S60

Caramelized Onions - Slow Cooker

e3y9yta8.jpg

It's not too late to start a batch of slow cooker caramelized onions to accompany your Kamado meal for this evening. Fill a slow cooker with sliced onions, a bit of oil, and salt. I used a tablespoon of oil and a half a teaspoon of salt for a large crockpot. Cook on high for six or seven hours, or low for 10 hours. Adjust times according to your likeness. Sometimes I will finish off the cooked onions in a pan for 15 minutes to enhance the caramelization and reduce some leftover moisture. Freeze leftovers in ice cube tray or small containers for later use at your disposal. Today I am cooking the onions on my back porch to avoid smelling up my house.

I tend to cut up 10 lbs at a time and cook them on the stovetop for a few hours. first on high until they soften, then on low for an hour or two. Keeping the lid on allows for the steam to condense and run back down. Remove the like to get a nice brown carmel color at the end. 10lbs generate about 2 lbs of finished product. I freeze 1 cup portions and, thaw, use, refreeze as needed. The crock pot method is something I have seen, maybe in cooks illustrated, but never tried. I am sure the results are similar with a lot less work.

I would love to see the finished result.

Oh nice! I usually do mine in the dutch oven in the regular oven, but the slow cooker would make sense, too, and not heat up the kitchen. Like Jerri said, it's always nice to find a way to put the slow cooker to use in the summertime!

The crockpot is 6 quarts and was full when I started. I ended up with 1 and 2/3 cups of cooked onions. I froze the onions in 1/3 cup portions using a 1/3 measuring cup.

da3utumy.jpg

Edited by S60

S60 said .. " Today I am cooking the onions on my back porch to avoid smelling up my house. "

I thought I smelled something good wafting through the air in North Georgia. Guess I was right.

Great idea. One of those that triggers the "Why did I not think of that?" reaction.