done at that time as well. I simply pull the pan and put the Tip on the main grate to sear. Pretty easy process with excellent results. I have done this several times and it always produces a great meal. I like a simple Santa Maria style rub with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and garlic powder. Sometimes I let the Tip marinate in apple cider, with a little salt, and honey. I think Tri Tip is at it's best when it is done in the traditional Santa Maria (home of Tri Tip) style. Good luck.

Several thoughts

I love a reverse sear on an inch or greater steak, especially if I plan to get a little smoke in which I LOVE on some nice thick sirloin or rib eyes. If you don't add smoke them maybe not worth it to extend cook time.

Also, the ease in moving the Akorn main grate around is one of the big selling points it holds IMHO. I have a Pyrex pie pan that I set it on to keep it from burning the table or floor I set it on while maneuvering other stuff. If it's a big hassle for you, maybe order a second lifting tool to make it extra extra easy and a two hand affair.

Third, if you want a reverse sear without lifting the main grate, then place your diffuser on the main grate and do the lower temp cook on the second level. When you move to high heat, revive the diffuser and move the meat to the main grate once up to temp.

Cheers, happy grilling

I ended up doing the 500 sear both sides 2 minutes, then top basket and shut the puppy down completely.  I took it off at 129, but wish I would have taken it off at IT of 120.  It was good, not great.   I haven't been in love with this cut so far the 2 times I've eaten it.  Maybe it's the Iowa boy in me.  I have a better go of it with flank steak.  By the way, the seasoning I use for this and for flank is Penzey's Chicago Steak Seasoning.  It's the bomb.

Mapett,

I use a pan with potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, herbs, olive oil, and beef broth siting on my main grate as a diffuser with benefits. I stick a probe in the Tri Tip and put it on the second tier above the pan. I let the Tri Tip's IT come up to around 120, usually the veggies are done at that time as well. I simply pull the pan and put the Tip on the main grate to sear. Pretty easy process with excellent results. I have done this several times and it always produces a great meal. I like a simple Santa Maria style rub with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and garlic powder. Sometimes I let the Tip marinate in apple cider, with a little salt, and honey. I think Tri Tip is at it's best when it is done in the traditional Santa Maria (home of Tri Tip) style. Good luck.

Several thoughts

I love a reverse sear on an inch or greater steak, especially if I plan to get a little smoke in which I LOVE on some nice thick sirloin or rib eyes. If you don't add smoke them maybe not worth it to extend cook time.

Also, the ease in moving the Akorn main grate around is one of the big selling points it holds IMHO. I have a Pyrex pie pan that I set it on to keep it from burning the table or floor I set it on while maneuvering other stuff. If it's a big hassle for you, maybe order a second lifting tool to make it extra extra easy and a two hand affair.

Third, if you want a reverse sear without lifting the main grate, then place your diffuser on the main grate and do the lower temp cook on the second level. When you move to high heat, revive the diffuser and move the meat to the main grate once up to temp.

Cheers, happy grilling

I like your idea about putting the diffuser on the main grate for the reverse sear.  That would not be hard at all.